C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] '67 is the head coming off??

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 11:21 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

That engine is looking great, you must be getting excited.
You mentioned adding coolant and firing it up. A tip for that would be to fill the block with warm water not Cold water or coolant.
Cold fluid shrinks the new engine and tightens the piston to bore clearance. This can cause a piston scuff on cold start if you start it right after filling the block.
Using warm water does the opposite it increases the piston to bore clearance and gives you a margin of safety on the inital start up.
As long as the coolant going in is warmer than the temp of your new block you have no worries.
Looking forward to your start up.
On that initial start and cam break in be prepared, it may try to overheat while you are trying to get that 20 minutes in at 2,000+ RPM.
Have a fan set up and ready to use, and a garden hose with a spray knozzle on it that can mist cool water over the radiator can keep your temps under control safely and get you through the important first 20 minutes.
Break it in right once and never regret it.
Mark
The following users liked this post:
leif.anderson93 (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 12:11 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Breaking it in right apparently cannot be repeated often enough. Several years ago I built a 401 AMC for my son in laws brother. The 390 and 401 AMC unbeknownst to 98.5% of the automotive enthusiast world are very nice engines, forged cranks, steel rods, big valve heads. Anyway I built this to replace the original 304. I told him over and over to have it ready to fire, oil primed, timing set, carb ready and primed? I explained that AMCs had issues with the cam gear on new break ins because the cam gear only gets oiled from an oil hole in the cam through the key way to the gear. They have an auto repair shop so I figure they take care of all of this. After several attempts to get it going he says it's back firing and other issues and he can't get it going. I said check and see if you've killed the cam. Which he had. I said bring the jeep to me. I removed the engine to tear it down and clean everything again. 14 lobes were wiped off some so bad the lifter couldn't be pulled out of the top. They were mushroomed very badly. After a complete rebuild I installed it and broke it in no problems.
The following users liked this post:
leif.anderson93 (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 11:39 AM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Mark and Robert,
Thanks for the additional tips. The Keith Black pistons weren't changed out with this cam swap...no need. The coolant and distilled water have been sitting in the garage here in Dallas (ambient temp around 85*). Big shop fan will be positioned in front of the car on start-up. Going to fill the block before installing the thermostat and thermostat housing and then finish by filling to the halfway mark the surge tank. Later today or tomorrow morning should be the start up time. I'll keep y'all posted.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:18 PM
elwood13
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,078 Posts

Looks like your in for rain Saturday. Hopefully you will get to do some test runs Sunday.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:44 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Originally Posted by elwood13
Looks like your in for rain Saturday. Hopefully you will get to do some test runs Sunday.
For sure...If not, it won't be until the middle of next week, other stuff on the agenda.

Quick Reply: [C2] '67 is the head coming off??