Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page >

Oil pan removal: What else to do while I'm in there?u

Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Oil pan removal: What else to do while I'm in there?u

Old 05-16-2019, 10:06 PM
mardyn
CF Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The pump I ordered already has the pick up tube installed and welded for the stock pan.

I'm just gonna' have to trust that it's correct unless it's contacting the pan when I install it.

I'd think it couldn't be any worse than it was with the sump dented in by 3/4"...

mardyn
Old 05-17-2019, 08:38 AM
HeadsU.P.
CF Senior Member

Received 383 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by mardyn View Post
The pump I ordered already has the pick up tube installed and welded for the stock pan.

I'm just gonna' have to trust that it's correct unless it's contacting the pan when I install it.

I'd think it couldn't be any worse than it was with the sump dented in by 3/4"...

mardyn
I understand your thought on trusting the clearance. But, it only takes a second to hold the pan up into position for a test fit. Then you know for sure, before you prep your gasket.
The following users liked this post:
bmans vette (05-19-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 08:52 AM
Kacyc3
CF Senior Member

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts

Dont forget to try to check out the timing chain see if it is a single or double row.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:03 AM
mardyn
CF Senior Member

Yes, I will do the test fit on the pick up to pan clearance before I do the final install... there's just not much I can do to adjust
it if it's too high or too low...

I looked but can't really see the timing chain... the front cover has it covered up pretty well.

I also was able to procure some plastigauge this morning to check my clearances on bearings...

No real progress will occur today as I'm about to head into DFW to pick up my wife at the airport... likely won't be back home 'til later this afternoon.

mardyn
Old 05-18-2019, 10:04 AM
derekderek
CF Senior Member

Received 628 Likes on 584 Posts

yeah, and when you get back from the airport, she won't wanna hear you are heading to the garage to cheat on her with the fiberglass mistress... you can get a good guesstimate of pick up tube height with a ruler hung down from pan rail. then compare to inside of pan to pan rail. remember gasket thickness.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:44 PM
7T1vette
CF Senior Member

Received 1,058 Likes on 953 Posts

Food for thought: Use the Plasti-Gage checks only for giving yourself confidence that the bearing clearances are in the right 'ballpark'. Plasti-Gage is not a perfect system...not nearly as good as detailed & accurate measurements. But, it is simple and can be used to validate that bearing clearances are not way out of whack. IMO, you can do as well by just looking at the condition of bearings which are in use. But, it can't hurt to check it that way, if you want.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 05-18-2019 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:00 AM
mardyn
CF Senior Member

Update #2:

Had a chance to work on the project for a few hours yesterday beore the storms got here.

Removed & Checked #1 main bearing, bearing is in good condition with only minor wear, no signs of surface degradation
and plastigauge test indicates roughly .002 clearance. That's good enough for me.

Installed the new oil pump & pickup with new driveshaft & mounting stud.

Decided to order a new pan as my original had more damage than just the sump.
While repairable ,In addition to the dented sump, it was bent and creased near the drain plug
and the pan rails/bolts hole were distorted as well... plus it needed paint... New pan was only $53.00, so it was an easy choice.

Still having a problem identifying where my oil leak is coming from... it's around the fuel pump but access is so limited & tight,
I can't really determine the source.... it could be the right front valve cover gasket, but still difficult to see. I may have the remove
the A/C compressor to really see what's gong on there.

Stay tuned... and I appreciate y'all following along and all the great help and comments you've provided.

Oh yeah.... almost forgot... Crank bearings are .010" and timing chain appears to be standard issue (non-roller) replacement.

mardyn

Last edited by mardyn; 05-19-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:12 AM
7T1vette
CF Senior Member

Received 1,058 Likes on 953 Posts

Remove right-front wheel to gain access to the fuel pump....
Old 05-19-2019, 09:13 PM
TimAT
CF Senior Member

Received 296 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette View Post
Remove right-front wheel to gain access to the fuel pump....

Down around the fuel pump, there are limited possible places for oil to leak- The block to the pump plate, the plate to the pump, the 3/8 bolt on the front of the block to lock the pushrod when changing the pump, and the pump itself. I've seen a few (NOT very many) leak a bit of oil from the diaphragm vent.
Next up would be the front of the intake or the rocker cover.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: