Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Champion Motorsports Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 01:14 PM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have been going to Champion for the past 10 years.
ALWAYS been fair and great service from Rob and Pete and the team. They know Vettes like no one else and have track results from their own Vettes and MANY customer's cars to back it up.

Last edited by corrado; 06-12-2019 at 12:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dlynch (06-17-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 02:18 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by corrado
I have been going to Chanpion for the past 10 years.
ALWAYS been fair and great service from Rob and Pete and the team. They know Vettes like no one else and have track results from their own Vettes and MANY customer's cars to back it up.
Maybe fair to YOU but as noted above, $700 for an hour, and $700 for 35 minutes to another customer is anything BUT fair.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:53 AM
SpartaGus
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
Maybe fair to YOU but as noted above, $700 for an hour, and $700 for 35 minutes to another customer is anything BUT fair.

From my understanding the going rate for a tune is anywhere from $700 plus. I would question any shop that charges less. As far as time it doesn’t mater. It could take some cars 10 minutes to tune and some a lot longer. Your still paying that $700. Every time I go to Champion there’s no less than 10 Vettes not including the other high end cars there being serviced or getting upgrades, so they must be doing something right!

Last edited by SpartaGus; 06-09-2019 at 12:54 AM.
corrado (06-11-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 12:13 AM
luffy
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SpartaGus
From my understanding the going rate for a tune is anywhere from $700 plus. I would question any shop that charges less. As far as time it doesn’t mater. It could take some cars 10 minutes to tune and some a lot longer. Your still paying that $700. Every time I go to Champion there’s no less than 10 Vettes not including the other high end cars there being serviced or getting upgrades, so they must be doing something right!
I disagree having had my car tuned there. Yes they can probably address peak power in 10 minutes, but part throttle, idle, driveability needs time to address and are the main issues with modified street cars. I paid $700 and told them I had no time constraints, still was handed a bill after 30 minutes and the tune has continued to have issues.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:01 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by SpartaGus

i agree, have cars in there for tunes, and had a issue one time, took it back and Rob and Kevin looked at it, and resolved the issue. If one doesn t talk to them and give them some kind of feedback, how would they know the car has an issue ? They don t have a crystal ball. Is always busy there, as Spartagus says,, " they must be doing something right". No matter where you go, there is always going to be disgruntled people, look at the guy used to be in Cambridge, everyone thought he was the greatest, second coming. Only met him twice and would have never worked on my car, i didn t trust him the first time he opened his mouth. If one doesn t like the service, go elsewhere, simple as that, and see what you get.
jmo
The following 2 users liked this post by walleyejack:
corrado (06-11-2019), dlynch (06-21-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 08:04 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatnshort
Hey guys. Just my 2 cents about Champion Motorsports in Toronto.
Had heads fixed, BTR cam/tune installed last year by another company. They did a great job but there was surging at low rpm. I specifically got a BTR2 because I read many times that the surging could be tuned out.
So I recently put headers on and thought I would go out to Champion. I asked for first morning call.I specifically told Rob, the owner about the surging issue. Drove 1.5hrs and then waited until 1pm for them to get the car on the dyno. 3 pulls and some tweaking, and a drive around the block w the tuner. Car runs a little better but surging still there.
$700 for just over an hour for little improvement.
I guess I shouldn't complain as the CTSV owner that was also waiting paid $700 for 35 minutes of tuning.
I questioned the owner about the fee and he said it was a "full tune".
You can try AGP in Newmarket, I have heard good things about them.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:05 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

