CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Help my gal loose some lbs... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/964504-help-my-gal-loose-some-lbs.html)

MrArmyAnt 12-07-2004 06:28 PM

Help my gal loose some lbs...

I am gouing to remove the spare tire, jack, etc, to save weight, since If i do have a flat im calling AAA, no way will i drive with that small thing. What else is unnecceary and hinding from view and use?

Bilyk 12-07-2004 06:40 PM

the seats are pretty heavy, door panels, and roof too

odysseysteve 12-07-2004 06:45 PM

Someone (did not notice the name) wrote a response about removal of the spare and pointed out that the spare is part of the structural integrity of the car when it is struck from behind. Kinda makes sense when ya think about it.

MrArmyAnt 12-07-2004 06:47 PM

I guess it is, but Im in a Vette :) can't get hit from behind :)

Dogs 86 Vette 12-07-2004 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bilyk
the seats are pretty heavy, door panels, and roof too

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Way too funny guys :D . Is he supposed to sit on a orange crate???

Bob

MrArmyAnt 12-07-2004 06:56 PM

Actually a friend of mine has a cmaro ss tthat puls high 8's, low 9's. Hes gone so far as to rip out interior and uneeded wire for turn signals. You'd be surprised, every little vit helps, and with me adding around 150 lbs in stereo equitment...

Cozmo 12-07-2004 07:02 PM

Throw that big thing in the drivers seat out! I bet you could lose 150 to 250 pounds easily!!!!! :D

JrRifleCoach 12-07-2004 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by longhorn_C4
Throw that big thing in the drivers seat out! I bet you could lose 150 to 250 pounds easily!!!!! :D

:lurk:

MrArmyAnt 12-07-2004 07:07 PM

**feelings slightly hurt*

I only way 130 :( My docotor gave me a steroid injection to help gin waight, and I am ion exstensive amounts of criatine and whey.

flannel_man 12-07-2004 07:12 PM

know how ya feel, 23 , 118 lbs here, metabolisms too danged high

JSA 007 12-07-2004 07:30 PM

mufflers and ABS...dead weight :yesnod:

You actually need the roof and doors though ;)

pope8ss 12-07-2004 07:32 PM

If you need it to go faster you could always put a bunch of stickers all over it and a huge wing in the back. That should give you like about 100hp, and then just use a lawn chair for a drivers seat like they do in So. America, and Mexico.

MrArmyAnt 12-07-2004 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by pope8ss
If you need it to go faster you could always put a bunch of stickers all over it and a huge wing in the back. That should give you like about 100hp, and then just use a lawn chair for a drivers seat like they do in So. America, and Mexico.

Yes, I could do that if I wanted a 4 banger.
But No. No No No No No No No No. Thats what me engine and all 8 of its beautiful cylinders said.

tempest 12-07-2004 08:22 PM

you could probably get rid of a few pounds by tearing out the sound deadening material under the carpet and in the door panels.

Perfusion 12-07-2004 08:29 PM

If you're just putting the car on a diet, there's only so far you can go. If you're trying to build an all-out racecar, that's a different story. The words "strip it bare" come to mind.

Headers weigh less than your stock exhuast manifolds. As previously mentioned, the mufflers are dead weight. If you're worried about the structural integrity of the rear bumper after the removal of the spare, etc., consider finding the support bracket that was put in their place in the cars that were optioned with the "Spare Tire Delete" for exactly that purpose. Then again, there's some weight back. If you want temporary weight loss (i.e., for a night at the track), run less gas (1/4 tank or so), pull the pass. seat, carpet, and stereo equipment (if you're so inclined). Also, if your wheels are anything larger than 17", you're adding a good deal of rotational mass there over the stockers. I'm not sure what the exact equation is, but I think it's estimated that for every 1 lb. heavier a wheel is over the stock, it's actually worth more like 5lb once rotating.

So - you have on wheel that weighs 20lb, or an aftermarket wheel that weights 25lb. The difference is 5lb * 4 (for rotation) = 20lbs. * 4 (4 wheels) = 80lbs. Now you've got something. All of the sudden, those 5lbs are pretty darned significant! Anyway, like I said - I'm not sure if that's the exact way it's figured, but it's just some food for thought...

Best of luck with your auto-diet and your personal gain... Drink lots of these - :cheers:

MrArmyAnt 12-07-2004 08:44 PM

Thanks man. guess I could gain wait by makiong the vette loose it. I really just wanted to loose wait to help make up for all the added weight in stereo equtment. I wasnt worried about it before, but now after seeing that article on how really only the water pump, header, intake, and that other jazz replaces hp, and that tfoils dont, i want to increase performance. badly... cheaply. It took a lot to find a vette with 24k miles, and I want it to run withe the best of them. No, be the best of them.

tempest 12-07-2004 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Perfusion
I'm not sure what the exact equation is, but I think it's estimated that for every 1 lb. heavier a wheel is over the stock, it's actually worth more like 5lb once rotating.

actually, the diameter of the wheels have a greater effect than its weight. the weight would affect the rotational inertia proportionally (a wheel weighing 10% more would have 10% more rotational inertia) but the diameter has a quadric(?) effect (i.e. to the fourth power). so if you went from 17 to 18" (6%), assuming the mass of the wheel was pushed out that same amount, the effect would be 106%^4 = 134%!

of course, not all of the mass pushes out 1/2", so the increase in the moment would actually be less than that, but i think you get the picture.
:cheers:

Perfusion 12-08-2004 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by tempest
actually, the diameter of the wheels have a greater effect than it's weight. the weight would affect the rotational inertia proportionally (a wheel weighing 10% more would have 10% more rotational inertia) but the diameter has a quadric(?) effect (i.e. to the fourth power). so if you went from 17 to 18" (6%), assuming the mass of the wheel was pushed out that same amount, the effect would be 106%^4 = 134%!

of course, not all of the mass pushes out 1/2", so the increase in the moment would actually be less than that, but i think you get the picture.

Wonderful explanation! :cheers:

ynk1121 12-08-2004 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by tempest
actually, the diameter of the wheels have a greater effect than it's weight. the weight would affect the rotational inertia proportionally (a wheel weighing 10% more would have 10% more rotational inertia) but the diameter has a quadric(?) effect (i.e. to the fourth power). so if you went from 17 to 18" (6%), assuming the mass of the wheel was pushed out that same amount, the effect would be 106%^4 = 134%!

:crazy: :willy: Ahhh.. Fashbacks of high school math class