Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Clay Bar vs Rubbing compound

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 10:31 PM
lil vette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clay Bar vs Rubbing compound

Which is better & WHY
Old 05-28-2009, 10:38 PM
Spencez28
Instructor

I thought they were 2 different processes. Clay bar removes impuritys from the paint, and rubbing compound evens out the surface of the clear coat. Not totally sure though...
Old 05-28-2009, 10:53 PM
rrichar2591
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 182 Posts

Rubbing compound is a very agressive product mostly to remove oxidized paint etc. It is abrasive and will remove some of the clearcoat or paint. On the other hand a clay bar is used to remove paint imperfections such as overspray, impurities etc. Used properly it will not remove paint or clearcoat. There is a lot of great info in the car care section of the forum that is worth reading. Good luck.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:54 PM
teebee
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 286 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

They are two entirely different processes and accomplish different things. I'd be REAL careful using rubbing compound on your cars, it is very abrasive and can damage your paint in a heartbeat. Clay bar, on the other hand, is relatively safe, as long as you keep it lubricated. As said in the previous reply it is used to remove the impurities on the painted surface. It will increase the clarity of the surface and prep it for wax or polish.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:57 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

DO NOT USE RUBBING COMPOUND ON YOUR CAR UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING
Old 05-28-2009, 11:10 PM
MarkyMarkGTM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with all the others so far. One thing I have to add is that clay will do nothing to remove swirl marks and scratches, it only cleans the surface of contaminants. Buffing on the other hand with either a polish or compound will remove fine scratches and swirls because it is smoothing the paint surface by taking away clear coat.

Really two different steps completely and used to get two very different results. I clay first then follow up with polish/wax.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:09 AM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Car care section will serve you better.

But briefly what are you trying to do?
Old 05-29-2009, 01:31 AM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Simply put,,,Rubbing compound can easily ruin your paint,,clay bar won't(unless you are a total klutz,,and even then won't do much harm)!!Clay bar is a simple and effective prep for a better wax job!!
Old 05-29-2009, 02:16 AM
txFRC
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

take heed to the advice above about not using any abrasive polish unless you know what your doing. and especially if a buffer is used!

just clayed my car tonight. best setup is to wash it with a few drops of Dawn kitchen soap or equivalent to help strip any remaining waxes off. then hit it with the clay and make sure you use a lubricant, either water or detailing spray in COPIOUS amounts.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:41 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by rrichar2591
Rubbing compound is a very agressive product mostly to remove oxidized paint etc. It is abrasive and will remove some of the clearcoat or paint. On the other hand a clay bar is used to remove paint imperfections such as overspray, impurities etc. Used properly it will not remove paint or clearcoat. There is a lot of great info in the car care section of the forum that is worth reading. Good luck.
Originally Posted by teebee
They are two entirely different processes and accomplish different things. I'd be REAL careful using rubbing compound on your cars, it is very abrasive and can damage your paint in a heartbeat. Clay bar, on the other hand, is relatively safe, as long as you keep it lubricated. As said in the previous reply it is used to remove the impurities on the painted surface. It will increase the clarity of the surface and prep it for wax or polish.
I would be very hesitant about using rubbing compound on the car unless you absolutely know exactly what you are doing.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:03 AM
WvCorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 05-29-2009, 10:42 AM
stig-zzz
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

clay baring is a must if your going to machine polish your paint....It removes embedded contamination like rail dust,brake dust, iron partials and others.
A washing will NOT remove embedded impurities
wash
clay
wash again
polish (compound )
protect
machine polishing WITH OUT claying first can lead to marring the $hit out of your clear coat .Just pick up a piece of contamination with your polishing pad and your paint is in for a world of hurt ,I've seen it done and it's not a pretty sight .Many hours will be needed to correct the damage inflicted, and now its far worse then what you started with....

John Stig
Old 05-29-2009, 11:00 AM
mvcrash
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by stig-zzz
clay baring is a must if your going to machine polish your paint....It removes embedded contamination like rail dust,brake dust, iron partials and others.
A washing will NOT remove embedded impurities
wash
clay
wash again
polish (compound )
protect
machine polishing WITH OUT claying first can lead to marring the $hit out of your clear coat .Just pick up a piece of contamination with your polishing pad and your paint is in for a world of hurt ,I've seen it done and it's not a pretty sight .Many hours will be needed to correct the damage inflicted, and now its far worse then what you started with....

John Stig
Don't agree. I never have used clay and have never marred the paint on any car I have ever worked on.
Compound will remove more than clay bar will and if you don't know what your doing you can burn the paint and cause problems that need a professional to fix. I don't subscribe to "particles" embedding in the paint that can be removed with clay but not polish/compound. I don't subscribe to the "HARD" Corvette clear coat that allows brake dust to embed in the paint that clay will magically remover but compound won't.
Suffice to say that if you don't know what your doing, don't use compound.

over
Old 05-29-2009, 01:41 PM
stig-zzz
Drifting

mvcrash you have been very lucky imho a small piece of dust on a hand foam pad applying a wax can swirl your paint.

(I don't subscribe to "particles" embedding in the paint that can be removed with clay but not polish/compound.)
I would like you to place your hand in a plastic sandwich bag and run it over your paint.Feel those bumps thats embedded contamination .Now if your polishing pads pulls one loose what do you think it's going to do to your clear coat.
Must new cars are shipped by train (rail dust)very sharp mettle shavings that get embedded in the clear coat....
I hope your vette is contamination free i for one have never seen one.
Clay pulls the partials out, where a compound grinds the shavings down flush with the clear coat there still there, if the polish formulation is harder then the contamination it will cut it down but not out Not something to gamble with claying is fast and easy and well worth the time.
John Stig
Old 05-29-2009, 01:53 PM
mvcrash
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by stig-zzz
mvcrash you have been very lucky imho a small piece of dust on a hand foam pad applying a wax can swirl your paint.

(I don't subscribe to "particles" embedding in the paint that can be removed with clay but not polish/compound.)
I would like you to place your hand in a plastic sandwich bag and run it over your paint.Feel those bumps thats embedded contamination .Now if your polishing pads pulls one loose what do you think it's going to do to your clear coat.
Must new cars are shipped by train (rail dust)very sharp mettle shavings that get embedded in the clear coat....
I hope your vette is contamination free i for one have never seen one.
Clay pulls the partials out, where a compound grinds the shavings down flush with the clear coat there still there, if the polish formulation is harder then the contamination it will cut it down but not out Not something to gamble with claying is fast and easy and well worth the time.
John Stig
We will agree to disagree on this and that is fine. You can use your plastic baggie on my car anytime and you won't feel anything.

My question remains. How do these little particles "embed" in the so called "hard" clear coat of a car?
Old 05-29-2009, 03:21 PM
RaskyR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clay bar is used to remove ABOVE surface defects, and will not remove any paint. (Sap, tar, bugs, over spray)

Compound is meant to remove BELOW surface defects and does so be remove small amounts of paint around the defect until it is level with the defect. (swirls, scratches, etching)

Rasky
Old 05-29-2009, 03:22 PM
stig-zzz
Drifting

just like a dart in a dartboard a corvettes hard clear coat is relative to other cc coatings that are applied to today's auto's gm uses a urethane coating on c5/c6 that is hard by today's standards. The softer the cc the less it takes to marr the paint .Any flying object(wind driven,moving car,train, thrown dart ect) that is sharp and of a harder material then the urethane coating is ether going to scratch or embed in the paint(just like a dart).Like cutting steel with diamonds the diamond is HARDER then the steel it's the same with car finishes a speck of sand IS HARDER THEN YOUR FINISH
When you say hard clear coat its not a coat of armor it's hard compared to others(Honda,ford, Toyota) and can sustain more punishmentwitch in turn makes paint correction more difficult to do but NOT IMPENETRABLE
(You can use your plastic baggie on my car anytime and you won't feel anything)
now that's wishful thinking we agree to disagree you would be amazed at what i could pull out of your paint

Get notified of new replies

To Clay Bar vs Rubbing compound

Old 05-29-2009, 03:32 PM
RaskyR1
Racer

Originally Posted by mvcrash
Don't agree. I never have used clay and have never marred the paint on any car I have ever worked on.
Compound will remove more than clay bar will and if you don't know what your doing you can burn the paint and cause problems that need a professional to fix. I don't subscribe to "particles" embedding in the paint that can be removed with clay but not polish/compound. I don't subscribe to the "HARD" Corvette clear coat that allows brake dust to embed in the paint that clay will magically remover but compound won't.
Suffice to say that if you don't know what your doing, don't use compound.

over
Clay will remove bonded surface defects better than compound. Compounds and polishes will remove most of the above defects, but you will find that they are not as effective as clay...they are both designed to different things after all. Often the compounds and polishes will just smooth or round off the bonded contaminets and not actually remove them from the paint like the clay bar.

Cheers,
Rasky
Old 05-29-2009, 09:46 PM
lil vette
Melting Slicks

mmmmmmmmmmmmm.........We'll I gues that cleared everything up.
Still in the dark, but it cleared everything up. I don't have compound, but I did buy some rubbing polish. I want the $1500.00 wax job, for the price of polish compound. I guess it's not that simple.

Last edited by lil vette; 05-29-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:09 AM
RaskyR1
Racer

Originally Posted by lil vette
mmmmmmmmmmmmm.........We'll I gues that cleared everything up.
Still in the dark, but it cleared everything up. I don't have compound, but I did buy some rubbing polish. I want the $1500.00 wax job, for the price of polish compound. I guess it's not that simple.
PM me if you want some help on claying, polishing or any other detailing related question.

Quick Reply: Clay Bar vs Rubbing compound