C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

maintaining polished aluminum american force wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 08:17 PM
mumaptz17
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maintaining polished aluminum american force wheels

i recently purchased a set of polished aluminum american force wheels for my f250,... would like to know how best way to maintain them between washes. someone told me spray wax will be the best thing but not so sure.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:31 PM
SnorT91Man
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Have You Tried "Shark Hide"?

I learned sbout this stuff on Stacy David's "Gearz" TV show. I works great, but you have to polish your wheels first and then apply it. Keeps them sparkling for way longer than standard cleaners/polishers. One note of warning: the stuff's pretty toxic so follow the safety instructions and apply as directed. Uncle Google can tell you all about it.

Shark Hide keeps chrome, aluminum and painted surfaces from oxidizing by locking out contaminants that cause rust. I put it on my C5 Z06 wheels when brand new and they still look new two years later.

SnorT91Man
Old 11-19-2017, 11:43 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 539 Likes on 455 Posts

Even though this is a Corvette forum rather than an F250 (ford) (said quietly) forum, I guess we should be impressed that you think you can get better answers here than on a (ford) forum. Those American wheels deserve some nice treatment! I can't figure out where you are, but generally F250's don't get babied, and they live in a hostile environment! To keep those wheels nice will require more than a squirt now and then!

Look at it this way: When you're driving at 70 mph, the bottom of your tire is in contact with the pavement (hopefully), therefore that spot of your tire is moving at zero mph. Your axle is moving at 70 mph, and the top of your tire is moving at 140 mph! Your wheels are taking a beating!!

Mother's aluminum polish on a regular schedule will do a much better job at maintaining those nice wheels than any squirt of "magic potion"!!

Old 11-19-2017, 11:54 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,556 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Those wheels come from the factory clearcoated. An occasional coat of wax is all you'll need, if that.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:13 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 539 Likes on 455 Posts

Yes, that may be true! Didn't you get any maintenance instructions from your wheel/tire dealer?

Check the ARE website for info: http://www.americanracing.com/wheels.cfm

Old 11-26-2017, 04:33 PM
mumaptz17
5th Gear

Default I know it's a corvette page..ha

This truck is not used for off roading or hauling... it's MY family vehicle. It's babied more than it needs to be. I dropped alot of $$$ to get the look I wanted. I need some specific ideas to keep them shining between polishing... that's all. This thread seemed to have liked minded people like me when it comes to keeping a vehicle looking good.

thank you!
Old 11-26-2017, 04:46 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

X2 on using Mothers. I polished my wheels a few years ago. For maintenance I use mothers on my small air buffer and wipe clean. Fast and simple. I do this maybe 5-6 times a year, usually before I go to a car show.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:51 PM
mumaptz17
5th Gear

Default Lol.. its babied!

QUOTE=Hot Rod Roy;1596005408]Even though this is a Corvette forum rather than an F250 (ford) (said quietly) forum, I guess we should be impressed that you think you can get better answers here than on a (ford) forum. Those American wheels deserve some nice treatment! I can't figure out where you are, but generally F250's don't get babied, and they live in a hostile environment! To keep those wheels nice will require more than a squirt now and then!

Look at it this way: When you're driving at 70 mph, the bottom of your tire is in contact with the pavement (hopefully), therefore that spot of your tire is moving at zero mph. Your axle is moving at 70 mph, and the top of your tire is moving at 140 mph! Your wheels are taking a beating!!

Mother's aluminum polish on a regular schedule will do a much better job at maintaining those nice wheels than any squirt of "magic potion"!!

[/QUOTE]
It is my baby! I'm very particular about my vehicles because I generally keep them for 10 or more years and I like them to look good those years! American force wheels are a big investment, and I couldn't get a good answer from anyone I knew. This thread seemed to have liked minded people when it came to vehicle care.lol.. I've always been more of a truck girl.. thanks though for your reply. I really want a good way to keep them shining between polishing as well.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:03 PM
mumaptz17
5th Gear

Default No

Originally Posted by 383vett
Those wheels come from the factory clearcoated. An occasional coat of wax is all you'll need, if that.
No.. just highly polished.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:04 PM
mumaptz17
5th Gear

Default Wrong wheel

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Yes, that may be true! Didn't you get any maintenance instructions from your wheel/tire dealer?

Check the ARE website for info: http://www.americanracing.com/wheels.cfm

these are American force wheels.. but thank you
Old 11-27-2017, 06:18 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 124 Posts

X3 on mothers. Use electric buffer. No clearcoat

Last edited by kenmohr; 11-27-2017 at 06:19 AM.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:57 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I found a bare al treatment called "Zoop Seal". I applied this to all the prepared/polished suspension pieces. It was the preferred product for those on the car show circuit.

My experience was that it worked as advertised and needed to reapplied after two years.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:44 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
t with the pavement (hopefully), therefore that spot of your tire is moving at zero mph. Your axle is moving at 70 mph, and the top of your tire is moving at 140 mph! Your wheels are taking a beating!
However, the angular velocity is the same! Oxidation and abrasion from road detritus is the enemy, as it impacts the trailing surface at say, 70mph. My '57 F100 can go that fast!

Mothers is the aluminum polish I use, mostly, but others will afford similar, quick treatment, every so often, depending on how harsh the environment. Metal polishing places go further, closing the pores, hence lasting longer than home polishing. Optional ceramic clear coat after will further extend the shine's life.

No more chrome wheels for me.

Get notified of new replies

To maintaining polished aluminum american force wheels

Quick Reply: maintaining polished aluminum american force wheels