C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hvac fails to Recerc Mode

Old 06-15-2013, 07:23 PM
mxw1
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Hvac fails to Recerc Mode

Hi,

I meant to say; Hvac Fails to Recirculation Mode, in the title.

I have a 2000 FRC with dual climate controls.
Recently the HVAC controls have started to fail into the Recirculation Mode after the ignition is turned off. It started a while back and only occasionally did this, but now it's just about every time.
Any ideas other than replace the HVAC head?
Mike

Last edited by mxw1; 06-18-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:10 PM
mxw1
Instructor

Default anybody?

Has anybody had this problem and found the fix?
Old 05-22-2017, 03:26 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

SOMETHING to PONDER!

Most C5s that have Dual Zone have MEMORY FUNCTION. IF,, the memory is set to RECERC, it will go there every time!

Reset all the interior memory functions, (HVAC Settings, radio channels and volume, mirror position, seat position, Hud settings ect, ect) to something that you want them to return to and them press and hold MEM-1 & MEM-2 until the little MEM light BLINKS to memorize those settings.

When you unlock the car with the FOB, it will set all those things to you're personal settings.

OR

If you have a WEAK BATTERY and every time you CRANK the engine, the HIGH CURRENT starter causes the battery buss voltage to drop LOW (around 8-9 VDC) it will cause the BCM shut down loose ALl of those memory settings and cause the HVAC to DEFAULT to defrost and recerc mode..

Bill
Old 05-22-2017, 05:28 PM
mxw1
Instructor

Default Hvac

Thanks Bill.
It's a 2000 FRC and doesn't have any memory 1 and 2 key fob or buttons on the left door. I know what you are talking about, my 2003 did have memory functions.

It could be the battery spikes low on start-up. We use the car everyday, sounds like it cranks normal, but I'll clean the battery terminals and see if it happens less often.

Thanks for the input.

Mike
Old 05-22-2017, 05:54 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

Interesting. I've noticed mine defaulting to recirc on every startup lately as well. In4upates
Old 05-23-2017, 12:05 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Recommend having the battery fully tested at one of the autoparts places.
Have them check for CCA, Reserve capacity and see what the output voltage does under heavy load.

Replace the battery if it can not support more than 10 VDC output under full load. Our modules SHUT DOWN and reset when the battery voltage drops low out of spec (like when you cold crank the engine).

Bill
Old 05-23-2017, 07:01 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 440 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by DetroitPlac
Interesting. I've noticed mine defaulting to recirc on every startup lately as well. In4upates
If the HVAC is set to auto mode and the interior is hot from sitting in the sun, the AC will default to recirculation mode to get the interior temp down as quickly as possible. Once the desired temp is achieved, it will switch out and bring in fresh air. The fan should be running at high speed as well.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:31 AM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
If the HVAC is set to auto mode and the interior is hot from sitting in the sun, the AC will default to recirculation mode to get the interior temp down as quickly as possible. Once the desired temp is achieved, it will switch out and bring in fresh air. The fan should be running at high speed as well.
Oh, wow...I didn't know it did that.

Mine is never on auto, though...I can't stand the fan always blasting. I think I'm going to try changing the battery. It's 8 years old, an dI deep cycled it a few times this spring getting the car running.

Get notified of new replies

To Hvac fails to Recerc Mode

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hvac fails to Recerc Mode