CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   MTI C6 - Cam and Headers - 402.8 rwhp! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/919367-mti-c6-cam-and-headers-402-8-rwhp.html)

poolfanatic 10-05-2004 05:43 PM

MTI C6 - Cam and Headers - 402.8 rwhp!

Just got through installing one of our camshafts and a set of Kook's 1 7/8 with cats on our shop C6.

Baseline pull was 354 rwhp - after the cam and headers - 402.8 rwhp!

Should see even more after the tuning software is available and our new cold air intake hits the streets!

All in all, very pleased with the results.

Thanks and best regards,

David Coates
MTI
Houston, TX

Timmy! 10-05-2004 06:14 PM

:cool: - Sounds like the lack of tuning software is really keeping the #'s down for everyone.

jschindler 10-05-2004 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Timmy!
:cool: - Sounds like the lack of tuning software is really keeping the #'s down for everyone.

I hope you are kidding! 50 hp with just a cam a headers is damn good. If you don't believe it, look at how few Z06's ever made over 400 with just a cam and headers. I hope you realize MTI has not touched the heads yet.

don527 10-05-2004 08:50 PM

Very awesome :thumbs: That's more power than A&A's numbers and he's got the AFR heads on them!

This is without tuning?
Which of your cams did you decide to go with?

Don

Originally Posted by jschindler
I hope you are kidding! 50 hp with just a cam a headers is damn good. If you don't believe it, look at how few Z06's ever made over 400 with just a cam and headers. I hope you realize MTI has not touched the heads yet.

minivette 10-05-2004 08:56 PM

Are you actually saying that there are not many Z06's making 400+hp RWHP with a cam and headers? If so I think you had better look around some.

jschindler 10-05-2004 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by minivette
Are you actually saying that there are not many Z06's making 400+hp RWHP with a cam and headers? If so I think you had better look around some.

Yes, thats what I'm saying. And yes, I have looked around some.

Timmy! 10-06-2004 12:07 AM

No I am not kidding - I know they can get even more with some tuning and I can't wait to see what the #'s are then as I know what MTI is capable of!

minivette 10-06-2004 12:16 AM

Yes, thats what I'm saying. And yes, I have looked around some.

Must not have looked very far.

jschindler 10-06-2004 08:27 AM

First, I didn't say there were not any (read my post).

Second, you act like you know it all - how many do you think there are?

I have a very good friend who had a Z06 with FLP headers, MTI cam, and MTI "tuning". He always claimed it had 403 because of a spike in the dyno - but we both knew that it actually had a solid 398. That is what it dynod at several times. They were never able to get it over 400 again. They all knew the spike was a fluke that could not be duplicated.

My point is, talk is free. Even my friend admitted to stretching the truth. Give me examples of how many actually make the number (400 or more). Not many.

C5 CU 10-06-2004 08:59 AM

I have seen ZO6s with headers and cam only range in rwhp from 385 to 430rwhp and the higher numbers are w/o cats and commonly with u/d pulley. Very dependent obviously on "size" of cam and tuning ... but moderate size cam in the 224 to 228 range get about 400 to 410rwhp....
I always like to see rwtq...only a few make 400rwtq and most are in the 370 to 380rwtq range.

21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR 10-06-2004 12:31 PM

Dyno #s

First, I didn't say there were not any (read my post).

I have a very good friend who had a Z06 with FLP headers, MTI cam, and MTI "tuning". He always claimed it had 403 because of a spike in the dyno - but we both knew that it actually had a solid 398. That is what it dynod at several times. They were never able to get it over 400 again. They all knew the spike was a fluke that could not be duplicated.

My point is, talk is free. Even my friend admitted to stretching the truth. Give me examples of how many actually make the number (400 or more). Not many.

Depends on who's Dyno the # is being claimed on,
we have seen discrepancies of 18 RWHP on a H/C
car on our Dyno vs a competitors.
Too easy to play tricks.

jschindler 10-06-2004 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by 21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR
Depends on who's Dyno the # is being claimed on,
we have seen discrepancies of 18 RWHP on a H/C
car on our Dyno vs a competitors.
Too easy to play tricks.

I completely agree with this :cheers:

minivette 10-06-2004 04:05 PM

I went over to z06vette.com and did a earch on "cam dyno" and it was hard to find a car that didn't do over 410rwhp with some hitting 440-450rwhp. THere were plenty of threads to read about numerous cars.

Knock yourself out. :lol:

jschindler 10-06-2004 04:42 PM

I went over to z06vette.com and did a earch on "cam dyno" and it was hard to find a car that didn't do over 410rwhp with some hitting 440-450rwhp. THere were plenty of threads to read about numerous cars.

Knock yourself out. :lol:

With all due respect- I think you missed something important. Those numbers had to have been WITH head work. Please check again. What we were talking about was cam and HEADERS, but no head work.

Check your information then we'll see who gets knocked out. If I'm the one, I'll eat crow and admit it
:cheers:

minivette 10-06-2004 06:38 PM

I think you are sorely mistaken. Since you obviously didn't take the time to read any of the threads that come up when you do the search. :rolleyes:

Let me explain it to you. Do a search, only click on the threads that talk about cams. Then, when you read their first post it will tell you their mods. Here, I'll hold your hand and do some for you.

Results: Cam only + LG Pro Long Tube headers and 2 zip ties

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's right, G5X-1 This was one cam before the G5X-2 and it only got limited use, because our G5X-2 produced more hp on a Cam and head car shortly after the X-1 came out.

The Cam package and Headers were shipped to Indiana and installed there. Then the car went to Speed inc in Chicago for a dyno session. The only other mod to the car was the Filter with the "Zip Tie mod". This is also through the stock mufflers. The Results:

413rwhp 400rwtq

This car is pure stock except for the LG Pro Long Tube Headers, G5X-1 cam and a couple of zip ties. The first pull, untuned was 404rwhp. the tuning gained 9 more hp at Speed inc. The headers were the off road version with no cats.

Below are the dyno results of the LG Cam Only package on my 2003 Z06. The baseline was 363.3 RWHP and 349.4 RWTQ when the car was bone stock with 500 miles on it. The second graph after the addition of the LG Pro Long tube headers and the LG Cam only package using the G5X-3 on a 114 was 427.1 RWHP and 401.2 RWTQ. The gain over stock is 63.5 RWHP and 51.8 RWTQ translating to a 485 BHP and 455 lb/tq package at the engine.
LOL, here's one with just headers that nearly hit 400rwhp.

Here is a post from Jeremy (Godspeed) about his LG Pro Long Tube before and after on the corvette forum. He has stock Titanium Mufflers.

Quote>>>
Rolled into LG this morning to have the new headers installed on my 03 Z06. Before the install we did a baseline dyno for an accurate before and after comparison. Current mods are air filter/bridge, underdrive pulley, and tuning. I did two baseline pulls, the best of which was 370.4RWHP/357.4RWTQ. Next we put her on the lift and installed the headers in a couple of hours. After the install I took her out for a quick test drive and then right back on the dyno. Had to correct the tune slighly as it was running a little richer with the headers, but after a couple of pulls she put out 393.3RWHP/382.8RWTQ. This was a gain of 22.9RWHP and 25.4RWTQ with the same tuning, same day, same coolant temps, and same air intake temps.

We added a Star Spec stage 3 clutch, 10% underdrive pulley and, most importantly, a Comp Cams 232/236 .574/.578 on a 113 LSA with all neccesary springs/retainers/etc. The car gained almost 50 HORSEPOWER!!!
It then dynoed at 418.3 RWHP and 382 RW torque after tuning in the Florida heat and humidity. I'm sure the car will easily turn 425 RWHP in cooler air. This is on a car that the heads have never been off the car. I am very pleased with the results. Driveability is better than I expected, Idles at around 1000 rpm's and there seem to be no ill effects or negative issues. I drove the car for an hour on the highway and it drives identical to how it did pre-cam in cruise.

I ended up going with the TR227/225 .569/.563 114 cam. I made 410rwhp before tuning and 423rwhp/393rwtq SAE after!

My mods are listed below, and I only turned out 396rwhp. Ive found dyno numbers to be misleading. Most people will tell me my numbers on the dyno are low, but my track numbers arent too bad.

03 silver ZO6 with powder coated wheels

MODS: lowered. Eradispeed Rotors, Vararam, S2 throttle body, Comp Cams 224/224 114lsa w/ 581lift, Stainless Works Headers, Magnaflow X-pipe.

PERFORMANCE: 11.40 @ 121.26 w/ 1.65 60' on ET Streets

11.74 @ 120.85 w/ 1.83 60' on the stock F1's

This morning we straped the car on the dyno, and got SAE 410rwhp/380rwtq. This was with STOCK tuning!! The wideband O2 showed that it was too lean in the low to mid-range, and rich up top.

After tuning with LS1 edit, they re-dynoed, and it pulled SAE 423rwhp/393rwtq with stock heads!! My dynos beat two other C5's that dynoed today with heads and cam, across the entire RPM band, by a considerable margin (~20rwhp).
And here's one with heads ,cam and exhaust.

G5X-2 Cam and head dyno results 470.6 rwhp 430.5 rwtq in a Z06

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeremy will post the graph in a few minutes.
470.6 rwhp 430.5 rwtq.
There is a spike at the end of the hp, so we put the cursor before it to show the exact numbers.

Still, there is no spike at the peak Torque of over 430 rwtq. And it is over 400rwtq from 4100 rpms to almost 6000 rpms.

The car is a Z06 with our G5X-2 cam and head package with our LG Long tube headers, LG "X" pipe through a Corsa PRT muffler. It also has a ported
Throttle body and Vararam.

Thanks,

Lou Gigliotti LG Motorsports
I'm tired of doing your work for you. Do a little research next time.

Demented 10-06-2004 06:51 PM

All I'm going to say is dammnnn...you like proving you're right eh? hehe:)

WhiteDiamond 10-06-2004 07:31 PM

Nice work!!!

I am betting once the tuning software for LS2 is available, these numbers should equal and surpass the 2002 and up LS6 numbers easily.

Either way, MTI has some nice numbers for an untuned cam/headers package there.

Todd

Z06ufgrad2002 10-06-2004 08:07 PM

See my sig for adding more to the proving grounds of the >400 rwhp.

:iagree: These are good numbers that MTI has put down w/o any tuning.

EuG 10-06-2004 08:30 PM

Let's not forget that LS2 is 6.0L vs LS1/6 5.7L
I agree ~400rwHP with cam/headers doesn't knock anybodys socks off these days, but we need to know:
the cam size, cats/no cats, etc.
W/o it comparisons are useless...

Having said that, if the cam is really mild the numbers are not bad, especially w/o tuning....

jschindler 10-06-2004 09:52 PM

[QUOTE=minivette]I think you are sorely mistaken. Since you obviously didn't take the time to read any of the threads that come up when you do the search. :rolleyes:

Let me explain it to you. Do a search, only click on the threads that talk about cams. Then, when you read their first post it will tell you their mods. Here, I'll hold your hand and do some for you.
I'm tired of doing your work for you. Do a little research next time.[/QUOT

I have responded to the above by IM to "minivette". But let me just say that there are not many shops getting this kind of rwhp with just cam and heads. And all dyno's are not created equal.