Sponsored by:

Working C6 steering wheel and redone interior

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 07:48 PM
matthewlfd
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Working C6 steering wheel and redone interior

Finally got my interior mostly done and figured it's about time to share my progress. I went with the OEM plus look with stock style black leather seat skins with red stitching. I also installed new seat foams and heating pads for those cool summer nights. My interior has that new car smell back!

Also did the Redline Goods center console, shift boot, E-Brake handle, and E-brake boot in the same black leather with red stitching as above. Very supple leather and has a great scent!

Definately needed navigation to update the interior, so I picked up a Pioneer double din unit and sent my bezel off to Dennis for the modifications. Looks like it came from the factory this way.

Now onto the wheel. I've always hated the C5 steering wheel, and mine was looking pretty aged. I tossed around the idea of re-covering it with new leather with a red stitch and add the 'bumps' at 10 & 2, but also really missed having steering wheel controls for the radio like my DD has. Looked around and found a lot of people saying it wouldn't work, don't waste your time, etc. but it's not rocket science; I was confident I could figure it out. In pops the 2012 Centennial Edition wheel that came in...you guessed it...black leather with red stitching.

I was sold, so I put in the order for the new wheel, new airbag, and new clock spring. To make it work with the stereo, I had to hook up the clock spring to a PAC SWI-PS interface to translate the signal to the head unit. Just like C6 guys would do if they installed an aftermarket head unit. Quick program of all the buttons, hooked up a few other wires, and everything works great! I love the feel of this steering wheel vs the stock one. Definately a worthwhile upgrade.

I have the bluetooth buttons programmed to answer and end call just like the factory C6, the volume and track buttons work for just that, and I programmed the '1-6 button' to mute the stereo. Might switch this up to change the input source down the line, we'll see.

Here is a quick video showing the working functions. I didn't show the bluetooth controls since I was using the phone to record the video, but you get the idea. So here is proof that it can be done and could be a fun option for some.

The following 2 users liked this post by matthewlfd:
ArmchairArchitect (09-29-2020), sbadd99 (07-23-2021)
Old 06-03-2012, 07:53 PM
ronssito
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow WOW

ive always said the c5 wheel is the interiors weakest styling feature

huge improvement !!!
Old 06-03-2012, 07:54 PM
torchredmadness
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You did a really nice job. I like the way you kept the upgrades subtle. It looks classy instead of "Hey look at me!" Again, very nice job.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:55 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

great mods. I went with the pioneer and dennis' modded bezel over a year ago and love it. I also added another Sirius unit to it and my already existing subscription. great stuff and working with dennis was fantastic. I really like the c6 wheel changeout. it would be great if you could create a "how to" for the less talented members like me. if I felt I could follow some instructions, I would certainly consider making the same change. great work.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:48 PM
SR-71
Pro

Thats awesome work. I'd love to have that wheel in my car with working buttons. I'd REALLY like to see a write-up.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,307 Likes on 13,978 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Hopefully you can post up pics/details on exactly what you had to do to make that wheel work.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:58 PM
CAP94
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SR-71
Thats awesome work. I'd love to have that wheel in my car with working buttons. I'd REALLY like to see a write-up.
A write would be great, I want to do the same.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:06 PM
CAP94
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey I just noticed you're in Holland. I'm over by Grand Rapids, we're only about 30 minutes apart. I'd love to see your mods in person.

Would you be open to meeting sometime. Lots of vette guys/gals over here too.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:55 PM
matthewlfd
Instructor

Originally Posted by ronssito
wow WOW

ive always said the c5 wheel is the interiors weakest styling feature

huge improvement !!!
Originally Posted by torchredmadness
You did a really nice job. I like the way you kept the upgrades subtle. It looks classy instead of "Hey look at me!" Again, very nice job.
Thanks guys. I like doing the very subtle upgrades that you wouldn't notice right off the bat.

Originally Posted by srs244
great mods. I went with the pioneer and dennis' modded bezel over a year ago and love it. I also added another Sirius unit to it and my already existing subscription. great stuff and working with dennis was fantastic. I really like the c6 wheel changeout. it would be great if you could create a "how to" for the less talented members like me. if I felt I could follow some instructions, I would certainly consider making the same change. great work.
I installed the Sirius add on too; put both the GPS and Sirius antenna next to the HUD unit under the dashboard.

Originally Posted by CAP94
Hey I just noticed you're in Holland. I'm over by Grand Rapids, we're only about 30 minutes apart. I'd love to see your mods in person.

Would you be open to meeting sometime. Lots of vette guys/gals over here too.
Love to! Grand Rapids isn't a bad drive at all from here. I don't really have any serious mods to check out, but I'd love to meet up with local car guys! I'd also like to check out different exhaust systems people are running too; hearing them on the computer is never the same as listening to them in person.

As far as the writeup goes, it's pretty simple. Here is what you need:

- '08+ C6 steering wheel (same as Cobalt, HHR, G6, etc) but the Centennial Corvette ones come with different stitching color, bumps at 10&2, and have the option for alcantara.

- '06+ C6 airbag (same as above, but the Corvette ones have the flag emblem)

- Either have APSIS modify your wheel splines to fit, or cut the spines off of your old wheel or any similar vintage GM car to weld into the center of the new wheel. I also looked into just replacing the upper part of the steering shaft, but never got too far with it.

