CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Turning off DRLs permanently (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/937970-turning-off-drls-permanently.html)

Vette_DD 10-31-2004 05:03 PM

Turning off DRLs permanently

Are there some folks who want to turn off their Daytime Running Lights permanently? I may or may not have accidentally stumbled onto a way to do that in my C6.

I turned down the instrument panel brightness a few days ago. I pushed in the button and gave it just a single twist all the way to the left. In addition, I've had my Exterior Lamp Control set to AUTO for some time.

The last 3 times I drove my car, the DRLs didn't come on. The instrument panel lights are not quite as bright as they were, but still bright enough for me to see the gauges okay.

The owner's manual has instructions for the DRLs on pages 3-15 and 3-16, but the instructions seem to be a little off. Specifically, it mentions having the exterior lamp control in the OFF position, but it won't stay there.

Over the next few days, I'll see if I can get them to come back on automatically, then turn them off permanently again.

rwpatte 10-31-2004 05:38 PM

Hey, I got flamed when asking this same question. One forum member said I should ask everybody to turn theres off. What that meant I don't know. Then another mentioned insurance companys give discounts if you have your DRLs on. I still like them off. Scissors had a post on it. I believe its the ring on the stalk that you turn to turn them off. I haven't played with it that much, but it did work.

TEAShea 10-31-2004 05:56 PM

Information

I was able to turn off the DRLS in my CTS-V by clipping a wire under the dash. The instructions were posted on the CTS-V board. I hope that someone here will do the same.

Tom

Buster1 10-31-2004 06:03 PM

DRLs can be temporarily turned off by turning the light ring on the stalk from auto, towards you to off. It will spring back to the auto position, but the DRLs will be off until you re-start the car.

Vette_DD 10-31-2004 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Buster1
DRLs can be temporarily turned off by turning the light ring on the stalk from auto, towards you to off. It will spring back to the auto position, but the DRLs will be off until you re-start the car.

As indicated in my post above, mine DON'T come back on automatically when I restart the car.

And unlike cutting a wire, I can presumably get mine to come back on when I get ready - have not tried it yet.

Another Yellow 10-31-2004 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by rwpatte
.....One forum member said I should ask everybody to turn theres off......

You said you didn't like the look with the DRL's on. When driving, you can't see your DRL's so everyone else with a C6 would have to turn theirs off to make you happy. :lol: :jester

Another Yellow 10-31-2004 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by rwpatte
..... One forum member said I should ask everybody to turn theres off. What that meant I don't know.......

You said you didn't like the DRL's, but when driving your car, you can't see the DRL's. Everyone else with a C6 would have to turn theirs off to make you happy. :yesnod: :jester

It was just a joke. :lol:

TA 10-31-2004 09:14 PM

I guess to each his own......I just don't see what the big deal is with having DRLs. Is it really that bothersome?

rwpatte 10-31-2004 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by TA
I guess to each his own......I just don't see what the big deal is with having DRLs. Is it really that bothersome?

No its not bothersome. I just like the looks of it head on even thou I can't see it. These seem to be higher and brighter than my C5 was. I turned those off permanetly. I can't see my body colored spoiler or door handles or sills. But I like the way they look. To each his own.

Vette_DD 10-31-2004 10:13 PM

I'm still undecided about whether or not I want to use them. Just don't think they look that good on most cars, but can't make up my mine about them on the C6. Maybe knowing that they give other car drivers more visibility of my car will help me decide. :confused:

rwpatte 10-31-2004 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by RedC6Coupe
I'm still undecided about whether or not I want to use them. Just don't think they look that good on most cars, but can't make up my mine about them on the C6. Maybe knowing that they give other car drivers more visibility of my car will help me decide. :confused:

That is the purpose on all cars. Years ago at dusk drivers would turn on the parking lights before turning on the headlights. It was against the law to do that in some states. It was hard to guage the distance of the oncoming car when passing on two lane highways at dusk. Not many two laners left, depending on where you are driving. Now all cars are equipped with them on all the time.

sdowney 10-31-2004 10:48 PM

myself i do not like them. what i dp is drive with the fog lights on all the time. this lowers the output of the orange lights and looks a lot better in my opion. i also changed trhe fog light to the sylvania cool blue lense and so it even looks better. a whole lot better with the head lights on becaus ethey now match the xeon head light much better. now if i could just stop the other people from flashing their brights forcing me to blind them with mine...oh well i guess they will eventualt get used to people not driving piece os sh!t cars that have no head light out put.

Jinx 11-01-2004 04:06 AM

Wasn't there a single fuse that governed DRLs on C5?
Is there an equivalent fuse on C6?

USA-VET 11-01-2004 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by TA

:iagree: :withstupid: :iagree:

jazzlove 11-01-2004 08:30 AM

What He Said...

Originally Posted by Buster1

Why make such a fuss? Cutting wires? Looking for permanent solutions? All ya gotta' do is what Buster says. You rotate the light ring towards you and that turns em' off until you re-start the engine...

:cheers:

FLC6 12-22-2004 07:53 PM

Silvercoupe,

What have you decided?

I want to turn these suckers off!! I wish there was a fuze I could pull.....

Vette_DD 12-22-2004 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by FLC6
Silvercoupe,

What have you decided?

I want to turn these suckers off!! I wish there was a fuze I could pull.....

Try leaving your light setting switch on "AUTO". That works for me. Mine don't come on. You might have to turn them up one notch to "OFF" first, then release it and let it go to "AUTO".

Any time you get ready to turn them back on, just turn the switch to the parking lamp position.

FLC6 12-22-2004 08:01 PM

Silver,

Do you have an Auto?

If your car is in park the DRL don't come on until you put the car in D.

Try that and see if yours are indeed still on....

Vette_DD 12-22-2004 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by FLC6
Silver,

Do you have an Auto?

If your car is in park the DRL don't come on until you put the car in D.

Try that and see if yours are indeed still on....

You're right. The auto tranny seems to work differently. At night, the auto tranny automatically turns on my headlights when I leave the lighting controls in AUTO. Will try it again tomorrow during the daylight to see if it still turns them on.

I did have a manual tranny and the AUTO would not turn them on, at least during the day. Did not drive the car that much at night.

FLC6 12-22-2004 08:21 PM

I took a flashlight and pointed it at the sensor. I put the lights in auto and turned the car on. The lights and the DRL did not come on. The second I put the car in Drive the DRL came on. There is no way to stop it everytime the car is turned on no matter what I do.

I have to manually turn the DRL's off everytime I get in the car arrrrg.