C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed the Improved Racing crank scraper and windage tray kit for wet sump LS3

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 06:01 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts
Default Installed the Improved Racing crank scraper and windage tray kit for wet sump LS3

Not much to report.

I don't have dyno numbers to prove that the crank scraper really improved hp 2.5% as they claim.

I don't have before and after oil pressure readings from the track to prove that this mod really improves the oil starvation on the track, that LS engines are known for. In fact, I'm not certain the tires I run, the R888s (I see 1.52Gs on my little meter but I'm told that's just a spike), are even enough tire to have caused an issue before these parts were installed.

I just did this mod as cheap insurance and the small power bump from reduced parasitic drag is a nice bonus. I have tracked my car a fair number of times but all on 1 small tight track. Before this mod I was flat scared to take it to a large Superspeedway that was ran counterclockwise due to oil starvation concerns. This should be plenty of oil pressure protection for running any nice sticky treaded tires I can get my hands on, but not enough for properly driven new Hoosiers. Hopefully I can get on a big boy track after the new year.

What I can tell you is install really isn't that bad. It took a buddy and I about 6 hours to install but rarely was more than 1 of us working. We just removed the entire front subframe out of the way.

The parts and instructions were beautiful and I can say nothing bad about the Improved Racing parts. Everything just bolted right on. Since you remove the steel stamped OEM windage tray, there was a couple of pound of weight savings. I also know that the new crank scraper is way more rigid than the OEM part so I also have gained some block rigidity which isn't a bad thing.

Obviously the crank scraper is just being test fitted in this photo and isn't bolted on correctly.

I'd say this part should ALWAYS be included on an engine build and if you want to track your wet sump LS engine with any sticky tires you should also add in that case.

I do sort of wish I had bought some lowered steel engine mounts from Hinson or somebody as we were literally right there and could have added them in just 3 more minutes.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 11-11-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-13-2022, 03:05 AM
GrandpaC6
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this is old, but 2.5whp is not much.
Currently at 529whp on LS3 SBE NA.
Still have oil scrapper, & electric water pump to think about.
Aiming for 550+ on SBE.
The following users liked this post:
Turbotalon1g (09-19-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 06:02 AM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

Received 558 Likes on 416 Posts

The claim was 2.5%.
GrandpaC6 (09-13-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 08:14 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 305 Posts

Well the 2.5% is pretty good and that is on a flat surface no car movement dyno with no side-to-side back and forth movement or sloshing going around which is what happens in the real world.
GrandpaC6 (09-13-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 09:43 AM
El_Steveo
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 110 Posts

2.5% is quite a claim! that's 10 ponies on a 400horse build. Id love to see proof of this claim, not because i don't believe it, but because id be interested if its true
GrandpaC6 (09-13-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Installed the Improved Racing crank scraper and windage tray kit for wet sump LS3

Quick Reply: Installed the Improved Racing crank scraper and windage tray kit for wet sump LS3