Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] What to do with 06z with blown motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 05:48 PM
Navy Blue 210
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Really?
It's a 12 year old 2006 and already at the bottom of the C6Z valuation curve. The average private sale is between KBB (@29K) and Edmunds (@26K) in good to very good condition. Of course, that means a good engine.

The OP is not keeping this one and has no need for a car while deployed in Europe. He wants to buy something with a warranty when he returns. His main concern is to stop the financial bleeding.

It's far better to install a used bulletproof LS3 for $4K and take a $4K hit on the value with a quick sale, than spend $8K for a used LS7 timebomb that the buyer will have to spend another $3K on heads to avoid a repeat problem. Either way the OP loses $8K, but only has to put up $4K out of pocket for the LS3. The end buyer only needs to spend another $1K to make the LS3 run as quick as a stock LS7 Z06.
Succint & Eloquently Stated!

Last edited by Navy Blue 210; 08-23-2017 at 05:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
HOXXOH (08-24-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 08:13 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

I guess you two subscribe to the "Caveat Emptor" school of ethics.. Yes, my comments were geared toward looking out for the next buyer.
reasonable suspicion (08-24-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 08:42 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

I would like to buy it ???
Old 08-24-2017, 12:14 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
I guess you two subscribe to the "Caveat Emptor" school of ethics.. Yes, my comments were geared toward looking out for the next buyer.
Like that C6Z for sale several months ago at some independent sales lot that unfortunately had an LS2 swapped into it. They claim they had no idea (after they found the thread here), and maybe that's true...but I have the feeling somebody somewhere got stuck with that pile for way more than he should've spent.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 08-24-2017 at 12:15 AM.
reasonable suspicion (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 02:36 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I don't think either one of us had thoughts of screwing the buyer. It's why I mentioned the OP would take a $4K hit on the value when he sold it with a LS3 installed. I'd think dropping in a used LS7 without mentioning to the buyer the possibility of dropping a valve on the untested and unknown engine condition, certainly isn't looking out for the buyer. What buyer is really going to be interested in a 12 year old car at the full value
with a freshly installed used engine and then have to spend another $3K to fix it before driving it? Or did you think not telling the buyer the engine wasn't the original would be ethical?
Old 08-24-2017, 09:41 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

I don't think either one of us had thoughts of screwing the buyer. It's why I mentioned the OP would take a $4K hit on the value when he sold it with a LS3 installed. I'd think dropping in a used LS7 without mentioning to the buyer the possibility of dropping a valve on the untested and unknown engine condition, certainly isn't looking out for the buyer. What buyer is really going to be interested in a 12 year old car at the full value
with a freshly installed used engine and then have to spend another $3K to fix it before driving it? Or did you think not telling the buyer the engine wasn't the original would be ethical?
lol yeah ok.

you suggested installing something other than an ls7 to screw the next guy over. No other possible reason because by the time you install an ls3 and then disclose the value would go down proportionally to what the ls7 would have cost anyway.

op, either tow it to cpr since you are local and take the financial hit, or sell it as a roller to dump it and get out of it.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:50 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by reasonable suspicion
lol yeah ok.

you suggested installing something other than an ls7 to screw the next guy over. No other possible reason because by the time you install an ls3 and then disclose the value would go down proportionally to what the ls7 would have cost anyway.

op, either tow it to cpr since you are local and take the financial hit, or sell it as a roller to dump it and get out of it.
Yep! The value would go down with a LS3 just like the $4K hit I mentioned twice already. The upside is a quicker sale because of a lower price and a more reliable engine. On a 12 year old car, there is no longer praise at the alter for the valve dropping LS7.

Maybe you missed the fact the OP is currently deployed in Europe and cpr is not the only shop in AZ that has the capability to swap engines. If I had the space, I'd do it. It wouldn't be the first time I've helped out a military guy.

I suppose you think selling it as a roller means it's a guarantee the buyer will install a LS7.

Last edited by HOXXOH; 08-24-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:18 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Re-read the OP's post, "..Carmax..". Anyone paying attention knows about the head issue by now, the same can't be said for this new paradigm of buying a used ZO6 with a completly different design spec motor installed. Why not swap the trans and the diff to lower specs as well? Why not put a fiberglass wide body kit and ZO6 badges on a steel framed car, take the position of "hey, you should have asked, not my problem you didn't bring a magnet with you when you looked at the car..". Where does it end?

There is a reason Z's were tens of thousands more than a base C6 new.. A good portion of that was the engine - it is a significant factor in making a "Z" a "Z".

We can agree to disagree on what is "right or wrong" in this case, it's cool.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 08-24-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:49 AM
Navy Blue 210
Pro

Originally Posted by reasonable suspicion
lol yeah ok.

That is a libelous comment!

Neither one of us suggested deceiving the next buyer
By installing the LS3! Full disclosure is how I operate.
Replacing a broken engine with something different
Is called Hot Rodding.
Some here are a little to Wrapped Up in #s
Matching, and "the white-glove treatment".
HOXXOH (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 11:58 AM
Navy Blue 210
Pro

Re-read the OP's post, "..Carmax..". Anyone paying attention knows about the head issue by now, the same can't be said for this new paradigm of buying a used ZO6 with a completly different design spec motor installed. Why not swap the trans and the diff to lower specs as well? Why not put a fiberglass wide body kit and ZO6 badges on a steel framed car, take the position of "hey, you should have asked, not my problem you didn't bring a magnet with you when you looked at the car..". Where does it end?

There is a reason Z's were tens of thousands more than a base C6 new.. A good portion of that was the engine - it is a significant factor in making a "Z" a "Z".

We can agree to disagree on what is "right or wrong" in this case, it's cool.
A Z06 without an LS7 is no longer a Z06 (C6s obviously) as long as
The buyer knows the truth I don't care what Engine is installed.
This obviously includes disclosure on trade in/sale to a dealer as well.
HOXXOH (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 06:44 PM
Jaybird29
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

If you plan on keeping the car I would suggest putting a LS7 back in and take the financial hit and enjoy it. I know it sucks big time and I feel for you, but it will not be the last time you lose money on a car, house, anything material, ask me how I know. I had a older friend of mine and his saying was "In 20 years it won't matter".

If you are done with it, then sell as a roller, take the hit and let someone else do whatever they want to.

Thank you for your service. God bless!

Last edited by Jaybird29; 08-24-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:59 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Put a price tag on it as is right here. Perhaps someone will take it off your hands
Old 08-25-2017, 12:34 AM
BrandonScott
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate all of the responses. I've decided to keep it for now and replace it with another LS7. I've spoken to CPR and gotten a quote to do the swap. I'm going to make another post and try to get engine recommendations, thanks again.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:06 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonScott
I appreciate all of the responses. I've decided to keep it for now and replace it with another LS7. I've spoken to CPR and gotten a quote to do the swap. I'm going to make another post and try to get engine recommendations, thanks again.
Best of luck and hopefully you'll have ample opportunity to enjoy it. They are great rides!

Quick Reply: [Z06] What to do with 06z with blown motor