Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Finally damaged my chin spoiler / front valance..

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 12:56 AM
FAsnakes
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Finally damaged my chin spoiler / front valance..

Just happened an hour ago.. I pressed up on a curb!

One of the metal bracket retainers punched through the bumper and I think a small area under the bumper is cracked..

The chin spoiler looks fine.

If you can picture this - the screw was displaced out of it's hole and is now sitting on the bumper causing a gap between the spoiler and the bumper.. Any suggestions on sorting this out?

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2011, 01:15 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

I feel your pain. I just did this (yet again) to my own car this afternoon (the same way.) Grrrr.

You need to take things apart and see just what damage you have done.

Get the car up a few inches (I drive mine up on a couple of stacked 2"x12" boards which gets things high enough for this purpose) and unfasten the splitter from the fascia. This is a straight forward process. If the damage is small you can often just slip the existing clip back in place and screw things back together again.

If the valence is torn them you have to get more clever. My solution has been small butterfly bolts as they can span the torn hole and let you pull the splitter up tight again. The obvious downside is that you now can *really* damage the fascia if you wach the splitter hard enough the next time. Be careful not to lose the butterfly in the fascia if you do this.

My normal mode in parking the car is to back it into a parking place that has curbs. I have a much better sense of where the back of the car is than I do the front. I didn't follow that rule today and paid the price. This is reason #1 why there is no carbon fiber or fiberglass splitter on my car

Tomorrow I'll be back under there fixing it. Fortunately I have a spare, brand new splitter waiting in the garage (#4 I believe) along with a baggie of new clips and screws.

Search the forum as there are other solutions that folks have described that don't pop into my head at the moment.

Z//
Old 12-28-2011, 01:38 AM
CIPSZO6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got to replace mine too... 8 foot ladder in number 3 lane on Hwy 580 in Norcal. California Hwys are a joke for trash and pot holes...
Old 12-28-2011, 02:05 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CIPSZO6
I've got to replace mine too... 8 foot ladder in number 3 lane on Hwy 580 in Norcal. California Hwys are a joke for trash and pot holes...
Was the ladder a fiberglass Werner, as would've taken that baby home. The mentioned drywall toggle nut will work, and some here have slipped in a piece of drilled/tapped flat steel. Long as the bumper is mostly intact, you should be fine with these simple solutions.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:07 AM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Would like to see the picture of the gap you mention.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:40 PM
FAsnakes
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks guys,

I think i tore the fiberglass (which is what i'm most worried about).
+1 on the CF splitter - i was actually considering picking one up next week..
Not gonna happen now..

I'll get a couple pics up in a few.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Tsar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to be installing the Katech fascia reinforcement (same as the GM just stronger and cheaper). It's the same design as on the ZR1. The previous owner pulled the center hole out of the fascia and now the nutplate for the mounting screw doesn't work properly. I understand the reinforcement will sandwich the fascia between the splitter and provide a new mounting for the nutplate(s). It will also be there if you one day decide to go with a ZR1 style splitter and wont allow your fascia lower lip to drop at speed.
The following users liked this post:
marcoturbo (11-05-2021)
Old 12-28-2011, 06:18 PM
daothoj
Intermediate

Are there any photos of how to install the katech fascia reinforcement? Just wondering. Not trying to thread jack.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:36 PM
flyloeZ06
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep. Been there too. Just got through repairing mine. Mine also tore out a chunk of the valence when it pulled the screw out. Don't know why they don't make it where the screw tears through the plastic splitter rather than the valence. That would be a lot cheaper and easier to repair/replace. The valence also had a crack radiating out from the torn out piece too.

I took a large steel washer, flattened one side out so that the retainer clip would fit into the washer hole and glued it into place in the valence, covering all torn out area and the crack. Put the clip on it and screwed the splitter back into place. Pulled it up nice and tight.

Wish they designed the valence where the screw and clip would not tear out of the valence, but the splitter instead.

I think some one else on the forum used a piece of metal that ran the length of the valence to beef it up against that from happening.

Good luck.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:40 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by daothoj
Are there any photos of how to install the katech fascia reinforcement? Just wondering. Not trying to thread jack.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ll-how-to.html

Z//
Old 12-28-2011, 06:52 PM
daothoj
Intermediate

Thanks Zoxxo
Old 12-28-2011, 07:13 PM
sengli
Instructor

I feel your pain. When a car only sits 4 inches off the ground and the front wheels are so far back from the nose, it doesn't take much to crunch the chin spoiler on anything! I would never spend $1000 for a carbon fibre version, after having this same thing happen to me too.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:20 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sengli
I feel your pain. When a car only sits 4 inches off the ground and the front wheels are so far back from the nose, it doesn't take much to crunch the chin spoiler on anything! I would never spend $1000 for a carbon fibre version, after having this same thing happen to me too.
That's why I don't have a ZR1 splitter.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:39 PM
searchforgradsport
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does anybody know the size of the clips / bolts that hold it on? i'm replacing mine on my gs this weekend
Old 10-17-2017, 01:15 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by searchforgradsport
does anybody know the size of the clips / bolts that hold it on? i'm replacing mine on my gs this weekend
Are you talking about the bolts that secure the OEM front splitter to the bumper? If so, these are what you need:

https://www.cultragfactoryparts.com/...PWxheWVyXzY%3D

Spoke with Gene before ordering a few replacement bolts/screws myself and this is the PN he provided.

Last edited by Frankie15; 10-17-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:42 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

It can't be worst than mine was before after I fixed it added some nose action....
Old 10-18-2017, 08:37 AM
searchforgradsport
Advanced

ouch! mine is just a little marked up no real damage, just wanted to change it thanks for your help! NICE CAR!

Get notified of new replies

To Finally damaged my chin spoiler / front valance..

Old 10-18-2017, 08:37 AM
searchforgradsport
Advanced

Originally Posted by Frankie15
Are you talking about the bolts that secure the OEM front splitter to the bumper? If so, these are what you need:

https://www.cultragfactoryparts.com/...PWxheWVyXzY%3D

Spoke with Gene before ordering a few replacement bolts/screws myself and this is the PN he provided.
thanks a lot much appreciated
Old 10-18-2017, 11:11 AM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 641 Likes on 401 Posts

Our ZR1 style mounts to the frame rather than the bumper.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:55 PM
r2boxers
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ruined 3 front splitters. Got to be an expensive endeavor. Invested in a curb alert and have not even gotten close to a curb. Warns me with a buzz when I am 18" away. Cheap insurance. You can hardly see the eye where it is mounted.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Finally damaged my chin spoiler / front valance..