Sponsored by:

Windshield Washer Reservoir Tank Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 07:20 PM
pbbergs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Washer Reservoir Tank Removal

I have a 79, that I am attempting to remove the Windshield Washer Reservoir tank from but I don't see a way to get it out without a lot of work.

Does anyone know if there is a way to take this out easily?

Thx

paul
Old 03-29-2010, 07:35 PM
RaymondD
Instructor

If you go from the top you would have to remove the brake booster. The easier way is from the bottom remove the panel behind the wheel. 2 bolts from the wheel well and 2 from behind the rocker panel trim. You'll have to remove the trim also. Then remove the gas vapor canister and there is plenty of room to get the windshield washer jar out.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Carlos840
Racer

I dont know why your trying to remove it but i managed to change the water pump inside it without taking it out, i think if that is your goal it is an easier option than taking the master cylinder off!
It wasnt fun, took 2 people, but is doable...
Old 03-29-2010, 09:01 PM
pbbergs
Instructor

Default Leak

Well I can't find a leak. I'm going to try and go underneath and see if I can find the leak. Maybe it is just some of the hoses.

Thx

Paul
Old 03-29-2010, 09:13 PM
Mia
Burning Brakes

The leak is in the neck where it meets the reservoir. The tank and neck are two parts. You don't need to remove the master cylinder, or the rockers. It can be done with some patience and masking or duct tape on the tools. Believe me. Had to pull mine to find that "leak" and to replace the washer motor, which is harder to tackle than remove and reinstalling the tank and neck. Silicone on the neck where it meets the reservoir will solve the leak problem. BTW, mine is a 79 too. Good luck.

I should also mention, like a previous poster, I did not pull the reservoir, I pulled the neck, installed the pump and then reinstalled the neck.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:45 AM
Carlos840
Racer

Originally Posted by Mia
The leak is in the neck where it meets the reservoir. The tank and neck are two parts. You don't need to remove the master cylinder, or the rockers. It can be done with some patience and masking or duct tape on the tools. Believe me. Had to pull mine to find that "leak" and to replace the washer motor, which is harder to tackle than remove and reinstalling the tank and neck. Silicone on the neck where it meets the reservoir will solve the leak problem. BTW, mine is a 79 too. Good luck.

I should also mention, like a previous poster, I did not pull the reservoir, I pulled the neck, installed the pump and then reinstalled the neck.
+1

If you overfill the tank past the neck/tank intrersection it will leak...

Thats also the way i changed my pump, remove the neck, take of the screws holding the tank so you can move it around and flip it over but leave it in.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:13 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 431 Likes on 309 Posts

On my 79, I replaced mine with a new one as the old one was yellow. I got at it from underneath just as RaymondD said. It wasn't that hard. If you do wind up taking yours out, just remember to leak test it before reinstalling.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:30 PM
Rowarrior
Instructor

Thats also the way i changed my pump, remove the neck, take of the screws holding the tank so you can move it around and flip it over but leave it in.[/QUOTE]

So, all C3's reservoir neck leaked? mine does, but I was wondering if it was like that from new or maybe an o-ring corroded?
Old 06-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rowarrior

Thats also the way i changed my pump, remove the neck, take of the screws holding the tank so you can move it around and flip it over but leave it in.
So, all C3's reservoir neck leaked? mine does, but I was wondering if it was like that from new or maybe an o-ring corroded?

I think they all just leak.
I've kinda given up on it. I just don't fill it to the neck.
I fill below the neck.
Also the new pump I have stopped working, so screw it.
The best course of action is to just not get the windshield dirty.
I've taken the same approach with my MG which suffers the same problems, though the pump is SUPER easy to get to.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Carlos840
Racer

Originally Posted by Mia
I think they all just leak.
I've kinda given up on it. I just don't fill it to the neck.
I fill below the neck.
Also the new pump I have stopped working, so screw it.
The best course of action is to just not get the windshield dirty.
I've taken the same approach with my MG which suffers the same problems, though the pump is SUPER easy to get to.
+1 to all this,

The tank is in two parts and will leak if you go over the level of the first part!

The best way IMO to change the pump is to take the top half of the tank out, leave the bottom in.
Take a ratchet with a long extension and unscrew the pump, take it out, put the new one in, duct tape the nut to the ratchet and put it back in!
Old 06-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Carlos840
+1 to all this,

The tank is in two parts and will leak if you go over the level of the first part!

The best way IMO to change the pump is to take the top half of the tank out, leave the bottom in.
Take a ratchet with a long extension and unscrew the pump, take it out, put the new one in, duct tape the nut to the ratchet and put it back in!
And that is exactly how I did it. Works like a charm.
Just be PATIENT.

It's like playing that class kids game; "OPERATION".
Old 04-30-2024, 04:00 AM
rtjsusa
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi, not sure if anyone still reads this string, but I'll give it a try. On my '78 someone cut the hose from the bottom of the reservoir and put in a new piece that just sits loose from the top of the reservoir to the junction where it splits to the two winbdshield washers. As far as i can tell this bypasses the pump at the bottom of the reservoir all together but it does seem to work? Anyone can explain? I must be mising something. I may just get a different lid for the reservoir or simply enlarge the vent hole and feed the tube through it , rather then trying to fix a pump that apparently doesn't need fixing?

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield Washer Reservoir Tank Removal

Quick Reply: Windshield Washer Reservoir Tank Removal