Sponsored by:

Upper Dash Pad Replacement- New Skin or New Pad

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 11:01 PM
RobRace10
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Upper Dash Pad Replacement- New Skin or New Pad

So I was working on installing the drivers side dash in my 69 restoration and I had a perfect original upper dash. When I grabbed it to test fit with the drivers side dash I dropped it and wouldn't you know put a big crack in the center. So do I buy a new replacement from Willcox for $300. or a dash pad skin / shield from Zip for $140. that glues on over the original.

Anybody try the replacement skins / shields?

Old 01-06-2010, 11:14 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

take it to an upholstry shop and have them toss some new thin padding and vinyl on it. i redid mine for about 40bucks myself
Old 01-06-2010, 11:29 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Okay...here's my take on this one. A 'new' dash is "recently produced" but may not be a quality part or fit particularly well...and it costs a ton of money. If you re-skin the dash, one of the first things you will have to do is fill that crack so that it will not leave its impression in the new vinyl skin. Sooooo...why don't you do the best job you can of using some flexible body putty [ie, Bondo, etc] to fill that crack and to add some graining marks into the surface to see how good you can make it look? If you are careful and relatively successful, you might just be able to shoot it with some vinyl dye and use the same dash pad. But, if the finished product doesn't 'cut it' for you, the new skin can still be applied {it's patched already!} and you know that the result will be pretty much like new.

The dash pad is one of the few interior panels that can be successfully re-skinned by most folks...because it has a relatively regular shape without any 'peaks and valleys'. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:32 AM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

i tried to fill the cracks in mine, the issue is that the vinyl is old and brittle. i suggested adding a thin padding on the top so you wouldnt have to mess with the cracks. its the easiest and probably best way to make a new dash. I even tried using packaging tape/duct tape over the crack and just use vinyl, but you could still see it.

some newer pics of mine that i redid..only issue is the doglegs in the corners...that detail was hard to make look decent

Old 01-07-2010, 01:42 AM
RobRace10
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Okay...here's my take on this one. A 'new' dash is "recently produced" but may not be a quality part or fit particularly well...and it costs a ton of money. If you re-skin the dash, one of the first things you will have to do is fill that crack so that it will not leave its impression in the new vinyl skin. Sooooo...why don't you do the best job you can of using some flexible body putty [ie, Bondo, etc] to fill that crack and to add some graining marks into the surface to see how good you can make it look? If you are careful and relatively successful, you might just be able to shoot it with some vinyl dye and use the same dash pad. But, if the finished product doesn't 'cut it' for you, the new skin can still be applied {it's patched already!} and you know that the result will be pretty much like new.

The dash pad is one of the few interior panels that can be successfully re-skinned by most folks...because it has a relatively regular shape without any 'peaks and valleys'. Good luck.
I can probably super glue the crack back to line up without any dips etc, but I know it will still show some and the dash is 40 years old, so most likely will crack again from some unexpected event. I can get a new cap for $62. delivered, and my original should be nice and smooth for it. Just want to confirm these look good, otherwise I will check what my local upholstery shop will do or a new dash from Willcox.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:12 AM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

I put a new dash pad in my 69. It fit like a glove. Quality was fine for judging.

I have a nice black pad with McClellan and Zora's signature. I took it out before I sold the car. Pricey but I'd consider selling it.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:24 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

There is a lot of difference between a "dash cap" and "re-skinning" the dash. The dash cap adds some height to the existing dash; and that's OK if you don't mind that difference. Re-skinning the dash means that your existing dash pad is kept, but a new 'skin' of thin vinyl is glued to the top of it so that it looks just like a new dash pad. To re-skin it [properly], you would have remove the dash pad so that you can work on it easily. The dash "cap" is much easier to install, but changes the interior appearance a bit.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:36 AM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Caps look like ****.

With the money and time you've invested, you will not be happy with the cap.
Get it recovered professionally or buy another dash.
Don't waste your money on a cap. You'll kick yourself after.

I bought one of the $80 plastic caps for mine and was disgusted with the fit and finish. Ended up buying a new dash.

I'd buy one of those carpet dash covers before I spent a dime on a cap.

Trust me.

Last edited by blckslvr79; 01-07-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:38 AM
RobRace10
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by blckslvr79
Caps look like ****.

Get it recoverd professionally or buy another dash.

I bought one of the $80 plastic caps for mine and was disgusted with the fit and finish. Ended up buying a new dash.

Trust me.
That is what I wanted to know, I don't mind spending money on the right parts, but hate wasting it on stuff that won't be right.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:50 AM
08vycpe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been making and replacing vinyl things on my boat. I received some samples of vinyl from on line sellers that is designed to stretch and has some backing as well so it has a little (just a little) thickness to it. Cracks in the parent material will not show through it and because it stretches you can get a really go fit. You can get a great selection of gloss, grain, color, material, backing, thickness, etc. to meet your needs. My thought was to spray the top with adhesive, stretch over the backed vinyl sticking it down and stretching it over the corners. It seems like this would work very well but I haven't tried it.

A yard of material is enough to cover an upper dash pad easily and only cost $15.00.

onaqwst: If you used some contact adhesive and a heat gun you can get rid of the bunching in the corners with this stretchy material.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by RobRace10
My '68's pad looks almost exactly like that with the crack in almost the same place.

I've learned to live with it.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:53 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

If you recover it with the cloth-backed vinyl you get in fabric stores, the crack will not show thru. If you buy the [thin] vinyl skin...made for recovering the dash pad...it will show thru. Fill and smooth the crack on your pad if you choose to use the thin stuff.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:12 PM
427basketcase
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I recovered mine with the "Skin", when I went to try to fill the crack, I discovered that I could peel the old cover off. It took about an hour, but I managed to remove all of the old cover. The crack in mine was old and a small valley was still there, I cleaned as much of the old foam out as I could and shot some "Great Stuff" (home insulation filler) after that cured I used a razor blade to get the correct shape back.
Next I test fitted the skin, made a few adjustments, sprayed the entire surface with 3M contact cement and covered it. I used a heat gun to shrink and form it to the foam.
Here it is, I don't have a better pic right now, but it turned out better than I expected
Old 01-07-2010, 04:14 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by blckslvr79
Caps look like ****.

With the money and time you've invested, you will not be happy with the cap.
Get it recovered professionally or buy another dash.

Trust me.
If you have come this far, don't put a cap on it.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:46 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Personally, I would not advise removing the original skin. That surface is 'true' to the original part...except for the damaged areas. Just trim back any ragged edges, fill any gaps with Bondo (then sand smooth), clean the surface well so it will hold the glue, then put the new skin over it. Much easier than trying to create a new surface.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:00 PM
jakemyrick
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 upper dash pads

I just bought a 93 Vet and I would like to replace the upper dash pad. can someone recommend where I can get it
Old 05-23-2019, 09:16 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Probably a better question to ask the C4 guys
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-1984-1996-19/
M
Old 05-24-2019, 05:49 AM
mdeslyper
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a cap on mine. It looked terrible (warped from sun). I removed it.

Get notified of new replies

To Upper Dash Pad Replacement- New Skin or New Pad

Quick Reply: Upper Dash Pad Replacement- New Skin or New Pad