CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   '95 Radiator Removal...Someone forgot to tell me about.... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/92927-95-radiator-removal-someone-forgot-to-tell-me-about.html)

Mac78and2K 07-16-2001 04:08 PM

I followed the advice of many C4 owners on the forum that said to look on the outside of my radiator (between the radiator and AC condensor and sure enough....leaves and other things. Following th same advice and instructions, I attempted to remove the radiator for a good cleaning. The problem is after taking everytinig apart as recommendd, the top housing (cover) still seemed to be attached to a frame support by 3 small screws (bolts) on each side way down at the lower end of the radiator cover. Question, do I need to remove these (seems like I do since they appear to be holding the radiator cover on) and if I do, how do I get to them?? Small hands I do not have. Thanks to anyone for suggestions.

Raysur 07-16-2001 04:59 PM

I have removed all of the small screws except the ones that seem to be between the middle of the frame. I can't remove them either. I'm very close to just breaking them off http://www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/smile.gif.

Mac78and2K 07-16-2001 05:10 PM

Th*nks R*ysur....Surley there must be * w*y to do this *nd some of our "brothers" h*ve * solution... I'm still keeping hope we will he*r from one....

tdock 07-16-2001 05:12 PM

I used a 7mm socket with extension with the screw driver type handle and came in from above the coolant overflow tank compartment to get the lower two on the passenger side, and a open ended 7mm wrench for the top one (kind of a PITa). Pulled off this plastic trim piece (had two plastic plugs holding it on) on the lower driver's side of the radiator/condensor intake (you have to lay on the ground in front to see it. I could get the lower two on the driver's from there, and then the open ended 7mm for the top on. There was a thread about turning the metal nuts around so that the screws go in from the inside to make removal easier the next time. Hope this helps, good luck.

[This message has been edited by tdock (edited 07-17-2001).]

Mac78and2K 07-16-2001 05:19 PM

Sure does... I though th*t there MUST be * better w*y. Since you h*ve soooo much experience, how *bout doing mine???? This w*s * re*l he*d*che since I h*d *ll the other stuff off before I discovered this "be*utiful design". Oh well, I'll sure t*ke your *dvice for reversing the nuts..

-Th*nks *g*in
-M*c

Mac78and2K 07-16-2001 05:21 PM

Anyone know why my a's are looking like *'s??

SPD DMN 07-16-2001 05:39 PM

You have to get them out, and as stated they are 7mm small screws in a tight area. Be dilligent and use the right tool and it will only take twice as long as it should to get them out. I used a small open ended wrench and a lot of patience. There are a few, "huh, why the heck did they put those there?" nuts and bolts on the C4, and these are some of them.

Good luck. I would suggest leaving them off when you put the cover back on, I did.

Mac78and2K 07-16-2001 05:44 PM

Thanks Vette92. I'll probably work on removing them each night until I have them out. Then I'll schedule the radiator removal on the weekend. Did you try reversing the side of the nuts and bolts so they would be easier to get to from the underside??

-Thanks
-Mac

tdock 07-16-2001 06:07 PM

I didn't see the thread until after I had my shroud back on. Had my wife put the top screw in on each side, with smaller hands she could thread them in, as opposed to me dropping the screw on every attempt. Do a search on "shroud" or "radiator" maybe you can find it, seemed like only about 2 weeks ago.

h rocks 07-16-2001 07:51 PM

Vette 92, why would you leave six screws holding the bottom half of the plenum off the car??? That plenum is the only device locating your radiator and A/C condenser. (short of the connected hoses) I offered a very easy fix for this a few weeks ago on another couple of threads. Interesting approach to auto mechanics...if you can't get to it easily, you must not need it!

bill mcdonald 07-16-2001 08:32 PM

I did this 4 weeks ago. It sucks!

When I finally got those 6, 7 mm bolts out, I flipped the metal threaded clip things around to the other part of the plenum. This way you can put the bolts back in the way it should of been, from under/inside the plenum where there is plenty of room!

[This message has been edited by bill mcdonald (edited 07-16-2001).]

NEVERL8 07-16-2001 10:37 PM

Use a set of Flat Style ratcheting wrenches, got mine from Craftsmen. With a little patience they do work quite easily on those bolts. Once I got the wrenchs (i.e correct tool!!) it took me only 10 minutes to get them all out. Be patient and walk away for a breather if you start to get pissed.

If you were close by I'd come on over and do it for ya.

SouthernSon 07-16-2001 11:27 PM

BM, I had the same idea as you. However, the bite of the clip did not reach far enough for me to reverse the direction of the bolts. I went to Lowe's but their clip nuts weren't long enough either. The next time I go to the airport, I am gonna get some long enough to reverse the bolts. Aircraft mechanics use these often and have a lot of different sizes.

h rocks 07-17-2001 12:29 AM

Southern_son, no need to go through all that aggravation. Simply file the edge of the plenum so that your "speednuts, or Tinnerman" nuts ARE long enough! It's a breeze after that.

[This message has been edited by h rocks (edited 07-16-2001).]

Mac78and2K 07-17-2001 10:16 AM

Thanks for all the advice, and especially to neverl8 for offering to do it. I know now what I need to do and will start and do a side a night to get ready to complete the task this weekend. Again, thanks for all the help and suggestions.

-Mac

Chris Pattie 07-19-2001 06:00 PM

I am new to this website thanks to another Vette owner so bare with me. With the help of a friend I put the screw on the end of a pen type magnet and put it up to the hole from under the car. My friend came in from the top with a 1/4 drive socket, swivel, and extension. Once he was on the screw, I held the socket on the screw from under the car with a long screwdriver. It wasn't as bad as it sounds and I didn't have to go looking for new tools. Another idea, hope it helps.

h rocks 07-20-2001 01:01 AM

Man, some of you guys like to keep it complicated! http://www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/wink.gif

Shayne 07-20-2001 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mac78and95
Anyone know why my a's are looking like *'s??[/color]

Are you doing it as some sort of joke that Im missing?? Im a PC tech and the only time I see that is when the PC has a virus or the keyboard is failing...another reason is settings...keyboard mapping...but thats an aftermarket program...Shayne