C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What I Did With My Classic Corvette Today....

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 03:46 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default What I Did With My Classic Corvette Today....

thought i would start a new thread for idle chat about the way we treat our cars
i have seen this on other forums and think it's a good way to vent or just chat about maintenance issues or whatever...so here goes...

today i am setting mine on stands to pull the wheels and detail the inner fenders and change the leaking steering ram, got all winter for this so maybe before i start, i'll pop a top too!........

Popular Reply

09-04-2017, 07:50 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Beautiful day for a ride. My Pops always loved going for rides. Especially in one of the old Corvettes. Thinking of you always But especially today. RIP Pops 9/4/16

Old 01-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default A little chit chat

Originally Posted by midyearvette
thought i would start a new thread for idle chat about the way we treat our cars
i have seen this on other forums and think it's a good way to vent or just chat about maintenance issues or whatever...so here goes...

today i am setting mine on stands to pull the wheels and detail the inner fenders and change the leaking steering ram, got all winter for this so maybe before i start, i'll pop a top too!........
Hi Frank,

I think I treat my car better then myself sometimes.

Its about time you did some work in your own car. I have mine up to fix all the little things that I have not gotten to because I can't stop driving.

Car still runs sweet, it was hard to jack it up and take off steering wheel. But it was the only way to stop me from driving.

Finally cleaning the dust out of the cluster from the paint job. Tempted to remove the steering box, (only part not rebuilt) , I don't want to take the pitman arm off the PS valve, so I am looking for a big socket to fit the nut on the box and arm. I can then pull the arm off the box. the rest is easy , since I have the wheel shaft and buckle off to pull wheel for cluster cleaning.

No snow on the roads and I am dying to put it together ,but......

Give my best to Kathy and Jim and Dennis

Jack

Opps I guess I took too much apart !!!!!!!!

Too much Sky should have stayed with scotch

There that's better only took a few hours in my spare time

Old 01-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Since the engine is out of mine and I'm just getting over bronchitis, not much happening other than planning. Saw the old thread about flat tires and made a list for a flat tire repair kit. I have the S-10 spare, but will add a Dynaplug kit, board for under the jack and gloves. More next week. Dennis
Old 01-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Lable it

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
Since the engine is out of mine and I'm just getting over bronchitis, not much happening other than planning. Saw the old thread about flat tires and made a list for a flat tire repair kit. I have the S-10 spare, but will add a Dynaplug kit, board for under the jack and gloves. More next week. Dennis
Don't forget to label it and have the instructions handy. It's tough not to be able to go to the garage and just jump in the car and go.

I guess you can just jump in the car

back to the Mecum tv auction

Jack
Old 01-25-2012, 04:55 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

My Noland Adams guide just arrived so I think I'll get back to you tomorrow!

Don
Old 01-25-2012, 05:27 PM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Thank God Frank, I thought you were going to do something weird like install an automatic in that stunning 4 sp BB. Time to twist a cap
Old 01-25-2012, 06:15 PM
Lou64
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am still scraping adhesive off the floor pans to prepare the surface for Lizard Skin. I am pretty high right now from the 3M adhesive remover.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:03 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 616 Likes on 359 Posts

Removed the engine and dash wiring harness. dash harness was totally butchered for new gauges and had 3 burn marks on the harness from things not plugged in and left hanging.
Arizona dust!! Man can I tell you a few things about Arizona dust. Its everywhere, took us 5 hours to clean everything behind the dash and get ready for touch up painting.
Removed the fan and blower motor to make way for the AC

Still looking for a 4Speed O/D automatic to replace the Muncie 4 speed, so far no luck.

Fitting brackets on the redone engine now. But would really really like to find a good fuel saver 4Speed Auto. Were moving across the country in the spring and would hate to have to pull the engine again.

This weekend is pull the Steering box and spray the engine compartment. Then when done fit the Borgeson PS unit.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:18 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Just came in from the garage. They are both still there, soooooo, so far I am good..........
Old 01-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TC233
Removed the engine and dash wiring harness. dash harness was totally butchered for new gauges and had 3 burn marks on the harness from things not plugged in and left hanging.
Arizona dust!! Man can I tell you a few things about Arizona dust. Its everywhere, took us 5 hours to clean everything behind the dash and get ready for touch up painting.

Still looking for a 4Speed O/D automatic to replace the Muncie 4 speed, so far no luck.

Fitting brackets on the redone engine now. But would really really like to find a good fuel saver 4Speed Auto. Were moving across the country in the spring and would hate to have to pull the engine again.

This weekend is pull the Steering box and spray the engine compartment. Then when done fit the Borgeson PS unit.
Hi Tom

What size nut on pitman arm , I am removing box also.

Fuel saver Auto? does it have overdrive?

jack

Last edited by Jackfit; 01-25-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:19 PM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

This weekend I will be doing a complete 4 wheel brake job. All new drums and shoes all around, wheel cylinders, and lines too.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:09 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackfit

What size nut on pitman arm

jack
The pitman arm nut takes a 1-5/16" socket.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:58 PM
Rokndad
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TC233

Dennis gets my vote for most ambitious. He even has his lovely wife out there scraping and cleaning right alongside him. You rock Dennis.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:45 AM
duke64c2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what i did today! Wasn't sharp enough to reset date.

Last edited by duke64c2; 01-26-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:02 AM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 250 Posts

It's been raining so I bought one of these while I wait for it to clear up:

Old 01-26-2012, 11:10 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default What I did with my Corvette today....

Old 01-26-2012, 01:57 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

Right now mine is sitting with the left header unbolted as I've been testing Header Power Bracket fit. When the new finned spacer comes back from polish (probably tomorrow), then is painted in the fin area, it will go back on the car.

I also have the carb off as I was cleaning it out, doing some "smoothing" of the venturies and inlet perimeter with fine sandpaper, changed the jetting and squirters, and am looking for a Mr. Gasket 1/4" open square bore gasket (all on backorder). I also have a new fuel pressure gauge to replace the exisiting one (that sticks) as soon as I get the carb remounted.

When that's all done, I'll do an oil change, going back to synthetic, new brake fluid, maybe some new front brake pads.

I also want to further raise the floor from sagging on the crossmember to try to reduce squeek from the TKO-600 in the tunnel. I have the Keisler shims in place and want to add a thin layer of cork (1/8") along the entire crossmember, as well as on the shims, to raise the tunnel a bit more and hopefully reduce the squeek.

This is done by putting the car on the lift, and using a floor jack and a couple pieces of wood to raise the fiberglass just behind the crossmember so you can slide this stuff in between the frame and the glass.

Then I want to move on to doing the headlight/relay conversion that I started putting together by housing the relays in the unused voltage regulator casing.

Just a couple things.

Get notified of new replies

To What I Did With My Classic Corvette Today....

Old 01-26-2012, 02:06 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

I'm waiting for a new clutch setup from Luk for my 60. The previous Luk pressure plate was assembled incorrectly from the factory. Unfortunately, they are back ordered. While I'm waiting, I built some 3.70 gears with an Eaton posi and replaced the 4.11's that were in the car. Also replaced the rear wheel bearings and replaced the synchro's in the T-10.
When the weather warms, the 65 gets paint.

Jim
Old 01-26-2012, 02:08 PM
midyear
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I think I just about got every part I need to install a 6 speed in mine...may try and do it over the weekend...
Old 01-26-2012, 02:20 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by midyearvette
" ... got all winter for this "
I once suffered from the "Winter" ... I am now cured of that. That's kinda like a double-edged sword though, because now, down time in the garage is down time on the road ...

Last edited by cor66vette; 01-26-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Quick Reply: What I Did With My Classic Corvette Today....