CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Airbag on 85 vette? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/884584-airbag-on-85-vette.html)

gsfan 08-15-2004 09:30 PM

Airbag on 85 vette?

HI, I am a newbie in search of my first vette, and will probably buy a mid 80's car... I notice that these cars have huge passenger side dashboards directly in front of the seat... Is this for an airbag?, or is it just padding? If just padding, what was Chevrolet thinking? If it is an airbag, is it defeatable? i.e. can I install a switch to turn it on and off? Thanks for helping out. I have owned classic mustangs for the last twenty years and have always loved corvettes, but they are new to me...

*89x2* 08-15-2004 09:38 PM

the crash pad, breadbox, or whatever is just a pad - no airbags, etc.
there are kits to make it a flat panel if you don't like it :thumbs:

Dogs 86 Vette 08-15-2004 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by gsfan
HI, I am a newbie in search of my first vette, and will probably buy a mid 80's car... I notice that these cars have huge passenger side dashboards directly in front of the seat... Is this for an airbag?, or is it just padding? If just padding, what was Chevrolet thinking? If it is an airbag, is it defeatable? i.e. can I install a switch to turn it on and off? Thanks for helping out. I have owned classic mustangs for the last twenty years and have always loved corvettes, but they are new to me...

If my memory serves me correctly after all these years. :crazy:

The breadbox was GM's answer to non-mandated passive restraint systems from the feds. This was prior to driver side airbags which were a few years ahead of the passenger side airbags. It is nothing more that a big pad that you get to bounce off when you run into something. :ack:

Bob
Save the wave

Z-07 freak 08-16-2004 11:36 AM

It's the Flinstones airbag.

AZ Z51 08-16-2004 12:28 PM

When I bought my 86 someone had bandsaw cut a notch out of it,and put a portable TV in the dash.It was wired to VCR in the back storage compartment.It was probably cool back in the day,but it was all warped by the time I got it.

vader86 08-16-2004 02:31 PM

The original purpose of having the 'breadbox' was because GM thought the feds would require passenger side airbags, it turned out that it wasnt necessary, but they got stuck with the large pad.

CentralCoaster 08-16-2004 03:50 PM

No airbags, no ABS, no traction control...

I think the only safety feature on this car is the accelerator pedal. :lol: It's saved my azz on several occasions.

Muffin 08-16-2004 04:46 PM

No airbags,no ABS,no traction control... I think this is why I like mine so much. No frills only fun. To keep the thread legal,no passanger side pad.