C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Grand Sport Bliss

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 187 Likes on 71 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Default Grand Sport Bliss

Finished the registration of my Mongoose Grand Sport Friday. It took all of 15 minutes at a sub courthouse. The car is registered as a 1963 model year Mongoose Grand Sport. It is considered a “manufactured” replica, and therefore the registration year model is dated as the year it replicates (1963).
On the other hand, component cars must be registered as the year they are completed.
I paid the state sales tax for the amount I spent with Mongoose, submitted the Mongoose manufacturer’s certificate, as well as proof of insurance, and the whole process was remarkably easy. Registration was $55.00 and I paid an additional $15.00 for “Classic” license plates.

The weather has finally cooled off a bit here in Cowtown, so after working on the house Saturday morning, I took my best friend to Kincaid’s for our usual Saturday afternoon hamburger. He’d never ridden in the car before, so the trip was a memorable one. The car just performs flawlessly, and since I recently made a shifter-spacer (to place the shifter exactly where my hand wants it), driving it just couldn’t be more fun.

Later I decided that I needed to mail a couple letters (great excuse for another drive), and on the way home I saw a good friend’s supercharged 2010 Challenger sitting in the parking lot of his high-end electronics store….so I stopped in. The Challenger is just one of many cars (Vipers, V8 Cadillac’s, Corvettes, Ford GT’s, etc) that he owns, so I figured he’s appreciate the GS.
He’d seen a GS in action once in the 60’s, so he was aware of what had been replicated, but what really put a smile on my face were his numerous comments on how well the car was built and detailed. I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t end up buying one too.
After 30-minutes of bench racing, one of his buddies pulls in driving his new white Lamborghini Gillardo. I’d never seen a Gillardo in person, so this was really exciting. I’m checking out his car while he’s checking out the GS.
Our two white cars, separated by two spaces, are the only cars in the parking lot. It was old and new super-cars, side by side.
After another 30-minutes of talking about our cars, a blond drives up in a new Acura sedan. She asks if she can come look at the cars. Of course, we say “yes”, and as she walks up, she never even glances at the Lamborghini. She walks around the GS, asking lots of questions, and regardless of the fact that we’re pointing out features of the Lambo, she acts like it’s not even there.
I’ve never felt so sorry for anyone in my life, but the Lambo owner says that he understands completely. “Anyone can buy one of these” pointing at his car, “but you can’t just go out and buy something like this Grand Sport”.
The store was shutting down, so we all headed home for the evening.

To me, the GS is the coolest car in the world, but I was completely floored that a woman would be nuts over it too, especially with one of the world’s most beautiful super cars just a couple feet away.
As you may well imagine, I’ve had a ****-eaten grin on my face ever since…..
Old 10-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Pictures of the blond>?????
Old 10-03-2010, 11:54 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by kerrmudgeon
Pictures of the blond>?????
Or just tell us what actress or celebrity she resembled!
Old 10-04-2010, 12:11 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

OK, at least can we see the car out in public.....?
Old 10-04-2010, 08:56 AM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I spent yesterday cleaning it up. There was a lot of rubber dust that had collected on the rear of the car......
http://www.theoldone.com/grandsport/article/LSideF1.jpg

Last edited by Mr. Wizzard; 10-04-2010 at 09:01 AM. Reason: picture
The following users liked this post:
Dave64 (01-20-2019)
Old 10-04-2010, 09:17 AM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Great looking vette
Old 10-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

Just too Cool.

