Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The reveal event could have been much larger

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 11:33 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

The C8's rear end reveal, as well as the C8's steering wheel and console reveal have by now been brutalized, and trashed. Even by the blind buying Kool Aid drinkers here. They justifiably now see Cruze rear ends in their sleep! We've seen enough. GM is now actually trying to scr#w up what could have been an awesome Corvette/C8 presentation-reveal. 👎

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 07-13-2019 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:11 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
Normally I agree with you Foosh, but you are way off on this one. Some people are expecting it will be exciting for them. Otherwise, we would not have East Coast people complaining that the event is too late. We get it that the reveal is not that important to YOU, nor the general public. You don't want to drive to the reveal, and you don't want to watch it live. Fine, everyone's different.

Now that I have seen the responses. it sounds like GM did the right thing keeping the event small for a number of reasons. Unfortunately, one of them is that for many people, even many Corvette owners,.the reveal isn't worth the trouble of attending or even watching a live stream. That also explains why the reveal is on a weekday, and late at night for East Coast people.

So we have two camps: One group who is not enthusiastic about the reveal who doesn't understand the group that is enthusiastic, and the other group who is enthusiastic about the reveal who doesn't understand the group who is not enthusiastic.
It sounds to me that you now agree more than disagree with what I said. Yes, I know a very small number of people are very excited about this. But that WAS my point, it's a very small number that just has to see it live.

Whether it's seen live, replayed later, or in media coverage is not going to influence anyone's buying decision. Do you honestly think anyone will not buy the car because they didn't get tickets, or because they had to go to bed early on the east coast and couldn't view the reveal live?

Last edited by Foosh; 07-14-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:02 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by jimmyb
^^^^
So, "The entire reveal is stupid. Snobbish"

And you end with:
"It's---a car from GM."

That last line seems, oh, I don't know...rather SNOBBISH.
I guess only Ferrari gets to put on Robin Leach level reveals?
Mr. Pot and Mr. Kettle are looking for you...
The Corvette is the everyman's car. Its what makes it different. Its not for the "chosen precious few". Its priced (hopefully this one is too) so that its not only for the elites to own.

You don't need to stand in line to get one. You don't need to be "someone special" to get one. You don't need to buy 3 used Corvettes from your dealer to be able to buy a new one. You don't need to buy a car your dealer can't move and then trade it back in for a huge loss to get one. You can walk over to a dealer and drive one home that day as long as you can afford it --- and many can. You can buy one at any dealer you want, unlike some "others" who restrict you to one specific dealer who might have 3000 people ahead of you.

Oh, and you can negotiate the price.

I completely stand by what I said. This is a dumb elitist move that does nothing but pizzoff those who are denied. They should have release it at a major auto show and let everyone walk up and see it.

This is sending the wrong message. Everyone should have been invited who wanted to attend. Everyone.

Now explain to me how not allowing everyone interested in the car to see the car is "good for the brand"

Last edited by Sin City; 07-14-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:14 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
This entire "reveal" is stupid. Snobbish. Its perfect for making enemies and having others disappointed. Its raising the bar of expectations way beyond what its going to be. And, IMO, an unnecessary expense to GM for a car they are going to make about 30,000 of a year.

Should have just revealed it at a large auto show with thousands of people and journalists from all over the world.

Look at the venue they chose. A blimp hanger in Tustin? Really? Why not someplace significant in Corvette history or at a track where people could actually drive it?

Its --- a car from GM. Its not a cure for the common cold or something.
Wow, hope your day gets better. BTW, there always has been a cure for the "common cold", its called your immune system. GM really doesn't need your advice which is as comical as it is angry.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:28 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by GoldRose85
What I don't understand with the revel is the time....
Looks like GM is snubbing the east coast, the highest
volume dealers. Why not make it Prime time 8 PM EST.
Still early enough for the west coast to view....
Originally Posted by vndkshn
This is a very valid point. Even 9pm EST. FWIW, I’m not EST.
Originally Posted by Foosh
Reveal time is also irrelevant. It matters not whether folks see it live or on the internet minutes, hours, days, or weeks later.
If I fall asleep trying to stay up late here in Eastern PA it will be like ‘Christmas in July’ with visions of C8s before waking up early the next morning, probably around 04:30 am. Either way Foosh is right.

The following users liked this post:
orclubduck (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 02:44 PM
orclubduck
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 144 Likes on 80 Posts

I think the reveal is being manged by GM's Advertising Agency...which is why it is in Tustin where they film the current commercials. The whole reveal will be a long running Ad campaign for the next 6 months where we all will see it...over and over again (during the Super Bowl for sure!!).

If you are going, Great enjoy yourself and take a lot of pictures, as you will have a lasting memory. For the rest of us, we finally get to see the COMPLETE real deal, and I am happy to see it on the live stream, and ALL of us will be waiting for pricing and options as the next bit of anticipation.

In my opinion, inviting the local owners to have Corvettes at the reveal was ill conceived...as it opened up the discussion of worthiness, and there are some very loyal Corvette Owners who have bought so many Corvettes over the years. In the end, I hope you Corvette enthusiasts do not hold a grudge, as I am sure your Dealerships and Chevy do appreciate you a great deal, the Ad Agency is just too far removed to fully understand. The reason that the Corvette is the best selling sports car in history is the fact that so many of you buy NEW Corvettes frequently, and some of you keep many of them in your garages. This is a fact not lost on the other Manufactures of sports cars, where they get conquest buyers who do not upgrade as frequently.

Jeff

Last edited by orclubduck; 07-14-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:36 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
The "media types" already have the pictures, the specs (whatever GM is releasing to them), etc....you can bet Car and Driver, Road and Track, Motor Trend, Automobile, etc NEXT ISSUE will have the C8 ON THE COVER.

They may or may not but they are the target audience that GM media is staging this reveal for. Just watch and see the number of media and the bloggers swarming over the cars compared to the corvette enthusiasts. Every automotive blogger out there creating videos for their you tube feed.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:06 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
The Corvette is the everyman's car. Its what makes it different. Its not for the "chosen precious few". Its priced (hopefully this one is too) so that its not only for the elites to own.

You don't need to stand in line to get one. You don't need to be "someone special" to get one. You don't need to buy 3 used Corvettes from your dealer to be able to buy a new one. You don't need to buy a car your dealer can't move and then trade it back in for a huge loss to get one. You can walk over to a dealer and drive one home that day as long as you can afford it --- and many can. You can buy one at any dealer you want, unlike some "others" who restrict you to one specific dealer who might have 3000 people ahead of you.

Oh, and you can negotiate the price.

I completely stand by what I said. This is a dumb elitist move that does nothing but pizzoff those who are denied. They should have release it at a major auto show and let everyone walk up and see it.

This is sending the wrong message. Everyone should have been invited who wanted to attend. Everyone.

Now explain to me how not allowing everyone interested in the car to see the car is "good for the brand"
So, if the car had been shown at Detroit, EVERYONE would have been able to walk up and see it???? Except EVERYONE who DOESN'T live in Detroit.
They are live streaming the reveal...you're trying SO hard to turn this into another Ford GT thing that your common sense has left you.
And I stand by what I said, you are being a snob, disguised as being the "voice of reason". And BTW, the ONLY person on this forum who was pissed off about not being invited was Rick Conti.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimmyb:
Grzldvt1 (07-15-2019), ToddC7 (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 02:01 PM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,566 Likes on 860 Posts

You know one interesting place they could have done the unveiling is a football stadium most hold close to a 100,000 people and with all the big TV screens most will still get a pretty good look at it. Can you imagine if GM unveils a car and a 100,000 people showed up?

Also don't forget all the road shows going on across the country right after the unveiling. GM will get a ton of publicity on this one.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:30 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Redc7z06
You know one interesting place they could have done the unveiling is a football stadium most hold close to a 100,000 people and with all the big TV screens most will still get a pretty good look at it. Can you imagine if GM unveils a car and a 100,000 people showed up?
Or what if they DIDN'T show up? That would not be good. I think they are trying to "right size" this event so they can control the crowd size and be reasonably certain that of their numbers.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:39 PM
ToddC7
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Redc7z06

Also don't forget all the road shows going on across the country right after the unveiling. GM will get a ton of publicity on this one.
As much as I like the Corvette and bought one, even if I got an invite I'd probably choose not to go as I need to work and I can see just as much on youtube about 1 minute later after reveal.

I highly doubt GM would get as many people to go as you think - even if they are interested.

Not to say I'm not excited, I am, more for hoping GM nails it than anything else. I'm probably not even in the market immediately as I just got a 4runner TRD PRO and now realize the value of having so much hauling space.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:07 PM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 203 Posts

anyone have a list of dealers and dates to see one?
Old 07-15-2019, 03:11 PM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mittens
GM is suppose to post this after the reveal but I know a few have their dates like Kerbeck and MacMulkins.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:14 PM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Or what if they DIDN'T show up? That would not be good. I think they are trying to "right size" this event so they can control the crowd size and be reasonably certain that of their numbers.
Yup true I guess just shove them all in one location so it looks full. :-) I just pointed this out as many here were asking for a bigger audience and others saying things like parking would be an issue. I mention stadium since these were designed for large crowds, parking, etc.....
Old 07-15-2019, 04:04 PM
sd7ss
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Yup

Originally Posted by mittens
Have a SHORT list of the first dealer (West of the Pecos) to showcase the C8:

July 22 & 23
Bob Stahl Chevrolet
La Mesa, California (San Diego)

Last edited by sd7ss; 07-15-2019 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:03 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

It's GM's largest reveal event in history as is. Plus, the "golden ticket" aspect built hype. I'm hosting a reveal party for my local Corvette club and fellow general car enthusiasts.

Quick Reply: The reveal event could have been much larger