Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

PA roads

 
Old 06-28-2019, 09:40 AM
  #21  
c05v3tt3
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: Harrisburg PA
Posts: 202
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by poughkeepsie View Post
I have bent 3 wheels so far on I81 between Schuylkill and Luzerne counties
That's my fear as well. It's like driving an obstacle course but as others have said it's probably just best to take the Vette out on weekends when there is less traffic.
c05v3tt3 is offline  
Old 06-28-2019, 09:42 AM
  #22  
c05v3tt3
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: Harrisburg PA
Posts: 202
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by hcvone View Post
HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT ABOUT OUR ROADS? They are way worst than you describe, try living here with nice cars, it's a battle everyday, THEN when they finally repave a road, two weeks later they are digging back up again. Like a battle between NIT and WIT
Sadly this is true.
c05v3tt3 is offline  
Old 06-28-2019, 09:55 AM
  #23  
c05v3tt3
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: Harrisburg PA
Posts: 202
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by capevettes View Post
How is 81 between Scranton/Wilkes Barre and Carlisle? I drive that every year on the way to the show. It seems to be perpetually under construction in many places.
I drove from Harrisburg to the Poconos in early June via 81 and there was single lane construction at mile marker 118 & 135. I got through easily northbound but headed up on a Wednesday morning after rush hour so the traffic was much lighter. I did get hung up southbound on my way back but it was at least moving 40-50 mph. The paving looked to almost be completed on the southbound side so it may not be an issue come August. There is also construction near Scranton that I had no issues Northbound but did on my return trip. I don't believe there has ever been a time when there is no construction on 81 near Scranton so that should be like 2nd nature at this point. Anyhow, there is no construction on 81 to/from Carlisle from Harrisburg but of course that can change at any given moment. Hopefully this helps?
c05v3tt3 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
capevettes (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 10:32 AM
  #24  
capevettes
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
capevettes's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Cape Cod, Mass.
Posts: 16,277
Received 1,155 Likes on 807 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by c05v3tt3 View Post
I drove from Harrisburg to the Poconos in early June via 81 and there was single lane construction at mile marker 118 & 135. I got through easily northbound but headed up on a Wednesday morning after rush hour so the traffic was much lighter. I did get hung up southbound on my way back but it was at least moving 40-50 mph. The paving looked to almost be completed on the southbound side so it may not be an issue come August. There is also construction near Scranton that I had no issues Northbound but did on my return trip. I don't believe there has ever been a time when there is no construction on 81 near Scranton so that should be like 2nd nature at this point. Anyhow, there is no construction on 81 to/from Carlisle from Harrisburg but of course that can change at any given moment. Hopefully this helps?
Thanks very much for that iinfo. I usually stop and stay on Lake Wallenpaupack on the way down from Mass. I leave very early the following morning before rush and construction begins, so I should be fine.

Thanks
capevettes is offline  
Old 06-28-2019, 04:44 PM
  #25  
6spdC6
CF Senior Member
 
6spdC6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2005
Location: A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake in the "Peoples Republic" of upper NY state http://www.visitsacandaga.com/
Posts: 28,266
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
Default

Went to Carlisle and Hershey many times for car events. You can always see a lot of dead deer and alligators on or real close to the road. We are normally in my Vette and we look carefully ahead, I saw what a nice late model Vette looked like after it hit a gator, hint it was not pretty

Many times go down on Thursday s and going home Sunday PM the carcasses are still there!
6spdC6 is offline  
Old 06-28-2019, 06:41 PM
  #26  
USA1 427
CF Senior Member
 
USA1 427's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,202
Received 231 Likes on 171 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 6spdC6 View Post
Went to Carlisle and Hershey many times for car events. You can always see a lot of dead deer and alligators on or real close to the road. We are normally in my Vette and we look carefully ahead, I saw what a nice late model Vette looked like after it hit a gator, hint it was not pretty

Many times go down on Thursday s and going home Sunday PM the carcasses are still there!

Took me a bit to figure out what you meant by "alligators". That's one of my biggest fears, especially driving on the PA Turnpike. Fortunately, I only drive it once, sometimes twice, a year. And only from Bedford to the Blue Mountain exit. But this last week for Chevy Nats at Carlisle, there was no attendant at the Blue Mountain exit and this being my first time experiencing this, it was confusing as heck trying to figure out what to do. Now you have to swipe your ticket. They don't tell you what to do next. So I swiped it 4 times, still couldn't get a receipt, so had to ask for assistance and got a smart *** turnpike worker on the speaker. Finally pushed the damn button for my receipt, but it it was so high up, and the wind was blowing the ticket up, and I'm down low in the Vette............couldn't reach it. Can't get out either because there's no room. Fortunately, the lady in the car behind me took pity on me, jumped out, grabbed the receipt and handed it to me. Much appreciated. But the receipt, that should have read $8.70, reads $31.50. So now I'm waiting for the bill to come in the mail and then send them the form for the wrong amount along with the check. This state just keeps getting more and more stupid by the day.
USA1 427 is offline  
Old 06-28-2019, 06:46 PM
  #27  
BLUE1972
CF Senior Member
 
BLUE1972's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: FARMINGDALE N..Y.
Posts: 4,699
Received 326 Likes on 285 Posts
Default

You should come to Long Island - these roads are completely going to crap. When they do the repairs they don't put enough blacktop and the stones become buck shot and take out windshields and the paint.
BLUE1972 is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 02:31 PM
  #28  
Mikado463
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Mikado463's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2012
Location: SE Pa
Posts: 2,172
Received 129 Likes on 117 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fyreline View Post
What can you expect from a state whose official tree is the orange traffic cone? I have been travelling from NY to Florida for many decades, and the roads through Pennsylvania are absolutely the worst. I swear it seems like some sections have been under construction for twenty years, and still aren't any closer to done, or any better. Ridiculous.
sad but oh so true, PennDot is a disgrace, kinda like the governor of NY .........

Originally Posted by capevettes View Post
How is 81 between Scranton/Wilkes Barre and Carlisle? I drive that every year on the way to the show. It seems to be perpetually under construction in many places.
I-81 northbound through Scranton has a major project going on that a normal DOT would have done in a matter of a few months, I'm hearing 2 years !
Mikado463 is online now  
The following users liked this post:
capevettes (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 07:23 PM
  #29  
capevettes
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
capevettes's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Cape Cod, Mass.
Posts: 16,277
Received 1,155 Likes on 807 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
Default

They do seem to turn these road projects into careers. I should be OK heading down Southbound. I do a "Dawn Patrol" on the way home. 0400 departure, so I should be OK Northbound as well.
capevettes is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 07:30 PM
  #30  
patriotpa
CF Senior Member
 
patriotpa's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2015
Posts: 2,461
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Try the roads in Camden, NJ. I BOUNCED my entire Chevy Silverado ext cab up in the air going over an unavoidable pothole that was a bit wider than my truck. This was at about 50MPH. I couldn't believe we didn't destroy the truck. Fortunately, no damage but a bit of an alignment issue that was easily corrected at the dealer.

Camden, NJ. What a sewer.
patriotpa is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 11:53 PM
  #31  
3JsVette
CF Senior Member
 
3JsVette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,421
Received 553 Likes on 526 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BLUE1972 View Post
You should come to Long Island - these roads are completely going to crap. When they do the repairs they don't put enough blacktop and the stones become buck shot and take out windshields and the paint.
NYC is no better.....possibly even worse. What really makes me crazy is when the crews are patching the potholes and they put road cones right next to the deepest holes and then don't even fill them. What the heck is that about?
3JsVette is offline  
Old 07-13-2019, 12:15 PM
  #32  
449er
CF Senior Member
 
449er's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,746
Received 410 Likes on 345 Posts
Default

I have no beef with the roads in western Pa
449er is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PA roads


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: