CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Anyone Install Their Own DTE Strut Brace? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/883817-anyone-install-their-own-dte-strut-brace.html)

Mean Green 08-14-2004 01:11 PM

Anyone Install Their Own DTE Strut Brace?

I ordered one as just another piece of the preventive maintenance for the drivetrain and it came in today....will drop it off at the shop on Monday but there are no instructions. I know it can't be that hard to match up the brace pieces to the install points on the tranny case but if I can make it easier on the shop, I'd like to do so :)

Anyone have some insight or tips they can share, thanks :cheers:

runamuk 08-14-2004 01:46 PM

I was at LG motorsports when they were installing their first one, after everyone fumbled around with it they finally went to DTE's website and got a picture of it installed and bolted it right up :cheers:

Mean Green 08-14-2004 02:59 PM

Kinda what I thought, thanks man :cheers:

ALLKAR 08-14-2004 03:09 PM

Just be sure to get the washer spacers right on the PASS. side.
The install is pretty much straight forward.

Mean Green 08-14-2004 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by ALLKAR
Just be sure to get the washer spacers right on the PASS. side.

Are there only spacers for the passenger side or is it something else, thanks :cheers:

ALLKAR 08-14-2004 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mean Green
Are there only spacers for the passenger side or is it something else, thanks :cheers:

I only remember them on the PASS. side.
The spacers go on the PASS. side Trans. Bracket. There is a stud on the Trans. It has a nut on it, which leaves a space. Thats why you need the washer spacers. I also had to reverse the mounting on the Lower Pass. Strut Rod. There was a Rib on the Trans.
in the way. I don't know if yours will be that way??

Mean Green 08-14-2004 06:07 PM

Thanks again :cheers:

Dope 08-14-2004 08:19 PM

I'll check my email but I'm 99% sure Phil told me to use 3 washers on each bolt as spacers on BOTH sides.

Dope

Mean Green 08-15-2004 11:09 AM

Please do and let me know...thanks!

I'm dropping it off tomorrow and would like it to go as smooth as possible :) :cheers:

DTE Powertrain 08-15-2004 05:59 PM

FYI, this will help you-

Separate all the large diameter washers into 8 stacks of 3 per stack and install one stack between the transmission bracket and the transmission mounting flange on BOTH sides. This spaces the bracket out from the transmission flange properly to avoid interference with the transmission gusseting. The final installion order of the trans. bracket is Bolt-Washer-Trans. Bracket-3 washer spacer-Transmission flange.

After you remove the main transmission wiring harness clip from the stud on the right (pass) side, drill out the original 6mm bolt hole to 3/8" so that you can re-install it back onto the respective new strut brace bolt on the right side to again secure the main trans. wiring harness to the drivetrain for an O.E. fit and appearance.

Be sure to tighten the two upper strut rods first and then follow to the bottom strut rods last. Turn each rod, in sequence~ until hand tight and then 1 1/4-1 1/2 turns past zero lash for proper 4-link pre-load.

The machined hex's in the strut rods (upper & lower) on the driver side face the rear of the car and the machined hex's on the pass. side (upper & lower) face the front of that car.

Everything else in the installation is very straight forward. :)

Best Regards,
DTE

Mean Green 08-15-2004 06:30 PM

Thanks Phil :)

Appreciate the input and looking forward to getting those gears, almost everything else is done :) :cheers:

I'll most likely give ya a holler to get them "fast shipped" directly to the shop :) :cheers: