Notices
C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'19 Z06 track fluids

Old 06-12-2019, 11:53 AM
2019GSTX
CF Senior Member

Received 159 Likes on 115 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by JMII View Post

I wonder what brake fluid they run at Spring Mountain... anyone know?
They answered my email.....ATE Typ200
Old 06-12-2019, 03:47 PM
JMII
CF Senior Member

Received 339 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by 2019GSTX View Post
They answered my email.....ATE Typ200
Good to know. TYP200 is a pretty standard recommendation for heavy duty DOT4 applications. However the other fluids recommended in this thread have higher boiling points thus they are a bit better.

I don't swap fluids after track days. As posted by others the problem with racing fluid is it attracts water faster then normal fluid, this lowers its boiling point. So it needs to be flushed more often. I do several track days a year so I am always pushing old fluid out and putting new fluid in.

If you are only going to do ONE track day then yes it would be advisable to put the normal DOT3 stuff back in. GM recommends non-tracked C7s only need the brake fluid changed every 10 years or 150K miles - which seems CRAZY to me. Other manufactures say 2 to 3 years with normal use: https://www.cars.com/articles/how-of...1420680336417/

Last edited by JMII; 06-12-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:19 PM
2019GSTX
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '19

Thanks JMII
So, back to an earlier question, no issue with a little bit of mixing of the factory fill with the 600 or SRF? I'm sure I wont be able to flush out the factory fill completely using the Motive set up. Likewise when I do go back to the factory fill after the track I'm sure some racing fluid will still remain. Sorry I'm used to my old C3, Fill, bleed, fill, bleed, one type of fluid.
I know on my Harley's you kinda have to have the "box" in order to actuate the ABS valves to get it all completely out.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:18 PM
JMII
CF Senior Member

I mixed and didn't cycle the ABS. The fluids are compatible with each other so there should be no problems. Similar to doing any fluid exchange its pretty much impossible to completely flush the entire system and ensure every single drop gets out.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:41 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 484 Likes on 285 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by GoatHead View Post
In the manual, GM recommends GM Part 88861800 for M7 Tranny and Dexron GM part 88862624 for Diff.

I see, now, that the magic word is Recommended not required.

Which Amsoil do you recommend for the manual transmission? All I see on their website is for automatic.

Thanks again,
Originally Posted by Cerulaen View Post
I would also be interested in knowing which Amsoil products you recommend for both the manual transmission as well as the differential. I have always used Amsoil products in my track cars where possible, but am new to the Corvette. Interesting that Amsoil recommends ATF for both manual and automatic transmissions.
Amsoil rear diff fluid is their Severe gear 75w90 with their "Slip Lock" additive.

Manual transmission fluid is their "Torque Drive" ATF. GM's "manual transmission and transfer case" fluid, which is the factory fill in the M7 transmission is a Dexron 3 based ATF with a different additive package than what was in Dex 3 ATF. Amsoil Torque Drive is a synthetic version of that and works very well.

At this time I am not recommending any automatic transmission fluids other than the updated Mobil One HP fluid that has been revised. My thought behind that is that if GM had them redesign the fluid twice already for clutch pack, seal and torque converter compatibility, I'll wait until that's all sorted out before trying something else.
The following users liked this post:
GoatHead (06-13-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 08:18 PM
TJC333
CF Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]'dAutosport.com View Post
CASTROL SRF

The SRF is the absolute best brake fluid on the market, period. If you want the best the Castrol SRF is it. Due to it’s extremely high dry & wet boiling points.

Boiling Point:
Dry: 310°C (590°F)
Wet: 270°C (518°F)

Size Per Bottle:
1 Liter

Castrol SRF Brake Fluid’s unique silicon ester technology absorbs less water than conventional glycol ether fluids and prevents the fluid’s high temperature performance from deteriorating. Its wet boiling point of 270°C is vastly superior to the minimum requirement of 155°C demanded by the current US DOT 4 specification. Its ability to withstand temperatures in excess of 300°C and superior resistance to the effects of absorbed water have established Castrol SRF Brake Fluid as the world’s premier fluid for the hydraulic brakes used in all forms of motorsport and racing.
Does it have to be replaced every year?
Old 06-13-2019, 08:52 AM
fishpick
CF Senior Member

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 2019GSTX View Post
Thanks fish and goathead….
...Yeah thats what I am afraid of! We do have a local track here and I would like to try that some time...
@2019GSTX ... be afraid... be very afraid... my "local track" is Watkins Glenn... Now, suddenly... I'm looking at my pristine almost 4K mile car... and thinking - about 650ish of those miles are track miles... and I'm looking at the interior I was afraid to have a bottle of water in and figuring out how to cut holes in the plastic to get a harness bar installed...

It changes your perception of the car and the world around the car FOR SURE...

Spring Mountain is the guy on the corner who offers you a free snort of booger sugar... going to the track is the all you can eat crack house

But man is it fun!
Old 06-13-2019, 08:52 AM
Cerulaen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06 View Post
Amsoil rear diff fluid is their Severe gear 75w90 with their "Slip Lock" additive.

Manual transmission fluid is their "Torque Drive" ATF. GM's "manual transmission and transfer case" fluid, which is the factory fill in the M7 transmission is a Dexron 3 based ATF with a different additive package than what was in Dex 3 ATF. Amsoil Torque Drive is a synthetic version of that and works very well.

At this time I am not recommending any automatic transmission fluids other than the updated Mobil One HP fluid that has been revised. My thought behind that is that if GM had them redesign the fluid twice already for clutch pack, seal and torque converter compatibility, I'll wait until that's all sorted out before trying something else.
Thank you for the info, much appreciated!
Old 06-13-2019, 09:11 AM
GoatHead
CF Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by fishpick View Post
@2019GSTX ... be afraid... be very afraid... my "local track" is Watkins Glenn... Now, suddenly... I'm looking at my pristine almost 4K mile car... and thinking - about 650ish of those miles are track miles... and I'm looking at the interior I was afraid to have a bottle of water in and figuring out how to cut holes in the plastic to get a harness bar installed...

It changes your perception of the car and the world around the car FOR SURE...

Spring Mountain is the guy on the corner who offers you a free snort of booger sugar... going to the track is the all you can eat crack house

But man is it fun!
What he said.
I became so addicted, that I look to register for another event during an event. Five 2 and 3 days events since October. I am on the waiting list for the NCM at VIR, registered with PCA in August, and planning on another event in October. If I am not on the track, weekends all of sudden became boring.

Checkout my channel, if you are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJT...m-jZBvvngEcdZg

Last edited by GoatHead; 06-13-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:31 AM
2019GSTX
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '19

@2019GSTX ... be afraid... be very afraid...
Fish,
I hear ya! I'm afraid its an expensive habit!
I've spent quite a bit so far upgrading the GS and I'm trying to get back to even so I can afford $68 dollar bottles of SRF and pay for track insurance!
Way too much going on right now to jump deep into tracking the car. Hopefully by the end of the summer when a few things are off my plate.
Ur right about Spring Mountain and when I saw the fast laps email for COTA during Corvette Invasion I couldn't pass it up.
Just go ahead and buy new panels and start cutting the old ones. I can sympathize with ya tho,

Goat, u have a lot coming up and it all sounds like fun. I will check out the channel! I would love to run Watkins Glen after watching so many NASCAR races there.

Thanks guys for helping (and not helping )

Now back to our original thread topic.....
Old 06-13-2019, 02:13 PM
JMII
CF Senior Member

It changes your perception of the car and the world around the car FOR SURE
Yep... it completely changes your definition of driving "hard" or "aggressive". I just have to laugh now when people claim to understand the handling characteristics of their car based on taking a highway off-ramp rather quickly You also gain a massive respect for professional drivers, as the level of mental and physical skills required to drive fast for a living is light years beyond what us mere mortals can manage every few weekends.

Once you start track driving you just realize that certain items are consumables you will be burning thru at an alarming rate - stuff like tires and brakes become yearly purchases instead of things you might need once or twice a decade.

Always glad to hear people using their vehicle in the way the engineers intended
Old 06-13-2019, 02:32 PM
2019GSTX
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by JMII View Post
Yep... it completely changes your definition of driving "hard" or "aggressive".
I can honestly say that before Spring Mountain I had no idea you could put these cars thru what we did, and my skill level is probably 1/10 of what its capable of. I run up and down the highway every day in 6th or 7th gear, 80mph, cruising. And to run 115 in 4th and downshift to 3rd while hard on the brakes just blew me away. I wouldn't have dreamed of doing that on the street (but I might now )
I tell friends that have never been on a track that they are mistaken if they think they can drive, or race. Tracking these cars, any car, is the only way to learn what the car is made of, and what you are made of!

New appreciation for guys that hop in a car and do it for hours. Heres hoping there are 2 yellow Vettes in front of 2 Ford GT's when all is said and done Sunday.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '19 Z06 track fluids

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: