CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Performance Results (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/performance-results-108/)
-   -   ANY Track Result With AFR Heads!!!! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/performance-results/930121-any-track-result-with-afr-heads.html)

Mitch C 10-20-2004 07:53 PM

Any Track Results With AFR Heads!!

So far we have seen impressive numbers on the dyno. But has anyone got 1/4 mile results to share with us.

C5 CU 10-21-2004 08:21 AM

i have asked question several times and got a couple replies ... with the AFRs commonly getting over 400rwtq i am expecting decent numbers...but to date mid-high 11s

Face 10-21-2004 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by C5 CU
i have asked question several times and got a couple replies ... with the AFRs commonly getting over 400rwtq i am expecting decent numbers...but to date mid-high 11s

Dyno queens. :leaving:

WALLstAL 10-21-2004 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Face

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Look out! http://ftp.scbbs.com/~al/z.gif

Mitch C 10-22-2004 12:16 AM

:lol: :lol: :nono:

JOHNNY P. 10-22-2004 12:21 AM

:willy: :lurk: :D

LittleBoyBlu99 10-22-2004 02:45 AM

:cheers: :lurk:

Fastbasser 10-22-2004 07:59 PM

:lurk: Does make ya wonder why we see all the big dyno numbers and no ETs..

HMMMMMMMMM!!

:steering:

cv67 10-22-2004 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch C
So far we have seen impressive numbers on the dyno. But has anyone got 1/4 mile results to share with us.

I'll call a good friend of mine with the 205 head/224 afr cam combo
and have him post exact #'s . Last time I was out at the track
I believe the car was around 12.00/12.01. This was at LACR
at elevation (uncorrected time). MPH I cant remember. Was beating on my c4. This car absolutely RIPS at all RPM's! Sounds very stealthy,
too I might add. Oh yeah c5 vette, around high 480's at rear wheels.
Beleive it. I'll contact him sometime this weekend. Ron

#001 2001 Z06 10-24-2004 12:28 PM

12 flat is pretty sad, for 480 at the wheels.

Geneus 10-24-2004 12:45 PM

I hope to have an answer for you in a week. :cheers:

WALLstAL 10-24-2004 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by #001 2001 Z06
12 flat is pretty sad, for 480 at the wheels.

That would probably equate to 11.4 at Calispeedway in Fontana!

WALLstAL 10-24-2004 04:26 PM

I am beginning to agree, most are just looking for big numbers. Only a few of these car ever see a drag strip. :yesnod: :yesnod:

Tony Mamo @ AFR 10-24-2004 05:13 PM

You guys crack me up....

What exactly is a "Dyno Queen"...?

If you put 10 cars on the same dyno on the same day (to eliminate AS MANY variables as possible) and hypothetically they all weighed exactly the same and had the same driver, rear gears, transmission, and just about every other VARIABLE you could think of was kept the same....the car that made the most power on the chassis dyno would get you down the track quicker with a higher terminal speed...END OF STORY.

A chassis dyno means the engine is "accelerating" a drum (or drums) of a certain fixed weight and it takes "X" amount of time to do so. An engine/driveline combo that can accelerate this drum the fastest (and show the highest recorded power) will also be able to accelerate the car the fastest as well.....Your tires don't know whether they are accelerating a rolling drum or your favorite ride down a stretch of highway.

Track results, much like dynos, have way too many variables to be used for any type of evaluations unless all the different variables are accounted for....DA, or Density Altitude being the largest concern. Track prep would be next on the list. Bring the cars in question to the same track on the same day and now you have something to compare if you wanna know who's Johnson is a little bigger....you get my point. And the fact of the matter is the more powerful car might not turn out to be the winner if the driver of that car was inexperienced and didn't know how to drive it to it's full potential.

Come down to Bakersfield on Dec. 4th and put down your $100 for the private track rental that day (look for more info in the "Pacific" part of the "events" section)....I'll be there as well as quite a few other AFR heads/cam cars and we will see how the chips fall....I especially invite all of the folks that claim AFR cars are "Dyno Queens" so you can prove to me once and for all how your lower chassis dyno #'s provide much quicker and faster quarter mile times. And lets factor "race weight" into the equation as well....Another "novel" concept.

Bring it on....See you in Bakersfield on the 4th.

Tony M.

