C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splice Pack Location Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 10:41 PM
saw22
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Splice Pack Location Needed

Where is the location of the splice pack that at least has the grounds for all O2 sensors, the oil level sensor and coming from the fuel pump relay I believe? In the diagrams I'm looking at here (http://search.epnet.com/cookie.asp) (login required), it is labeled "Splice Pack 122". Not sure if that's a standard name or not

Still trying to hunt down why my car won't start, including the fuel pump not running at RUN and it always says "low oil level". I know I also have an O2 sensor that doesn't read well, so this splice pack seems to incorporate all of those things.

I've tried the usual - ground cleaning, ignition switch testing, fuse testing, etc. Been on this problem for a week and finding/inspecting this splice pack seems like a good idea.

Last edited by saw22; 04-15-2008 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Fixed URL
Old 04-15-2008, 10:13 AM
saw22
Instructor

I think I may have found it at Z06Vette.com:

".. located directly below the right side of your engine, under the cylinder head. Its difficult however, once you get underneath, you should see it. It will look like a connector, bolted directly to the engine block"

Does this ring a bell to anyone?
Old 04-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Thats it!

Pull the battery and examine those harnesses in that area. It will be taped to one of the harnesses.

BC
Old 04-16-2008, 07:11 PM
saw22
Instructor

Hmmm.. I'm kind of confused how pulling the battery out would help me see this splice pack, based on the description above.

Referring to this picture....

... I know the starter is grounded on the top of the engine at G106 (with a 14-15 mm bolt) and I also have three eyelets grounded below the battery, at G104, as shown here:

Is SP122 referring to the splice pack taped to the firewall, as shown here? I did find this one, did not mess with it really but I also don't see how this fits the description as being "bolted directly to the engine block".
Old 04-16-2008, 10:01 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by saw22
Where is the location of the splice pack that at least has the grounds for all O2 sensors, the oil level sensor and coming from the fuel pump relay I believe? In the diagrams I'm looking at here (http://search.epnet.com/cookie.asp) (login required), it is labeled "Splice Pack 122". Not sure if that's a standard name or not

Still trying to hunt down why my car won't start, including the fuel pump not running at RUN and it always says "low oil level". I know I also have an O2 sensor that doesn't read well, so this splice pack seems to incorporate all of those things.

I've tried the usual - ground cleaning, ignition switch testing, fuse testing, etc. Been on this problem for a week and finding/inspecting this splice pack seems like a good idea.

Splice Pack 122 is .... according to the Master Electrical Component List ....

Engine Harness, approximately 1 foot (0.3 meter) from breakout for startre solenoid, under the left rear corner of the battery tray, grounded to G104

But the Ground Distribution scematic shows SP122 grounded at G105 .... and that is located "Engine Harness, LH side bottom of engine, ground for SP122.

But seeing that picture tells me ya got some work ahead of you cleaning grounds ....

Good luck,

Old 04-17-2008, 07:05 AM
saw22
Instructor

Thanks for the info. Those pictures weren't mine, thankfully.. haha. I just referenced them from BC's sticky titled "Important Electrical Information".

Funny that you also found conflicting information. From what I found, SP122 is grounded at G105. I compiled the image, below, from two wiring diagrams for a 2002 Z06.

On the subject of G105, I'm starting to wonder if I've mistaken where it is. From the picture below, I assumed it was the chassis side of the grounding strap but from the website linked below (see picture 12), it appears it's actually on the block under the car. If so, I have NEVER cleaned this ground and am very hopeful this ground or the splice pack could be the cause of my problems. Starting to run out of options.

http://pages.infinit.net/vette747/Ground

Old 04-19-2008, 12:05 AM
saw22
Instructor

It's all over now! G105 was the culprit! I thought the diagram meant that the braided ground strap was G105, not under the block! After more and more research, it all made sense and sure enough here was my G105!

I knew it would be faulty after I figured out where to look but never expected the bolt to be GONE! Replaced it, used lock tite, car starts right up with no more codes or anything! So glad to have this 10 day ordeal over with!
Old 04-19-2008, 12:12 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by saw22
It's all over now! G105 was the culprit! I thought the diagram meant that the braided ground strap was G105, not under the block! After more and more research, it all made sense and sure enough here was my G105!

I knew it would be faulty after I figured out where to look but never expected the bolt to be GONE! Replaced it, used lock tite, car starts right up with no more codes or anything! So glad to have this 10 day ordeal over with!

Hey,,,theres suppose to be a 15mm bolt in there! ,,,,, Good job!

Bill
Old 04-19-2008, 12:18 AM
saw22
Instructor

Yep, I was sooo happy to see that. After all the crazy stuff we tried, I knew this was all that was left. Every problem I had related to this ground - fuel pump, oil level, O2 sensor not reading.

What I don't get it how the car did this crap last Fall for a week, we did nothing to fix it besides clean other grounds, it worked fine for 5 months and then started acting up again 10 days ago. Oh well, at least I learned a lot about the car!
Old 10-14-2018, 03:44 PM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 136 Posts

Resurrecting an old thread because my car had the "low oil level" warning as well, and this thread showed me how to fix it... In my case the bolt was still there, it just wasn't tight.

But I have a new question about the same ground...
The 2003 factory service manual shows a ground strap bolted to the block at G105.

Should 2002s have a ground strap bolted to G105 as well? With the other end of the strap connected to the frame rail at G103? (Location #2 in the diagram of the whole car shown in post 6.)

Also, in an effort to make this the most complete G105 thread, I'm attaching an image poached from another thread... You can see the ground strap in this image too.

Last edited by NSFW; 10-14-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:39 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

ALL C5s have ALL the same grounds. YES! You should have a braded strap from 105 to the chassis stud!
Old 10-14-2018, 11:41 PM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 136 Posts

Cool, thanks for confirming.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:19 AM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Hoping the OP found SP122...10 year old thread but here it is...battery tray removed...and un taped from the harness it was on. Well, here it is like the FSM said....rear left corner of the tray. Took it apart and clean as a whistle !!

The following users liked this post:
kentuckybluegrass (11-24-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Splice Pack Location Needed

Quick Reply: Splice Pack Location Needed