Notices
C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter preload

 
Old 06-04-2019, 06:12 PM
  #61  
bwill03z
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bwill03z's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2011
Location: sw VA
Posts: 1,420
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DetroitPlac View Post
https://youtu.be/gxo_iGD_uMc

Here's my car (excuse the mess, I'm just about to clean it up)...just took this after my drive home. Everything up to temp, Oil hot (200), etc...the fans turn on and mask it a bit at some point. Shot on my phone (pixel 3a), so quality really isn't great...I think the noise is a bit more noticeable in person.

Noise is most prevalent from the bottom, and you can hear it when I go down to the ground.

This is improved over where I started by running less preload and Mobil 1 0w40.
Sounds similar to mine but definitely smoother and quieter
bwill03z is offline  
Old 06-04-2019, 06:13 PM
  #62  
bwill03z
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bwill03z's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2011
Location: sw VA
Posts: 1,420
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Speedy007 View Post
I agree with Detroit the springs are to heavy for your mods. Down grade to a regular beehive @.600 think it will fix your issue.
What about letís say the PAC 1219 springs?
bwill03z is offline  
Old 06-04-2019, 06:13 PM
  #63  
Speedy007
CF Senior Member
 
Speedy007's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Posts: 247
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bwill03z View Post
Very smoothe, minus the belt lol
Thanks ya I had way overfilled the power steering and went it went on the jack stack it leaked out all over my belt shoulda heard when it first happened lol. Sounded like every pulley bearing was shot. Just got in my new o2 meter. The Vc-50 is next.

Last edited by Speedy007; 06-04-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Speedy007 is offline  
Old 06-04-2019, 06:18 PM
  #64  
Speedy007
CF Senior Member
 
Speedy007's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Posts: 247
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bwill03z View Post
What about letís say the PAC 1219 springs?
Part # 12625033 I believe.
Hereís a example of what you prob should have for springs. Notice one is new but if you look up the part # they will be blue color


Last edited by Speedy007; 06-04-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Speedy007 is offline  
Old 06-04-2019, 06:38 PM
  #65  
bwill03z
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bwill03z's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2011
Location: sw VA
Posts: 1,420
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

Looks like the PAC 1219 springs are for cams under 230 duration and rated to .625 lift so maybe these would be better for my 228R than the dual .660 springs I have. If I swap to these I may try a different pushrod also to experiment with preload. If I run any longer I would be maxed out on preload so I would prob try a 7.375 pr
bwill03z is offline  
Old 06-05-2019, 09:36 AM
  #66  
DetroitPlac
CF Senior Member
 
DetroitPlac's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2014
Location: Detroit MI
Posts: 824
Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bwill03z View Post
Looks like the PAC 1219 springs are for cams under 230 duration and rated to .625 lift so maybe these would be better for my 228R than the dual .660 springs I have. If I swap to these I may try a different pushrod also to experiment with preload. If I run any longer I would be maxed out on preload so I would prob try a 7.375 pr
Guess it depends HOW quiet you want it. I'm still running heavy dual springs, and less preload on the lifters (with 7.375 PRs) quieted it down enough to be acceptable to me. As you could hear, it still makes some noise though.

Another thing to consider is your intended use of the car. If you're doing a lot of track and high RPM driving, dual springs offer a nice safety net in the event of spring failure.

For a mostly street car, these lighter springs are probably the way to go.
DetroitPlac is offline  
Old 06-05-2019, 10:32 AM
  #67  
bwill03z
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bwill03z's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2011
Location: sw VA
Posts: 1,420
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DetroitPlac View Post
Guess it depends HOW quiet you want it. I'm still running heavy dual springs, and less preload on the lifters (with 7.375 PRs) quieted it down enough to be acceptable to me. As you could hear, it still makes some noise though.

Another thing to consider is your intended use of the car. If you're doing a lot of track and high RPM driving, dual springs offer a nice safety net in the event of spring failure.

For a mostly street car, these lighter springs are probably the way to go.
Well I donít expect a dead silent motor, although that would be nice. These are naturally noisy motors esp with a cam so I donít mind some noise but what mine sounds like right now is unacceptable to me, itís embarrassingly loud and if I donít find some sort of resolution the car will most likely go up for sale. Some ppl might say thatís stupid bit Iím sort of a perfectionist sometimes so it really drives me nuts. I canít enjoy driving the car because all I hear is a loud *** sewing machine. I may just have a not so healthy motor bc even bone stock I thought it was a bit noisy. I Found A video of when my motor was completely stock. Doesnít sound terrible but a little noisy to my ears for completely stock motor.

Last edited by bwill03z; 06-05-2019 at 10:49 AM.
bwill03z is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 04:09 PM
  #68  
DetroitPlac
CF Senior Member
 
DetroitPlac's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2014
Location: Detroit MI
Posts: 824
Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts
Default

Hey bwill, clear your PMs.
DetroitPlac is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 04:31 PM
  #69  
bwill03z
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bwill03z's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2011
Location: sw VA
Posts: 1,420
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DetroitPlac View Post
Hey bwill, clear your PMs.
Sorry, should be able to send msg now
bwill03z is offline  
Old 06-15-2019, 01:43 PM
  #70  
turabo87
CF Senior Member
 
turabo87's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2018
Location: Miami
Posts: 450
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default

Bwill, did you ever check your entire exhaust to see if you werenít having direct contact with the tunnel of the car? I just fixed my midpipe today at the muffler shop and my valvetrain noise in the cabin is now gone. No more sewing machine. Worth checking.

New mid pipe segment welded, no more direct contact with the tunnel
turabo87 is offline  
Old 06-15-2019, 04:01 PM
  #71  
bwill03z
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bwill03z's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2011
Location: sw VA
Posts: 1,420
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by turabo87 View Post
Bwill, did you ever check your entire exhaust to see if you werenít having direct contact with the tunnel of the car? I just fixed my midpipe today at the muffler shop and my valvetrain noise in the cabin is now gone. No more sewing machine. Worth checking.

New mid pipe segment welded, no more direct contact with the tunnel
Glad you got yours fixed! Yes I did check the exhaust and itís not touching the tunnel anywhere unfortunately. I didnít suspect that to be the issue cause you can clearly hear in the cabin that the noise is coming from the motor. I am going to put some shorter pushrods (factory ones actually) in to see if a little less preload makes any difference at all.
bwill03z is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lifter preload


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: