Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

PA roads

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 09:40 AM
c05v3tt3
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by poughkeepsie
I have bent 3 wheels so far on I81 between Schuylkill and Luzerne counties
That's my fear as well. It's like driving an obstacle course but as others have said it's probably just best to take the Vette out on weekends when there is less traffic.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:42 AM
c05v3tt3
Racer

Originally Posted by hcvone
HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT ABOUT OUR ROADS? They are way worst than you describe, try living here with nice cars, it's a battle everyday, THEN when they finally repave a road, two weeks later they are digging back up again. Like a battle between NIT and WIT
Sadly this is true.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:55 AM
c05v3tt3
Racer

Originally Posted by capevettes
How is 81 between Scranton/Wilkes Barre and Carlisle? I drive that every year on the way to the show. It seems to be perpetually under construction in many places.
I drove from Harrisburg to the Poconos in early June via 81 and there was single lane construction at mile marker 118 & 135. I got through easily northbound but headed up on a Wednesday morning after rush hour so the traffic was much lighter. I did get hung up southbound on my way back but it was at least moving 40-50 mph. The paving looked to almost be completed on the southbound side so it may not be an issue come August. There is also construction near Scranton that I had no issues Northbound but did on my return trip. I don't believe there has ever been a time when there is no construction on 81 near Scranton so that should be like 2nd nature at this point. Anyhow, there is no construction on 81 to/from Carlisle from Harrisburg but of course that can change at any given moment. Hopefully this helps?
The following users liked this post:
capevettes (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 10:32 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by c05v3tt3
I drove from Harrisburg to the Poconos in early June via 81 and there was single lane construction at mile marker 118 & 135. I got through easily northbound but headed up on a Wednesday morning after rush hour so the traffic was much lighter. I did get hung up southbound on my way back but it was at least moving 40-50 mph. The paving looked to almost be completed on the southbound side so it may not be an issue come August. There is also construction near Scranton that I had no issues Northbound but did on my return trip. I don't believe there has ever been a time when there is no construction on 81 near Scranton so that should be like 2nd nature at this point. Anyhow, there is no construction on 81 to/from Carlisle from Harrisburg but of course that can change at any given moment. Hopefully this helps?
Thanks very much for that iinfo. I usually stop and stay on Lake Wallenpaupack on the way down from Mass. I leave very early the following morning before rush and construction begins, so I should be fine.

Thanks
Old 06-28-2019, 04:44 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts

Went to Carlisle and Hershey many times for car events. You can always see a lot of dead deer and alligators on or real close to the road. We are normally in my Vette and we look carefully ahead, I saw what a nice late model Vette looked like after it hit a gator, hint it was not pretty

Many times go down on Thursday s and going home Sunday PM the carcasses are still there!
Old 06-28-2019, 06:41 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by 6spdC6
Went to Carlisle and Hershey many times for car events. You can always see a lot of dead deer and alligators on or real close to the road. We are normally in my Vette and we look carefully ahead, I saw what a nice late model Vette looked like after it hit a gator, hint it was not pretty

Many times go down on Thursday s and going home Sunday PM the carcasses are still there!

Took me a bit to figure out what you meant by "alligators". That's one of my biggest fears, especially driving on the PA Turnpike. Fortunately, I only drive it once, sometimes twice, a year. And only from Bedford to the Blue Mountain exit. But this last week for Chevy Nats at Carlisle, there was no attendant at the Blue Mountain exit and this being my first time experiencing this, it was confusing as heck trying to figure out what to do. Now you have to swipe your ticket. They don't tell you what to do next. So I swiped it 4 times, still couldn't get a receipt, so had to ask for assistance and got a smart *** turnpike worker on the speaker. Finally pushed the damn button for my receipt, but it it was so high up, and the wind was blowing the ticket up, and I'm down low in the Vette............couldn't reach it. Can't get out either because there's no room. Fortunately, the lady in the car behind me took pity on me, jumped out, grabbed the receipt and handed it to me. Much appreciated. But the receipt, that should have read $8.70, reads $31.50. So now I'm waiting for the bill to come in the mail and then send them the form for the wrong amount along with the check. This state just keeps getting more and more stupid by the day.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:46 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 732 Posts

You should come to Long Island - these roads are completely going to crap. When they do the repairs they don't put enough blacktop and the stones become buck shot and take out windshields and the paint.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:31 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by fyreline
What can you expect from a state whose official tree is the orange traffic cone? I have been travelling from NY to Florida for many decades, and the roads through Pennsylvania are absolutely the worst. I swear it seems like some sections have been under construction for twenty years, and still aren't any closer to done, or any better. Ridiculous.
sad but oh so true, PennDot is a disgrace, kinda like the governor of NY .........

Originally Posted by capevettes
How is 81 between Scranton/Wilkes Barre and Carlisle? I drive that every year on the way to the show. It seems to be perpetually under construction in many places.
I-81 northbound through Scranton has a major project going on that a normal DOT would have done in a matter of a few months, I'm hearing 2 years !
The following users liked this post:
capevettes (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 07:23 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

They do seem to turn these road projects into careers. I should be OK heading down Southbound. I do a "Dawn Patrol" on the way home. 0400 departure, so I should be OK Northbound as well.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:30 PM
patriotpa
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Try the roads in Camden, NJ. I BOUNCED my entire Chevy Silverado ext cab up in the air going over an unavoidable pothole that was a bit wider than my truck. This was at about 50MPH. I couldn't believe we didn't destroy the truck. Fortunately, no damage but a bit of an alignment issue that was easily corrected at the dealer.

Camden, NJ. What a sewer.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:53 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by BLUE1972
You should come to Long Island - these roads are completely going to crap. When they do the repairs they don't put enough blacktop and the stones become buck shot and take out windshields and the paint.
NYC is no better.....possibly even worse. What really makes me crazy is when the crews are patching the potholes and they put road cones right next to the deepest holes and then don't even fill them. What the heck is that about?
Old 07-13-2019, 12:15 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,988 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I have no beef with the roads in western Pa

Quick Reply: PA roads