hearsay, is why people make mistakes, do your own research,
AGP is ok, if you want to pay someone else to do it over again and fix their mistakes, Never again for me there.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:41 PM
41zo6
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by walleyejack
hearsay, is why people make mistakes, do your own research,
AGP is ok, if you want to pay someone else to do it over again and fix their mistakes, Never again for me there.
Can you share your story? I had my car tuned at AGP, bolt ons with mild eps cam. Car had to go back due to stalling when pressing the clutch in and letting rpms naturally fall and issue hunting for idle then stalling. In fairness, they were good in spending more time on it, car no longer stalls when pressing in the clutch while cruising but does still hunt for idle and will stall when ac is on. It's frustrating, in the end, I'm not certain if this is going rate for a mild cam car and have been living with it/trying to drive around it. They are rather far for me and couldn't keep going back, but I read I shouldn't have these issues with the cam I have and a proper tune thus less than satisfied. I am considering having the car tuned elsewhere, but would want a commitment the tune is quality with no idling issues.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:50 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 41zo6
Can you share your story? I had my car tuned at AGP, bolt ons with mild eps cam. Car had to go back due to stalling when pressing the clutch in and letting rpms naturally fall and issue hunting for idle then stalling. In fairness, they were good in spending more time on it, car no longer stalls when pressing in the clutch while cruising but does still hunt for idle and will stall when ac is on. It's frustrating, in the end, I'm not certain if this is going rate for a mild cam car and have been living with it/trying to drive around it. They are rather far for me and couldn't keep going back, but I read I shouldn't have these issues with the cam I have and a proper tune thus less than satisfied. I am considering having the car tuned elsewhere, but would want a commitment the tune is quality with no idling issues.
Your car should have no issues like that at all with a mild cam. Apparently it was not tuned properly, twice.
I won t share my issues, because i receive nasty pm s the other day, stating i was "slamming" them on line, well, this is an open forum, and people ask for opinions.. and i stated mine. i had to go elsewhere to get the issue resolved. couldn t keep going back there either.
dlynch (06-21-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 07:55 PM
41zo6
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks walleyejack. I will check around and see who is willing to spend the time to do the tune properly. Champion was on my list, unfortunately they also seem hit or miss so who the heck knows anymore. I won't be throwing more money at another tuner without some sort of agreement the idle will be proper.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:07 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I have had Nick at AGP tune two of my vehicles so far with zero issues. Same goes with many, many friends....

I haven't heard any issues. What went so wrong walleyejack? Last I heard was that you were very happy with Nick and his work' Your comments are very confusing.....
The following 2 users liked this post by 88BlackZ-51:
3Xvette (06-26-2019), Red Devil (06-21-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 03:10 PM
Pompitup
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Your car has two idle settings which is idle with a/c on and idle with a/c off. The idle with a/c on is higher due to the draw on the engine running the a/c compressor and the alternator putting out power to run the cooling fan. Just some info to help you along the way.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:41 PM
ireemun
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is a reason why tuners that know their sheet will do a couple pulls on the street. If you don't, your just guessing. ...
if your guessing wrong your motor aint gonna last too long.

Last edited by ireemun; 06-23-2019 at 11:31 PM.
walleyejack (06-24-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 05:50 AM
3Xvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
I have had Nick at AGP tune two of my vehicles so far with zero issues. Same goes with many, many friends....

I haven't heard any issues. What went so wrong walleyejack? Last I heard was that you were very happy with Nick and his work' Your comments are very confusing.....
I also have had both my cars tuned by Nick at AGP and zero issues,
Old 06-27-2019, 12:33 PM
legalins
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51

I had my Grand Sport tuned by Nick/AGP zero issues after 2 years. Had brakes done, rotors/pads all way round done yesterday and had rear axle/diff. leak fixed. No problem taking my vette to AGP.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:37 PM
97 SC Cobra
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by legalins
I had my Grand Sport tuned by Nick/AGP zero issues after 2 years. Had brakes done, rotors/pads all way round done yesterday and had rear axle/diff. leak fixed. No problem taking my vette to AGP.
Mods? Cam?
Old 06-27-2019, 06:31 PM
legalins
Instructor

Originally Posted by 97 SC Cobra
Mods? Cam?
Stock cam. Bolt on includes long tubes with HF cats, bullet exhaust, Airaid intake, 160 stat.

Get notified of new replies

To Champion Motorsports Feedback

Old 06-27-2019, 06:39 PM
97 SC Cobra
Burning Brakes

Stock cam. Bolt on includes long tubes with HF cats, bullet exhaust, Airaid intake, 160 stat.
Pretty sure the car would have run fine without a tune. Maybe not optimal as far as power but not seeing there being driveability issues with those mods.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:42 PM
legalins
Instructor

Originally Posted by 97 SC Cobra
Pretty sure the car would have run fine without a tune. Maybe not optimal as far as power but not seeing there being driveability issues with those mods.
So what is your point?
Old 06-27-2019, 06:50 PM
97 SC Cobra
Burning Brakes

So what is your point?
Just that it’s not really a testament to tuning ability to tune a bolt on car. It will run fine without a tune. I’m not knocking this guy at all. I know nothing about him or his shop. I’m sure they’ve done heavily modified cars as well. Just that yours isn’t really a good example. That’s my point. 😋
The following 2 users liked this post by 97 SC Cobra:
SpartaGus (06-27-2019), walleyejack (06-27-2019)

Quick Reply: Champion Motorsports Feedback