Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Aero Balance with GM Aero

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 02:21 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by lobsterroboto
LOOOOOOOOTS of GTR's have shown up at TDE and driven very poorly but they're so damn fast and they typically just don't get it. "faster on the straight" = faster to them. I'm pretty sure thats why Rick has an aversion lol.

TDE's red group has gotten pretty bad tho. The last time I was out there, it was just a **** show. Most of the drivers are casuals. I still think that TDE has the best program when it comes to teaching new students but it kind of falls off a little later. I think part of the problem is that they talk like the red run group is the pinnacle of driving so lots of those guys are slow and don't realize it thats's all they ever do is TDE so they dont really have a lot of exposure to faster drivers.
Red group is safe just not fast is what i mean by bad. They're all pretty good drivers safety wise and dont really have a problem getting stuck behind anyone.

We have a track junkies discord going if you want to get in on that, its mostly Texas area racers. We talk about events, car setups, builds etc.

Most of which are with NASA but we have HPDE guys too. it's a fun chat.

Also no kidding it's hot as hell I'm not exactly looking forward to next weekend or the TMS event. May even take a break until NOLA in october.
nothing like shade-less TMS and MSR in July and August. I need to figure out some shade.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:23 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 213 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C7 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
nothing like shade-less TMS and MSR in July and August. I need to figure out some shade.
come out for NASA next month hang out with me under my canopy and my friends RV.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:26 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

come out for NASA next month hang out with me under my canopy and my friends RV.
Where at?
Old 07-12-2019, 03:55 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Where at?

Texas Motor Speedway (the full ROVAL)
Old 07-21-2019, 10:38 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

That 7 mph was compared to you or to his previous speeds?
Old 07-21-2019, 05:41 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
....and a video for posterity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07BojCjr25M
I'm still looking through your data but poorscha shows his data as distance on the x axis instead of time. That helps line up the data exactly.

Edit: speed and lateral G vs distance would help explain what's going on on that big banking turn. Is it the size of his gonads or actual aero affecting the car?

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 07-21-2019 at 06:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lobsterroboto (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 09:21 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Lol. It’s several things....
- Z07 car vs my FE6
- Toyo Proxy RR vs my Nitto NT01
- Aero

Aero is the largest contribution based on that being the only change since our last time out.

Interesting to look at
If it is tires, shocks and springs , all turns will show higher peak G. Let's see the data!
Graph lateral G vs distance.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:10 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow I wonder if just with the stage 3 center wicker you could match his aero. All he has over you is a trunk mounted wing no? I thought the acs front matched the OEM front stange 3.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:02 AM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

The speed differential is attributed to the time to throttle on corner exit.

One driver is over slowing, braking sooner but going to gas sooner. The other driver is slowing fine but being kind of a prude with the throttle.

Both drivers are severely under driving their respective car. 1.36 G on RR's really?

ETA: NT01's aren't even in the same ballpark has RR's btw.
RR's are closer to Hoosier R7's than they are NT01.

Last edited by lobsterroboto; 07-22-2019 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:38 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

One driver is over slowing, braking sooner but going to gas sooner. The other driver is slowing fine but being kind of a prude with the throttle.

Both drivers are severely under driving their respective car. 1.36 G on RR's really?

Look at t17 and on. Red car is losing ground fast.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:50 AM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Look at t17 and on. Red car is losing ground fast.

Nothing about this data indicates to me that one car is better/worse with/without aero.

It's barely comparable to begin with. The only comparable factors are that they have cars on the same track if we ignore, suspension, tires, driver skill disparity etc.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:37 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Wow I wonder if just with the stage 3 center wicker you could match his aero. All he has over you is a trunk mounted wing no? I thought the acs front matched the OEM front stange 3.
APR has a second set of canards on the bumper plus rear tunnels (not just flimsy bolt on strakes) and undertray. OEM stage 3 won't get there.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:04 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Nice assumptions, too bad most are wrong or being made without asking about context....such as the fact it was near 100*, or that it was a 7/10s shake-down cruise to get a feel for the aero, or that the blue car was running 275s up front so it had a ton of push.

We know the difference between RRs and NT01s.

Sorry to disappoint you by not being out there pushing at 10/10s. Note to self.....never post data. Not worth the hassle.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:28 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Nice assumptions, too bad most are wrong or being made without asking about context....such as the fact it was near 100*, or that it was a 7/10s shake-down cruise to get a feel for the aero, or that the blue car was running 275s up front so it had a ton of push.

We know the difference between RRs and NT01s.

Sorry to disappoint you by not being out there pushing at 10/10s. Note to self.....never post data. Not worth the hassle.
please don't stop on my account. The more data you post the more you can potential learn to get better with analysis. We're in the same community to help. please don't get defensive and we all have a lot to learn to get faster myself included.

You should do a baseline test at your own pace with similar weather conditions, make changes and test again or at the least your friend should provide you before/after data to compare to your own.

It just gets amplified that there are so many things that have a massive impact on the data and its not enough to come to the conclusion you have at all.

In this case the context is irrelevant. 7/10ths or 10/10ths or 1/10ths doesn't matter. comparing how fast you eat an apple vs how fast you drink lemonade helps you determine how fast a swallow flies isn't ever going to work regardless of how much data you have on each.

Quick Reply: C7 Aero Balance with GM Aero