- '08+ C6 clock spring P/N 19153907

- Aftermarket head unit

- PAC SWI-PS2 to convert the button signal to the head unit

There was a good write up on clock spring R&R on here that I glanced at, but removing the wheel/airbag should be simple enough for most people. The clock spring is held in with a simple C clip and just needs the airbag plug removed. If this is not enough info, refer to the existing how to on that since it is pretty detailed.

Some people mentioned the old wheel was hard to get off with the Autozone/Advance Auto tools they rent. I used a pulley removal tool like this and it worked perfect:

Now the wiring is the fun part, and I searched for a long time to find out what each wire in the C6 column did and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I just poked and prodded until I figured out what each pin did. Also the wire colors from the wheel and the clock spring didn't match up either. Oh well...

The wheel I used had 5 pins, and the clock spring had 7. I suspect the clock spring had the extra 2 for the flappy paddle shifter option on the autos.

Clock spring connector:

Where the clock spring hooks up to the wheel:

C6 clock spring installed:

C6 airbag installed. This just pushes in and is retained by clips in the wheel itself:

Here is the wires that you will need to hook up

Wire color on wheel - Matching Wire color on Clock spring - Function

Brown - Gray - Horn signal

Black - Blue - Ground

Yellow - Purple - Button Illumination

Purple w/White - Brown - 12v+

Blue - Red - Steering wheel control signal

Wire hook ups are pretty self explanatory. The horn signal wire goes to the C5 horn wire at the top of the steering column. It's black, there are 2 of them up there, and I guessed the right one the first time. Hopefully you will do the same. The steering wheel control signal goes to the PAC SWI switch that you will have to program.

Corvette specific instructions can be found at this link:

http://www.pac-audio.com/SWI/SWIAppG...iOptions=Radio

Only open issue for me is the 2ohm 5watt resistor I am waiting for to get rid of the airbag light. The C6 uses a dual stage airbag system (4 wires) whereas the C5 is a single stage (2 wires). For now the resistor works until I figure out how to hook up the airbag.

Hope that was enough to help someone.

Last edited by matthewlfd; 06-03-2012 at 10:59 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by matthewlfd:
ArmchairArchitect (01-28-2018), SaberD (12-21-2016), sbadd99 (07-15-2019)
Old 06-03-2012, 10:56 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Awesome transformation
Old 06-04-2012, 12:13 AM
mosimann
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Noooooooooooo!!!!! Please no more ideas!!!!!!!!!

Looks amazing! So the only problem so far is the airbag not being functional?
Old 06-04-2012, 01:13 AM
jornahow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In this thread Apsis says you need the C6 airbag, but they seem to think it's plug and play on the C5, which seems unlikely.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...on-c5-pix.html
Old 06-04-2012, 01:46 AM
routeman007
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by peter pan
Awesome transformation
"I certainly agree! Nicely done."
Old 06-04-2012, 02:04 AM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

That makes a huge difference! Interior looks great, I really like the c6 steering wheel, I just don't like that it's a shade lighter than our interior, I think if i go with the alcantara I can minimize the difference.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:04 AM
Brit dex
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

take my hat of to you for this steering wheel, absolutely awesome...... well done

would love to do this, but lacking the skill!
Old 06-04-2012, 12:21 PM
matthewlfd
Instructor

Originally Posted by mosimann
Noooooooooooo!!!!! Please no more ideas!!!!!!!!!

Looks amazing! So the only problem so far is the airbag not being functional?
Yup, that is the only non-functional part of this. I will have to research how to make it functional. But a resistor works in shutting off the airbag light. Testing will be hard as I don't want to blow a brand new airbag just to make sure it works.

Originally Posted by jornahow
In this thread Apsis says you need the C6 airbag, but they seem to think it's plug and play on the C5, which seems unlikely.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...on-c5-pix.html
They told me the same. Not sure where they got that info, the plugs are completely different. Definately not plug and play.

Originally Posted by blackmachdown
That makes a huge difference! Interior looks great, I really like the c6 steering wheel, I just don't like that it's a shade lighter than our interior, I think if i go with the alcantara I can minimize the difference.
I was very worried about that as well, but I think a lot of that is just lighting in the picture. In person, I can't tell enough of a difference to bother me and I consider myself a very picky person.

Originally Posted by Brit dex
take my hat of to you for this steering wheel, absolutely awesome...... well done

would love to do this, but lacking the skill!
Really wasn't that bad once the wiring was figured out.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:28 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Really nice improvements!

Get notified of new replies

To Working C6 steering wheel and redone interior

Old 06-04-2012, 01:34 PM
Qwik01
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice, I love that steering wheel!
Old 06-04-2012, 03:58 PM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Houston Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14
I believe in the Beer Fairy

looks good, I wonder how the air bag will function
Old 06-05-2012, 08:10 PM
matthewlfd
Instructor

Originally Posted by Andrew6
looks good, I wonder how the air bag will function
Can't say for sure. I managed to get the wiring diagram for the dual stage airbag, so if I can dig one up on the C5 I can at least get the low speed deployment hooked up.

Quick Reply: Working C6 steering wheel and redone interior