C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS7 fact vs fiction

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 04:46 PM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts
Default LS7 fact vs fiction

Over the past 2-3 years I have seen comments on various threads either implying or flat out saying there are serious issues with the LS7 engine; however, when reading the threads a little closer it seemed that the problems were mostly with cars that were either modified and or subject to racing. Otherwise, for the LS7's not modified or that weren't tracked, the number of issues appeared to fall well within the "normal" range for most vehicles. Yet, almost every time I go on the forum I read a thread where someone notes how the LS7 has problems. I know from talking to to fellow ZO6 owners at various shows over the years and also with repair folks............nobody had any issues, or even knew of folks with issues, but this clearly was a small and unscientific sample. Does anyone have independent, reliable data on this topic? Can any forum dealer repair shops weigh in to help set the record straight---are the LS7 cars you see for major repairs modified; tracked cars; or cars from normal use? Thanks.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:23 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

What you're seeing is that people with problems post about them. Those with LS7s with no motor problems don't start threads saying they don't have problems. My guess is that it's a very small proportion of those motors that have those issues, but that's what we hear about.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:40 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Vette Lags is not modified and the engine starved itself of oil at around 12k miles. Since there are a lot more LS3s we should be hearing about them fail more instead of rarely.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:49 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

I'm on my second LS7. No issues either car.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:54 PM
veni vidi vert
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I had 74,000 miles on my '08 Z before I did new heads, valves, guides, etc. I had 3 track days on the stock engine.

FWIW, No issues.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:56 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks to the forum I know to look for needle bearings on magnetic drain plugs and HB issues. I better get a magnetic drain plug for my '12. It is lacking and I suspect synthetic blend instead of Mobil 1.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Vette Lag
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Vette Lags is not modified and the engine starved itself of oil at around 12k miles. Since there are a lot more LS3s we should be hearing about them fail more instead of rarely.
The second engine just died at 1700 miles later. The engineering department at the design center is involved. Not good in my opinion.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:43 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow427
Over the past 2-3 years I have seen comments on various threads either implying or flat out saying there are serious issues with the LS7 engine; however, when reading the threads a little closer it seemed that the problems were mostly with cars that were either modified and or subject to racing. Otherwise, for the LS7's not modified or that weren't tracked, the number of issues appeared to fall well within the "normal" range for most vehicles. Yet, almost every time I go on the forum I read a thread where someone notes how the LS7 has problems. I know from talking to to fellow ZO6 owners at various shows over the years and also with repair folks............nobody had any issues, or even knew of folks with issues, but this clearly was a small and unscientific sample. Does anyone have independent, reliable data on this topic? Can any forum dealer repair shops weigh in to help set the record straight---are the LS7 cars you see for major repairs modified; tracked cars; or cars from normal use? Thanks.
It seems the cars were beat up and quit. You cant just change one thing. if one mod is made them the whole engine must be upgraded. WE must all remember that these are Chevys and they are designed to go to certain level and that's it. Go further without the expenditure and its OOPS. Just my take on the whole "the sky is falling" scenario

Clif
Old 11-15-2013, 06:50 PM
funz06
Drifting

Steve R.............what you say makes sense. Additionally, what I have noticed is that usually the person with the negative comment about the LS7 has never owned a LS7 and is just perpetuating hearsay. For example, today on a thread on another matter one writer threw in the comment on how they would never buy a 427 because of all the problems with the LS7---and I bet I read similar comments several times a week. Why I asked the question for this thread----I traded my ZO6 for a 427........never had any problem with the ZO6, nor did other ZO6 owners I met over the years (5-6 members in our local club had ZO6's and none of us had problems nor knew of anyone that did). However, when I keep reading about the problems my curiosity gets the better of me and I would like to know what is fact and what is fiction. Are our cars more prone to serious issues (even if we don't modify or race them), or are the actual issues within the expected norm for all cars? I was hoping a few of the forum dealers could shed some light on this based on their actual experience from their repair shops. Then I would either have some peace of mind and ignore the naysayers, or I could plan accordingly and maybe look into a C7 sooner than I would like (a C7 ZO6 convertible with 620 HP----I can dream can't I?).
Old 11-15-2013, 06:52 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I think there is truth in LS7 issues. A lot more LS2 and LS3 motors and no where near the the complaints.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:03 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