Mark.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:01 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

I love it!!!! Cool story too.
The following users liked this post:
71/502 (05-08-2022)
Old 10-04-2010, 03:50 PM
1963GrayGray
Pro

Received 177 Likes on 70 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
C1 of Year Winner (stock) 2019

Default Gs

I love the stance. I find that most GS Corvettes sit several inches too high. I'm not sure of the reason for this, but you got the ride height just right. (In my Opinion)

Dave
Old 10-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks guys! I still have so many things I want to fabricate for the car that it'll be a work in progress until I finally kick the bucket, but right now, just driving it is a real thrill.
My (94 year old Dad) "wakes up" from his dementia when ever he's sitting in it, or riding with me. The car has been a life-long dream for both of us.
He and I spent the day Sunday cleaning it inside and out. I think it's the first time I've actually enjoyed cleaning one of my cars!
I'll keep all of you posted as the project continues. Next up are some lightweight chassis seat mounting brackets and the tubular front control arms to narrow the tread-width a couple inches.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:15 PM
grandsport4me1963
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very nice. Thanks for sharing Mr. Wizzard.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:51 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Your GS is stunning Larry, congratulations on building your dream and it is really cool that you get to enjoy it with your dad. I am really hoping to get the chance to see it in person some day.

Jeff
Old 10-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I have an "emergency" meeting up in Detroit Thursday, but I have a full weekend planned for the car when I return Friday.
The weather here is looking good, so there should be a lot of us smiling by the end of the day Sunday. This thing's making my old bones feel young again!
Old 10-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Recieved my plates and title in the mail this last week. We've also begun work on some new rear suspension control arms. If I push the car hard, the cam-adjustments for the rear camber will move a bit. We've done some adjustable bars with poly-bushed ends that are fully adjustable to solve the problem.
We're also installing some hiem-jointed links for reat toe adjustment.

I have a set of new C4 upper and lower control arms for the front suspension on the way as well. I plan to digitize them and machine some fixtures that will allow me to fabricate some that are 1.25" shorter (from inner pivot to ball joint), which will allow me to decrease the fron t tread width slightly to get more tire under the fender flares....for a look that's closer the original cars'.

Found a business near ours that does nothing except alignment on race cars. Driove the car over Friday and put it on their machine. We were able to get the rear right on the money...which was a little better than my original string alignment.
I had made a good selection of 7075 aluminum shims for the front (steel would add too much weight!), and now the front is right on the money.
The car handled well before, but now it's even better. With the moderate weather we're currently experiencing, I just want to drive the car everywhere. It's become extremely addictive.

Tomorrow I have a classic car appraiser coming to verify the car's value for the insurance company. It's a formality that State Farm has asked for....

Now it's time to take dad out for a cruise. Cowboy game starts soon, so traffic should be light here in Cowtown..............

Larry
Old 10-17-2010, 07:32 PM
keystonefarm
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 77 Posts

Larry what does your car weight ? ------------Ken McCorry
Old 10-17-2010, 08:10 PM
ktchir
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great looking car
Old 10-18-2010, 06:47 AM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

When we scaled it last Friday it came in it 2187 with a half tank of gas.

Thanks ktchir. We're all very pleased with the way the car has come out. It's taken a lot of hard work on everyone's part.

Larry

Get notified of new replies

To Grand Sport Bliss

Old 10-18-2010, 11:35 PM
keystonefarm
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 77 Posts

2187 !!!! Wow thats light. Enjoy the trips with your Dad !!!! It's great that you can share the car and the memories with him. ------------ Ken
Old 10-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Took him to Colonial Country Club last Sunday afternoon for an afternoon sandwich. He was one of the first members of the club, but he hadn't been there in a couple years.
All of his old buddies were really impressed with the car and he bragged about it all afternoon. He had a great time and we'll do it again soon.
A very wealthy member proclaiming to be a corvette "expert" told us that Chevrolet never made a car like the GS. I told him he apparently wasn't the expert he thinks he is because there were five of them.

We had a great afternoon.....and when I took Dad home, Mother was pissed like hell over our "adventure". Since she gets in a bad mood whenever the men have fun, we knew we "did good!"

Larry
Old 10-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Sam Kalmuk
Burning Brakes

Received 186 Likes on 76 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Grand Sport

Congratulations Larry.... a great lookin' GS as well as handling on the road. It was meant to be driven...Sam

Quick Reply: Grand Sport Bliss