C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

When a rock hits your windshield and cracks it... -_-

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 09:12 PM
charles7970
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 58 Posts
Default When a rock hits your windshield and cracks it... -_-

So i was driving on the highway when of course the car in front me flings a rock from his tire and it happens to hit my windshield.. yay.. now luckily the damage is covered for free by my insurance but, its been 2 months now and apparently the windshield for our cars are back ordered for months -_- anyone have any other solutions like calling the manufacture for parts? lol I cant imagine them being out of stock, like what's someone that's unfortunate and gets into an accident supposed to do? wait for their cars to be repaired until then? super random rant i know
Old 02-13-2017, 09:34 PM
Joy c7
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 238 Posts

Welcome too the NEW GM same as the old GM. I would be pissed.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:42 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,679 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Is it a chip or a crack? They can fill chips if they aren't too big.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:07 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

There are only a few windshield manufacturers in the country as I recall. I assume you want an "official" gm stamped piece of glass. They seem to be hard to come by. I had mine replaced last October and had the same issue. One word of caution though, inspect any windshields very closely because they can have scratches already on them as mine did. Glass had a 1/2 inch scratch on it. I did not personally see it, the installers did and they had to reorder another windshield. I was not happy for more delay but I did not want a scratch in it either.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:20 AM
68RPOL71
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by charles7970
So i was driving on the highway when of course the car in front me flings a rock from his tire and it happens to hit my windshield.. yay.. now luckily the damage is covered for free by my insurance but, its been 2 months now and apparently the windshield for our cars are back ordered for months -_- anyone have any other solutions like calling the manufacture for parts? lol I cant imagine them being out of stock, like what's someone that's unfortunate and gets into an accident supposed to do? wait for their cars to be repaired until then? super random rant i know
Happened to me when my Z06 was only a few weeks old. I hated to take it to the Dealer to replace the windshield. No wait for me, but they nicked the rubber gasket at the top of the windshield, it's not a big deal, (and I'm Picky) but it bothers me every time I see it ....

good luck,

Old 02-14-2017, 12:25 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,025 Likes on 5,378 Posts

When the glass does come in it can be damaged as mentioned above but it can also be distorted. Installers may not notice or bother with rejecting glass with some distortions. If you can it is worth it to inspect the glass yourself before they put it in the car. If after it is installed and you find something wrong with the glass the first call should be to your insurance company. They can provide a lot of support and relief if you have issues with the quality of the glass or the installation.

I broke the glass on my C5Z and the glass shop couldn't get a good water seal after the glass was installed. I made 5 or 6 trips back because of leaks over a period of 6 months. Finally, the shop said they were throwing up their hands and wouldn't work on it any more. I called State Farm to ask what I should do then. The person on the other end said "Why didn't you call sooner?" They reopened the claim, sent an appraiser to look at the car who took one look at the glass said it wasn't up to standard and authorized another windshield along with all new weatherstrip. State Farm then went after the glass shop for a full refund. I chose to go with a shop the dealer recommended and the shop did the replacement in the dealership's body shop with support from the dealer's Corvette Body Expert. The dealer submitted the claim and processed all of the paperwork and was responsible for the quality of the work. When it was all done with the windshield installed I got caught in a down pour and had a small leak on the driver's side. I went back to the dealer's body shop and their Vette Tech inspected the weatherstrip and ordered a special GM sealant that he had been using for years to stop leaks in Corvettes. A few drops of that stuff in the right place and it never leaked again.

Bill
Old 02-14-2017, 01:47 PM
atvBob
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Was driving the wife's 2016 Cadillac ATS4 home while she was driving the brand new 2016 Z06 home (the two dealerships were only a few hundred feet apart). Z06 threw up a rock that cracked the windshield of the ATS4. Had it get it replaced with less than 100 miles on it.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:07 PM
charles7970
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 58 Posts

Wow thank you guys for all the responses and help luckily mine isnt cracked.. its more of a dime sized puck, so i'm wondering if it can be patched? its also located on the passenger side on the lower side
Old 02-14-2017, 03:26 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,679 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Yes, as I mentioned, if it is a chip it can be filled. As long as it isn't in your line of sight (sounds like it isn't) and isn't too close to the edge. At a minimum, this will help to resist a crack forming.

Safelite will do it very cheaply, and often times for free.

You could also do it yourself with something like this:
Amazon Amazon

or this:
Amazon Amazon
Old 02-14-2017, 03:35 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Ughhh. I have a few tiny chips on my window and I cringe every time I hear one hit. My Wife Hyundai has been hit a few times really hard and we can't find any chips on hers, wish the Vette glass was the same.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:50 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts

Recently we had to have the windshield in our 2500 HD Duramax replaced, while talking to the owner of the glass shop I asked him how much a windshield costs for a Z06 with HUD compared to the truck. He said the Z06 windshield was upwards of $ 900.00 compared to $ 150.00 on the truck. Not cheap, another reason I carry full zero deductible glass coverage on all of our vehicles.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:41 PM
chasboland
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
When the glass does come in it can be damaged as mentioned above but it can also be distorted. Installers may not notice or bother with rejecting glass with some distortions. If you can it is worth it to inspect the glass yourself before they put it in the car. If after it is installed and you find something wrong with the glass the first call should be to your insurance company. They can provide a lot of support and relief if you have issues with the quality of the glass or the installation.

I broke the glass on my C5Z and the glass shop couldn't get a good water seal after the glass was installed. I made 5 or 6 trips back because of leaks over a period of 6 months. Finally, the shop said they were throwing up their hands and wouldn't work on it any more. I called State Farm to ask what I should do then. The person on the other end said "Why didn't you call sooner?" They reopened the claim, sent an appraiser to look at the car who took one look at the glass said it wasn't up to standard and authorized another windshield along with all new weatherstrip. State Farm then went after the glass shop for a full refund. I chose to go with a shop the dealer recommended and the shop did the replacement in the dealership's body shop with support from the dealer's Corvette Body Expert. The dealer submitted the claim and processed all of the paperwork and was responsible for the quality of the work. When it was all done with the windshield installed I got caught in a down pour and had a small leak on the driver's side. I went back to the dealer's body shop and their Vette Tech inspected the weatherstrip and ordered a special GM sealant that he had been using for years to stop leaks in Corvettes. A few drops of that stuff in the right place and it never leaked again.

Bill
I agree, I've had 3 defective windshields installed in my 16Z. The current glass has a three inch distortion at about 1030 in my line of vision. Frustrating for sure but I am hopeful a new dealership will help me out this spring. It's a little discouraging hearing about the lack of replacement windshield available.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:34 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

The following users liked this post:
tail_lights (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 09:21 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 374 Likes on 261 Posts

OP, there are companies that produce what we call off standard windshields. Just like aftermarket overseas parts so are windshields. You did not say where you were getting it replaced or I missed it.

I will suggest a dealership only or a non dealer that has access to the exact GM glass your car was built with. Your windshield is an integral part of the structure of your car and should not be taken lightly. It also is a component of the restraint system of your car. Incorrect glass or install could easily effect your air bags in a bad crash. You should also demand the installer uses the exact urethane that GM recommends, PM me I can get you the part number if needed. DO NOT let the installer use some aftermarket fast dry urethane. Like issues that Bill and others had junk cheap glass and cheap urethane is nothing but an unsafe hassle you don't need.

At our company if an insurance co denies the right glass on a nice car we tell the owner to ask the ins co to have them pay for diminished value. It is the easiest thing to see if a car does not have the correct glass. Cheap glass is NOT like kind and quality, period.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:53 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

I was driving my 79 home from the dealership and a rock busted my windshield. Fortunately I was able to get new glass in a hurry.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:07 AM
mike123460
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Same thing happened to me just a few days ago... Insurance company recommended me to Safelite to replace the glass. Any thoughts? In orlando, FL
Old 02-15-2017, 09:23 AM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 374 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by mike123460
Same thing happened to me just a few days ago... Insurance company recommended me to Safelite to replace the glass. Any thoughts? In orlando, FL
Got a car you like? Read my post #14 I think that should answer your question.

I have a rule of thumb. If an insurance co refers something go the opposite direction!

Good luck, remember squeaky wheel gets the grease .

Get notified of new replies

To When a rock hits your windshield and cracks it... -_-

Old 02-15-2017, 10:37 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDANZ06
Recently we had to have the windshield in our 2500 HD Duramax replaced, while talking to the owner of the glass shop I asked him how much a windshield costs for a Z06 with HUD compared to the truck. He said the Z06 windshield was upwards of $ 900.00 compared to $ 150.00 on the truck. Not cheap, another reason I carry full zero deductible glass coverage on all of our vehicles.
$900. sounds quite reasonable.had my C6 windshield replaced with GM glass and cost to insurance company was $2,000.Insurer not very happy with price but they paid the bill
Old 02-15-2017, 10:43 AM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by irok
$900. sounds quite reasonable.had my C6 windshield replaced with GM glass and cost to insurance company was $2,000.Insurer not very happy with price but they paid the bill
He might have quoted me aftermarket glass vs GM.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:58 AM
mike123460
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24
Got a car you like? Read my post #14 I think that should answer your question.

I have a rule of thumb. If an insurance co refers something go the opposite direction!

Good luck, remember squeaky wheel gets the grease .
You're right. Ended up calling a local dealership and got a referral from them. Cancelled my Safelite appointment and went with the new company instead.

Quick Reply: When a rock hits your windshield and cracks it... -_-