In my case with 46K on mine, bought new BTW, and my experience with at least a dozen Z owners over the years that I have had in depth discussions with them about how they maintain their vehicle I'd have to say fiction. Only one of the "dozen" had an engine failure. So in my personal real world experience that would be 9% failure rate? One of the common care practices was a shared owners' knowledge to let the oil temp warm up over 160* before getting on it. These Z's were 2006-2011's with anywhere between 12K -70K miles.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:08 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

My Z a 2007, street driven only, had $14.5 K worth of repairs by 40K miles. Heads shot, 3x wear on guides at 40K. Friends shot as well. If it wasn't for this forum, I might still have the car with a blown engine.

I bought the car new and properly maintained it. Worst thing I ever owned.

Happy with my Grand Sport..

Last edited by 2k Cobra; 11-15-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:13 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Fiction?, tell that to the ones that have lost motors, both stock and modified. Also, even more have found worn out guides in relatively few miles, again, both stock and modified.

It's not fiction.... and I'd venture to say the numbers are probably running 10%. So, if you had a business and 10% of your employees were slacking, what would you do?
Old 11-15-2013, 08:04 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Lag
The second engine just died at 1700 miles later. The engineering department at the design center is involved. Not good in my opinion.
Crap, I wonder what went wrong.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:20 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

No one really knows... stock, mods, tracked, street only...Wiggle test, new head/valves....it goes on and on..Z section is infected with this scrap...FWIW I "drive" my Z whenever I get the chance and hardly ever in the right lane...Enjoy The Beast

Last edited by ATC399; 11-15-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:20 PM
funz06
Drifting

Glen B.............can I ask where you are getting your 10% figure, and do you know what portion of this 10% had modified the car and or raced it? In reading prior threads on this over the last 3-4 years it just seemed that it was rare when the car wasn't modified or raced, but again I don't have any hard, reliable numbers.

Perhaps a much higher percentage of the LS7 cars were modified (considering the folks that bought them obviously like a lot of horsepower). This could also explain why a higher percentage of these engines had problems--if in fact this turns out to be true.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:22 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Glen B.............can I ask where you are getting your 10% figure, and do you know what portion of this 10% had modified the car and or raced it? In reading prior threads on this over the last 3-4 years it just seemed that it was rare when the car wasn't modified or raced, but again I don't have any hard, reliable numbers.

Perhaps a much higher percentage of the LS7 cars were modified (considering the folks that bought them obviously like a lot of horsepower). This could also explain why a higher percentage of these engines had problems--if in fact this turns out to be true.

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 fact vs fiction

Old 11-15-2013, 08:27 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

The telling comparison would be highly modified LS2 and LS3 motors to even stock LS7 issues. But who has the numbers.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:26 PM
NotVincent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 427 with 5000 miles on it is in the shop for an oil pump replacement. Hot idle pressure dropped to under 10PSI and it would not raise above 50PSI no matter the RPM. My SA says there was no damage to my engine but, someone with a lot of experience with this issue says that this is a well-known issue with Chevy and that I better make sure my engine is thoroughly checked for damage. He believes it may have already suffered damage.

I don't beat on the car, I make sure the oil temp reaches 180 before I even exceed 3000 RPM and have never had an opportunity to even come close to red-lining it. I thought most of these LS7 horror stories were limited to tuners and racers. It appears I may have been wrong.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:29 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
I think there is truth in LS7 issues. A lot more LS2 and LS3 motors and no where near the the complaints.
but over blown here to some degree too! Only like 34(guessing) cars most with mods. But all the over posting has many changing heads.
personally I have owned two with no issue!

Quick Reply: LS7 fact vs fiction