CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Changeing break fluid! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/93472-changeing-break-fluid.html)

Racer-X 07-25-2001 12:21 AM

What is the best way of changing break fluid?

MarkBychowski 07-25-2001 12:33 AM

Not sure if it's the best way, but here's what I do:
- Siphon out the fluid from the master cylinder tank then clean out any gunk with a clean towel.
- Fill with clean fluid
- if you have a mity-vac or similar tool, just bleed the brakes as normal until you see the clean fluid coming out. Otherwise it's easier just to gravity-bleed until the clean stuff comes out, then then re-bleed with a hand-vac or with the pedel-pump method. Just make sure not to let the tank run out of fluid (sucking air) or you'll have to do it all over again.
-Depending on the year of your car you may want to bleed the ABS module too.

93 ragtop 07-25-2001 06:12 AM

I agree with Mark on using the Mityvac and everything he said. The other thing that I do, in addition to his list is take a c-clamp and push the caliper pistons back in so they dont hold all the old fluid in them. Then I remove the fluid from the master cyl. tank etc.

Racer-X 07-25-2001 11:50 PM

Thanks for the info. Where do I find the ABS modual? I have a '90 Cov. L98.

Z52 L98 07-26-2001 01:11 AM

A local shop told me I need a "power bleeder" to do my Vette brakes -- what was he talking about???

Will the ABS Module on my '88 be in the same place as Racer X's '90? Also, do I use my Mighty Vac at only one front and one rear caliper, if so which one? If not then in what order do I do them? The last time I bled a brake system was on a non-ABS British sports car!

How much new fliud should I stock up on to do a complete "flush and fill"?

Anyone using Valvoline Syntec Brake Fliud? Is it any good?

What else do I need to know to do this job?
Thanks.

stecz 07-26-2001 01:12 PM

Although I haven't done this on the 'vette yet (I'll probably do it this weekend), I've done this on a bunch of other cars...

Get speed bleeders, they are a one way check valve in the bleeder screw. They are cheap and work. Basically, replace your bleed screws with the speed bleeders, attach a short section of hose to the bleeder (to direct the brake fluid into a jar). Then, fill the master cylinder with new brake fluid and pump the brake pedal until clean fluid comes out of the hose. Do that on all four corners and you're done. Speed bleeders really do make flushing the brake system easy. The cool part is that you can flush/bleed your brakes at an event without any tools other than a wrench that fits on the bleeder screw.

I've been using Valvoline Synthetic brake fluid for awhile for daily driving and track events. It seems to work as good as the Ford heavy duty or the other fancier brands. If you look at the specs it's as good as the expensive ones. It's also cheap and readily available.