CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Gauges don't match (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/93547-gauges-dont-match.html)

RogueVette 07-26-2001 12:50 PM

The problem is that the digital read's for both oil temp and collant temp read substantially higher on the digital then on the analog gauges sometimes by as much as 40 degrees. In my past experiance I have found that analog is more trust worthy then digital is this correct and how do I fix the problem?

R Cook 92 07-26-2001 12:55 PM

I've seen this before, and I believe that the digital is more accurate. There are two different sensors, one for digital, one for analog. if they are WAY off you might have a bad sensor. but they will always vary... not to mention the analog is so small, I don't see how anyone can figure out where its at.... I'd trust the digital readout...

Randy
92 auto coupe

-=Jeff=- 07-26-2001 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by R Cook 92
I've seen this before, and I believe that the digital is more accurate. There are two different sensors, one for digital, one for analog. if they are WAY off you might have a bad sensor. but they will always vary... not to mention the analog is so small, I don't see how anyone can figure out where its at.... I'd trust the digital readout...

Randy
92 auto coupe
[/color]

It was to my understanding that there was one sensor for each and it was fed into the CCM and then the Info center toggles the digital reading.. but that were both derived from the same sensor...

do they show the different sensor locations in the Service manual?

Thud 07-26-2001 01:49 PM

Don't forget that the analog gauges are nonlinear (new C4's came with a sticker saying that right above the steering wheel).
Now what that means is you really can't tell what the guages are saying, because 1) they don't increase linearly with temperature, and 2) there are few markings to determine what the temp is anyway.
Brilliant design. I think the analog guages were put in as an afterthought because they couldn't find enough stuff to put on the right side of the instrument panel.
The digital guages are accurate though.
My digital coolant guage reads 189-192 when driving, which is spot-on for a 190 thermostat.
The analog guage reads "about 1/3 the way down" although there's no way to determine what temperature that guage is actually reading.
I guess they're only useful for noticing rapid changes... if you don't have your digital temp showing, and you suddenly see your analog temp needle moving, you'd want to switch over to digital and see what the numbers are.
That exact thing happened to my roommate when a hose came loose on his '94 coupe (the big clouds of steam were also a good indication).

[This message has been edited by Thud (edited 07-26-2001).]

RogueVette 07-26-2001 02:28 PM

thanks, THUD. I was not aware that the gauges were not linear. they just seem so far off.