CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   What RPM should I shift at and does anyone want to join me at LACR tonight? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/803714-what-rpm-should-i-shift-at-and-does-anyone-want-to-join-me-at-lacr-tonight.html)

Jay M 04-21-2004 03:04 PM

What RPM should I shift at and does anyone want to join me at LACR tonight?

This afternoon I am going to LAncaster to have my car dyno tuned, and then heading over to LACR to go drag racing :) This will be the first time there with the new engine. My last time was 14.6 or something, I hope to do MUCH better this time:) I had 236 rwhp, now I have 404rwhp and a TKO 5 speed.

My question is at what rpm should I shift?

thanks,
~Jay

comp 04-21-2004 03:34 PM

Re: What RPM should I shift at and does anyone want to join me at LACR tonight? (Jay M)

you will need to use the HP & Torque data to get a idea, then you will probably
find out you will need to adjust for your available traction at the track :thumbs:

tshort 04-21-2004 04:04 PM

Re: What RPM should I shift at and does anyone want to join me at LACR tonight? (Jay M)

If you've got your dyno sheet handy, then just plug them in here:
http://www.prestage.com/Tech+Info/Drag+Racing/1121.aspx

Eddie 70 04-21-2004 04:04 PM

Re: What RPM should I shift at and does anyone want to join me at LACR tonight? (comp)

Have a blast Jay. I would come out and watch but my dang car is in paint shop prison. :jester

Good luck, have fun and make sure you tell us about your results.

PRNDL 04-21-2004 04:09 PM

Re: What RPM should I shift at and does anyone want to join me at LACR tonight? (Eddie 70)

First time down I would keep it real conservative and shift at 5000 - 5200... just develop a baseline. I find it hard with the helmet on because I can't hear the engine very well. Sometimes I can't even tell the tires are spinning :eek: MJ

PRNDL 04-21-2004 11:51 PM

Re: What RPM should I shift at and does anyone want to join me at LACR tonight? (MNJack)

back yet???? :)

Jay M 04-22-2004 02:08 AM

Re: What RPM should I shift at and does anyone want to join me at LACR tonight? (MNJack)

Someone on the forum warned me not to get those Kuhmo tires.... I spun the tires through first AND second gear!!

At the beginning of the night I ran 13.2 @ 109 several times.

The best of 15 runs was 12.9 @ 110
60 ft= 2.072
8.511 @ 86.380 (1/8 mile?)
ET- 12.993
MPH- 110.517

As the night went on I got slower and slower. The track got real slick.

There was another guy there with a 700hp blown 427 C5-R C5 Vette. He had major traction problems. His best was 12.2 @ 126mph

There was also a 700 rwhp Impala SS that ran 15 on his first run! He didn't have a roll cage so he was being carful. He latter ran 12.1 at 120... I was racing him that time :)

The fastest car of the night was a race prepped Integra it ran 11.4 !!!

There was one of those Dodge trucks with a Viper engine, he ran 14.?

The funniest car of the night was a civic that did a 20 seond burnout, it sounded like a chain saw! lol... he ran against one of those new Infiniti car/truck/suv's AND LOST! LOL both were in the mid 14's

It was a really fun night and my car ran great! I met a guy who has a 70 Vette that runs 10.7! He will be there saturday for a special Vette day. I might try to go again.

I learned that it takes a lot more than HP to run quick! Now I need some better tires.

~Jay

Gordonm 04-22-2004 07:15 AM

That is great. A 60 foot time of 2.0x on street tires is very good. I average around a 2.1x with a best of 1.97 on a sticky track. Sticky tires would bring you in the mid 12s easy. Some tuning and tweaking and you should be low 12s.