Geneus 10-24-2004 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR

If you put 10 cars on the same dyno on the same day (to eliminate AS MANY variables as possible) and hypothetically they all weighed exactly the same and had the same driver, rear gears, transmission, and just about every other VARIABLE you could think of was kept the same....the car that made the most power on the chassis dyno would get you down the track quicker with a higher terminal speed...END OF STORY.

A chassis dyno means the engine is "accelerating" a drum (or drums) of a certain fixed weight and it takes "X" amount of time to do so. An engine/driveline combo that can accelerate this drum the fastest (and show the highest recorded power) will also be able to accelerate the car the fastest as well.....Your tires don't know whether they are accelerating a rolling drum or your favorite ride down a stretch of highway.

Track results, much like dynos, have way too many variables to be used for any type of evaluations unless all the different variables are accounted for....DA, or Density Altitude being the largest concern. Track prep would be next on the list. Bring the cars in question to the same track on the same day and now you have something to compare if you wanna know who's Johnson is a little bigger....you get my point. And the fact of the matter is the more powerful car might not turn out to be the winner if the driver of that car was inexperienced and didn't know how to drive it to it's full potential.

Come down to Bakersfield on Dec. 4th and put down your $100 for the private track rental that day (look for more info in the "Pacific" part of the "events" section)....I'll be there as well as quite a few other AFR heads/cam cars and we will see how the chips fall....I especially invite all of the folks that claim AFR cars are "Dyno Queens" so you can prove to me once and for all how your lower chassis dyno #'s provide much quicker and faster quarter mile times. And lets factor "race weight" into the equation as well....Another "novel" concept.

Tony M.

Well said, Tony. BTW, I just picked up my car with a set of your heads (with new gears and a clutch as well) and so far, so good. They seem to go well with the G5X3 cam I already had installed. As for the dyno, I am not expecting to set any records since I opted to put 4.10 gears in my car, so I'll be giving up some "numbers" once the car get's dyno tuned at the end of this week. But with 4.10 gears, I think you well know what my ultimate intentions are, so stay tuned and I hope to have some 1/4 mile results in this great fall northeastern air real soon. :yesnod: Of course, you'll have to factor the "driver's ability" into the equation. :lol:

WALLstAL 10-24-2004 06:27 PM

Dyno Queens having nothing to do directly with AFR, they are people that like to do mods and dyno just to see big numbers. A Garage Queen refers to people that don't drive their car very much. :lol: :lol: :lol::lol:

vettethret 10-24-2004 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR

Tony M.

Tony,

Hurry up with those 225's. I have a 238/244 on a 115 I want to drop in with the 225's on a stock 348 to break the 500 rwhp mark. I have NO problem being a dyno queen! How far out are we still? Keep up the excellent R&D. :yesnod: :cheers:

pdd000 10-24-2004 07:53 PM

my track times are in the sig :ack: but i never been to the track, so dont give me no sh$t. i blew my rear on the 3rd pass. so i only got 2 runs in. thats my first run ever in the sig. the second run i didnt go the full quarter mile :crazy:

Geneus 10-24-2004 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by pdd000
my track times are in the sig :ack: but i never been to the track, so dont give me no sh$t. i blew my rear on the 3rd pass. so i only got 2 runs in. thats my first run ever in the sig. the second run i didnt go the full quarter mile :crazy:

Ouch...2 runs and the rear gave way? :eek: Pray for me, brother. I hope I don't end up that way next week. :( What did you launch at? What tires were you on? Based on your first two runs, I'm guessing street tires, since at your power levels with slicks or DR's you would have easily been in the low to mid 12's, even not being that experienced. To break the rear on street tires (if in fact that was what you were on), something had to have been seriously wrong before you even raced. :yesnod:

pdd000 10-24-2004 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Geneus
Ouch...2 runs and the rear gave way? :eek: Pray for me, brother. I hope I don't end up that way next week. :( What did you launch at? What tires were you on? Based on your first two runs, I'm guessing street tires, since at your power levels with slicks or DR's you would have easily been in the low to mid 12's, even not being that experienced. To break the rear on street tires (if in fact that was what you were on), something had to have been seriously wrong before you even raced. :yesnod:

i had nitto's on the back. i was dumpin the clutch at 2000rpms and it wouldnt hook worth sh$t. i really didnt have time to get in a good run.