Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual clutch concern

Old 07-16-2019, 02:20 AM
crabman
CF Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not the forum police Foosh, know that up front. When someone is holding an opinion that he believes is a factual truth which he then champions on a forum it sends a conversation orbiting around the bowl and there is no where to go but down once reason has been vacated. As to going off topic it's not an easy line to define, strict moderation stifles conversation but you cant allow every thread to become a pulpit to preach from either. I don't just see grey in the mirror, as I've gotten older the whole world has become a bit grey and I used to hold opinions that I later came to understand had no basis. Looking back on it all I don't even know how I came to have those opinions in the first place; being old does that to you. For your purposes insofar as my intent I had not been talking about you; your certainly vocal about your opinions but you express them as such and that has always been fair comment in this part of the world. I had actually been thinking of another poster when I wrote that and I don't know that the shoe fits you. More important, I don't want to live in a world where I decide and think then that right has been done.

To flip this around another way right now we're 100 posts in and the OPs got little to work with which is a wrong we can make right. Or do we have some other agenda?
Old 07-16-2019, 06:43 AM
AORoads
CF Senior Member

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,214 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

And, while I do understand all the posts on this thread, no matter how specific to the original question, or branching off, this opinion post is also very clear (and I do agree with a lot of crabman's posts). I believe this quote applies to MOST threads:

"As a valuable contributor here, you should know well that threads do morph, just like any conversation. Conversations would would be pretty boring if everyone stuck strictly to whatever the starter chose to talk about. It's a good thing. Most of the more interesting threads are not the result of what an OP wrote, but when the topic branches out, and all angles of a subject are explored. ..." Foosh

I also believe that those who sometimes turn the corner and relate back to the original question provide a service to the OP. And make the thread relevant again---full circle kinda thing.
The following users liked this post:
SouthernSon (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 09:47 AM
I Fly Low
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Demon 757 View Post
So I have never driven a dual clutch trans in my life I have only drove TC autos and traditional manuals. All I want to know is what is it like driving a dual clutch is it simular to a TC auto besides the laggy paddle shifters or is it completely different.
I don't know how to operate the fourth pedal. It's gonna look like a church organ.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:22 AM
vndkshn
CF Senior Member

Received 423 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Skullbussa View Post
I'd like to see the expression on Lewis Hamilton or Fernando Alonso's face when they're told they're not really controlling their cars when they use sequential gearboxes which perform all the sync and rev matching you speak of.
Apples and oranges difference. BTW, you should pay close attention to when those guys shift and they show the throttle and brake pressure on screen, those two specifically (especially FA) blip the throttle themselves.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:32 AM
SouthernSon
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 299 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by vndkshn View Post
Apples and oranges difference. BTW, you should pay close attention to when those guys shift and they show the throttle and brake pressure on screen, those two specifically (especially FA) blip the throttle themselves.
In what manner? I would think the four wheels, brake, turn in, throttle, apex and track out would be a fairly common dynamic. No? I would seriously like to know how you identify them differently.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:08 PM
wvanepps

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

If it is a daily driver then a dual clutch / TC auto is better as getting stuck in bumper to bumper traffic in a manual really sucks. If it is sports car you drive on the weekend, track occasionally, and take to car shows then a manual is far more fun and engaging than a dual clutch / TC auto. Also it seems manual transmission sports cars hold their value better long term (10 years+).

I have a 2016 Jaguar XF-S that has an TC auto that is my daily driver but I have a 2018 Carbon 65 Z06 manual for my weekend fun car. Now if the Carbon 65 was my daily driver then I would have gotten it as an automatic.

Getting back to the OP - driving a DCT is not much different than an TC auto. You press the gas to go and the brake to stop. I had a 2013 E92 BMW M3 and a 2013 E92 BMW 335 IS and both had DCT transmissions. My wife does not know how to drive a manual but had zero problems driving both those cars. On a side note when BMW had to replace a DCT for me the cost was around $18k however the car was a CPO so BMW covered it.

Last edited by wvanepps; 07-16-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:19 PM
crabman
CF Senior Member

Mrs Crab had a first year E60 and the trans died a couple years into it. That was a TC automatic for 12k don't remember the miscellaneous and fluid, and they didn't break out the labor as it was on warranty. I'm trying to remember when those came out, I wanna say 04 or 05 so it would have been something like 12 13 years ago and you gotta figure it would be a chunk more now. I dont think there is an automatic trans in a modern car that is going to be cheap by the standards of most wallets. Don't have much first had knowledge of this, my reading tells me replacement costs are going to be DCT>TC auto>manual. It's a good point that there are other costs which may matter, certainly something to think about for long term owners. Over in Porsche land things are so expensive the conventional wisdom is not to own a late model car without warranty and those get quite expensive for older, ah, newer models. A thread I was in elsewhere was questioning how far away we were from most or all cars being a daunting prospect to own outside of warranty. So many things to go wrong and the ante keeps going up.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:34 PM
AORoads
CF Senior Member

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,214 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

ďPlanned obsolescence by inability to afford major repair.Ē Thatís possible and what I was asking about a couple days ago. $18K all-in for a new DCT w/o warranty might have a few who canít do it. I recall in Ď98 when one of the more expensive 5-speed TC autos was over $5K all-in; thatís a long time ago.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:05 PM
sly1
CF Senior Member

Received 171 Likes on 97 Posts

OK, so Porsche developed a PDK-equipped GT4 and is in the process of testing it around a track but they're not going to actually build it? Sounds like a colossal waste of resources, doesn't it?
Let me ask you this, when was the last time there was a manual-only Porsche?
2018 Porsche 911R. Sticker on this car is $180K, but they are now selling in the $400 - $500K range. The 911R is a stripped down GT3 offered only with a MT.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:54 PM
crabman
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by AORoads View Post
ďPlanned obsolescence by inability to afford major repair.Ē Thatís possible and what I was asking about a couple days ago. $18K all-in for a new DCT w/o warranty might have a few who canít do it. I recall in Ď98 when one of the more expensive 5-speed TC autos was over $5K all-in; thatís a long time ago.
Agreed, it used to be you didn't wonder about whether you could afford to fix a new car, it was just a matter of being able to afford getting it in the garage in the first place and then you were good to go. It really is something to consider nowadays. Sometimes it's not what you think either, a few years ago someone backed into me on the freeway. Traffic was stopped in wonderful downtown Seattle rush hour and the guy in front of me wanted to back up a little to make room to get into the next lane over, he backed up a little too much. The damage at first appeared very slight but it turned out while the broken grill and bent bracket holding the ACC camera were relatively cheap the alignment for the camera with a special tool of which there was only one in the entire multi state area being shared among all dealers was 1k. Didn't see that one coming and the guy that hit me was less than thrilled as he had wanted to pay without using his insurance but he couldn't afford it.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:16 PM
Racer86
CF Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by pdiddy972 View Post
Rev-matching makes heel-toe unnecessary.
But in a manual, you still have to move the shift lever., and let the clutch engage. No human can do this as fast as a DCT.
WELL KNOWN FACT.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:19 PM
pdiddy972
CF Senior Member

Received 385 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer86 View Post
But in a manual, you still have to move the shift lever., and let the clutch engage. No human can do this as fast as a DCT.
WELL KNOWN FACT.
Which is why no one has contested it. We just don't care.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:25 PM
Racer86
CF Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd like to see the expression on Lewis Hamilton or Fernando Alonso's face when they're told they're not really controlling their cars when they use sequential gearboxes which perform all the sync and rev matching you speak of.
They are not controlling the gearbox and rev sync. They call for the ecu to shift the transaxle , to the next gear, up or down. The ecu will delay a downshift if it sees the resultant rev would be over the rev limit. But these drivers donít make that mistake as it causes an increase in lap times. Driver calls for a shift, ecu makes it. Been this way for a decade.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:16 PM
Oneslackr
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 150 Posts

I'm looking forward to the DCT in the Vette. If the comments above are anything to go by I think I'd like it just fine as long as it's well sorted out. My current Vette has an M7. It will be interesting to see how the DCT works out in the C8.

It's great that the OP is into Vettes as his age and is interested in learning as much as possible about them. Hopefully, the C8 will get even more young people excited about Vettes.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:45 PM
Speed Demon 757
CF Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Oneslackr View Post
I'm looking forward to the DCT in the Vette. If the comments above are anything to go by I think I'd like it just fine as long as it's well sorted out. My current Vette has an M7. It will be interesting to see how the DCT works out in the C8.

It's great that the OP is into Vettes as his age and is interested in learning as much as possible about them. Hopefully, the C8 will get even more young people excited about Vettes.
I showed a lot of my friends the camo c8 and they are all about it, and when I told them the rumored prices I think their eyes glowed for a second.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dual clutch concern

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: