Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Pilots.

Old Yesterday, 12:00 AM
Turbodude
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by driver9 View Post
I learned to fly in a Super Cub. Presumably the RV-8 is less squirrely than that?

What engine do you have that you run LOP? Is it injected and you have Gamijectors in it? My injected 310 doesn't have Gamijectors but I'll run it at around 58% power and then pull it LOP. I get to cruise 170 mph at 20-ish gph.

Sounds like a nice trip. At 7 gph and 182 mph you can afford to go without thinking about fuel costs. Awesome.

The RV-8 can be squirrelly during 3-point landings as it's not stalled in 3-point attitude. Most RV-8 owners wheelie it on like a P-51.

I've got a Lycoming O-360-A1A. It's carbuereted, but I lean till rough and enrichen just a tad till smooth. Normally cruise at WOT, but close the throttle slightly..maybe 0.25" Hg ..to close the enrichment circuit and provide better mixing. My EGT & CHT are pretty even. I also replaced the right mag with a PMag electronic ignition which reduced fuel burn by about 10% vs two mags. I can't get as far LOP as an injected engine, but would lose power any further LOP.

It's tough to beat the efficiency and economy of the RV-8. All around performance is impressive. 24,000 ft service ceiling. I've had it up to 14,500 ft with ease. 275 ft takeoff ground roll at sea level. High DA takeoff is a non-issue...I just takeoff full rich to keep CHT below 400 deg. The CS prop really amps the performance. 👍

Last edited by Turbodude; Yesterday at 12:21 AM.
Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM
driver9
CF Senior Member

Received 107 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodude View Post
The RV-8 can be squirrelly during 3-point landings as it's not stalled in 3-point attitude. Most RV-8 owners wheelie it on like a P-51.

I've got a Lycoming O-360-A1A. It's carbuereted, but I lean till rough and enrichen just a tad till smooth. Normally cruise at WOT, but close the throttle slightly..maybe 0.25" Hg ..to close the enrichment circuit and provide better mixing. My EGT & CHT are pretty even. I also replaced the right mag with a PMag electronic ignition which reduced fuel burn by about 10% vs two mags. I can't get as far LOP as an injected engine, but would lose power any further LOP.

It's tough to beat the efficiency and economy of the RV-8. All around performance is impressive. 24,000 ft service ceiling. I've had it up to 14,500 ft with ease. 275 ft takeoff ground roll at sea level. High DA takeoff is a non-issue...I just takeoff full rich to keep CHT below 400 deg. The CS prop really amps the performance. 👍

Thanks for all that info. Sounds like a lot of fun having an RV-8.
Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM
TurboTnZ06
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You want a Maule with the floaty things under it. Friend's dad was a charter pilot that had one. Flew in it, good fun he'd throw that thing right in a channel around sailboats and channel markers in tight quarters:

https://www.mauleairinc.com/post/sharks-in-the-runway

Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM
Ben Diss
D I S S T R B D
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Flying is my retirement gig.

Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM
TLS_Addict
CF Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I see Corvette Forum up on your iPad. Jk

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pilots.

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: