Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page >

Overheating big block - could use some suggestions...?

Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Overheating big block - could use some suggestions...?

Old 05-19-2019, 05:10 PM
BigBill94
CF Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PAmotorman View Post
go to the auto parts and buy a brass cup type expansion plug that is a snug slip fit in the hose and drill a 1/8" hole in the center. https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/7-...gs-p/a3952.htm. not the correct size just to show what to buy
I'll do this for sure, thank you for the tip.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:55 PM
OldCarBum
CF Senior Member

Received 427 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBill94 View Post
Interesting. For a street motor you definitely want the bypass to eliminate steam pockets. Restricting it though would still allow for the function without all the bypass flow.

Not sure I've seen a bypass hose restrictor however..... I suppose you could use a 1/2 NPT -> -3 or -4 AN, sort of an exotic way around it however.... Any suggestions?
- AN fittings for water cooled exhaust for boat headers use restrictors in the water lines to adjust the amount of water flowing through the header primary tubes.
West marine, Bassett Racing Headers and Earl’s sell them.
Old Yesterday, 09:15 PM
BigBill94
CF Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Rather than check the cooling system to hold pressure, I did a compression check. I have no oil in the water and no water in the oil

Readings:

#1 210.5
#2 214.5
#3 (tool won't fit due to borgeson box, gave up after about 45 mins)
#4 191.5
#5 184.5
#6 191
#7 186
#8 211.5

I'd surmise with the 184.5 reading in #5 and 186 in #7 that the driver's side head gasket is the source of my cooling problem. BBC with flat tops and 100CC chamber heads.
Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM
Milan454
CF Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm surprised on one mentioned head gasket to block coolant port missmatch. One of my Big blocks behaved the same way. We tore it down to find Siamese flow gaskets on a series flow block..

Pm or email if you would like to learn more.
Best,
Milan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overheating big block - could use some suggestions...?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: