CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Heater blows cold air when car is not moving (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/996902-heater-blows-cold-air-when-car-is-not-moving.html)

ir0nmaiden420 01-21-2005 12:51 PM

Heater blows cold air when car is not moving

My heater blows out hot air when i am driving but if I am sitting still at a stoplight or even when the car is stopped while warming it up, only cold air comes out of the vents. it is only when I start moving again that the air heats up again. This happens even when the coolant is 200 degrees, so the engine is not cold.

I have always thought that the air was not very powerful coming out of the vents as well, compared to other cars I have had.

redvette6spd 01-21-2005 12:57 PM

check your water level may be low

GT4DD 01-21-2005 01:18 PM

This happens to me, as well... and I know my H2O is full.

jackdaroofer 01-21-2005 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by ir0nmaiden420
My heater blows out hot air when i am driving but if I am sitting still at a stoplight or even when the car is stopped while warming it up, only cold air comes out of the vents. it is only when I start moving again that the air heats up again. This happens even when the coolant is 200 degrees, so the engine is not cold.

I have always thought that the air was not very powerful coming out of the vents as well, compared to other cars I have had.

Low coolant is certainly a suspect with any heat/cool condition, but

There is a "door" that opens and closes at the heater box to close off or allow cold air. The door is controlled, I believe, by the temp controls on your heat/ac switches. The vette circulates coolant continuously through the heater, it's the door that controls the temps, I believe

Sounds like you need outside air pressure to open the door and allow heat, which means that at standstill the door is closed regardless of your control settings

How fast does the heat start back when you start moving and at what speeds? Not sure that will contribute to a solution but

seeya

thmupr 01-21-2005 11:27 PM

Must be a C4 thing.. Mine does it too... Got worse after I changed the water pump and did the TB bypass..

nobodyunknown 01-22-2005 10:12 AM

That door works off of vacume.
Try this not moveing but raise the rpm in neutral.If that helps then it could be a vacume leak.
The door actuator has a vacume diaphram mabey a small hole in it.

Mr Mojo 01-22-2005 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by redvette6spd
check your water level may be low

That was my problem.

SurfnSun 01-22-2005 07:48 PM

as said above youre probably low on coolant or have a big bubble in your system. Could be the heater control valve too. It has to be one of the two.

ir0nmaiden420 01-25-2005 02:02 PM

added some coolant and that did not solve the problem...
how do I change the heater valve?

SurfnSun 01-25-2005 05:00 PM

How much coolant did you add? Was the radiator low when you opened the cap?

One way I fill mine is to start the car, open the cap, and start a slow rev using the throttlebody. When the coolant drops as the revs go up keep adding coolant til full. That will help get most of the air out of the system.

SurfnSun 01-25-2005 05:07 PM

How low was your coolant level/how much did you add?

here is the way I add coolant to make sure its full.

Start the car, make sure its warm and thermostat is open. Open the rad cap and fill it up. Using the throttlebody start a slow steady rev of the motor. When the coolant drops in the radiator fill it up. Do this until adding more revs doesn't really drop the coolant level. The put the cap back on before letting off the throttlebody. That should help get most of the air out of your system.

dand1892 01-25-2005 06:14 PM

same problem have wondered but always forgot to post thanks

nobodyunknown 01-25-2005 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by nobodyunknown
That door works off of vacume.
Try this not moveing but raise the rpm in neutral.If that helps then it could be a vacume leak.
The door actuator has a vacume diaphram mabey a small hole in it.

So you dont think its vacume related?