C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

"Early" and "Late" ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 12:11 AM
IGO200
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default "Early" and "Late" ?

Is there a generally accepted definition of what is an "early" or "late" car in a production year?
Old 12-17-2013, 12:14 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

No. It absolutely depends on both the car and the design difference being discussed. I have what's generally considered a "late" '63, but when you determine this item vs that item, "early" and "late" are a matter of different dates, VINs, etc.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:46 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
No. It absolutely depends on both the car and the design difference being discussed. I have what's generally considered a "late" '63, but when you determine this item vs that item, "early" and "late" are a matter of different dates, VINs, etc.
The first day of production serial #1 is early and the last is late. Anything in between is relative.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:02 AM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In generally speaking for the 1961 Corvette model year for instance “very early” production cars are built first 30 days of September 1960, “early” production may include the 60 days following from October 1960 to November 1960, “early midyear” production can include December 1960 to February 1961, “midyear” production from March 1961 to May 1961, and “late” production June to July 1961, “very late” production last month of August 1961. September 1961 starts production for 1962 model year Corvette.

Don't get mid-year production confused with mid-year Corvettes that's referred as the second generation Corvettes from 1963 to 1967 better known as C2’s.... Buuuut you knew that right!

rustylugnuts
Old 12-17-2013, 02:14 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Some year models had multiple changes occuring during the production of that model year.
The 57 is a fairly good example in some respects. Fuel injection is a good example. There were 4 different models of FI for 57, but he first FI units (4360) underwent several changes during the production run of those units. And it is difficult to break down just when the changes occured for the same model of FI unit as well as when the different FI models got installed during production of the car.
Below are just a few of the changes/options that occured during the 57 model year.
HD brakes
4sp tranny
Positraction,
internal structural reinforcement for the body
rear view mirror
rain gutter
Carburetor models
Distributors.
So, for some year models, it can be difficult to pinpoint when a change or option occured.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:35 AM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Some year models had multiple changes occuring during the production of that model year.
The 57 is a fairly good example in some respects. Fuel injection is a good example. There were 4 different models of FI for 57, but he first FI units (4360) underwent several changes during the production run of those units. And it is difficult to break down just when the changes occured for the same model of FI unit as well as when the different FI models got installed during production of the car.
Below are just a few of the changes/options that occured during the 57 model year.
HD brakes
4sp tranny
Positraction,
internal structural reinforcement for the body
rear view mirror
rain gutter
Carburetor models
Distributors.
So, for some year models, it can be difficult to pinpoint when a change or option occured.
Very good example, maybe all these changes were implemented so Harley Earl & Zora Duntov could get their power plant first year fuelies in production addressing options as they come down assembly line, making revisions when needed conforming to the next model year.
I’m speculating here assuming the next year 1958 options were addressed in relation to serial number/month of production, as in reference to the 1953-62 Vol 1 Corvette first edition.

rustylugnuts

Last edited by rustylugnuts; 12-17-2013 at 02:47 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:32 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I have a very late 61 -- within 100 cars of the end of production and a late 63 SWC within the last 1000 cars. I prefer that in one sense because the later cars (I assume) have many of the kinks worked out over the production year. There is no definitive line as mentioned and EARLY/LATE designations vary with the model year of the car and even within individual parts. E.g. an early or late car may be by specific serial number for one part (radiator, water pump, body feature, etc.).

Very early '63s had the "toolbox" body depression under the seat for a power SEAT option and very late 63' had '64 dash clusters. It can get very confusing.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-17-2013 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Edited because MikeM said I needed to...
Old 12-17-2013, 09:46 AM
MrPbody
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's actually easier that all that…. for example:
If you order a part for an early car, and it doesn't fit, you have a late car. and visa versa.

glad I could help,
P
The following users liked this post:
dcamick (02-26-2018)
Old 12-17-2013, 10:27 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,018 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Chevrolet regularly made what they called "Running Model Changes" to their cars. There was never a set date, during the year, when these changes took place. As a new, better or cheaper part became available, it would be fazed into production.

Chevrolet parts books never used the terms "early" or "late". When more than one version of a part was used during a model year, the variations are referred to as 1st Design, 2nd Design, etc.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

It reminds me of my flight line days - Navy fighters were constantly undergoing mods and upgrades...usually they were gathered up into large "block" changes (which included many, many individual changes) for configuration management purposes, but, there were still individual "running" changes for "safety of flight" issues, etc..

Even so, it was still handled better than these early Corvette changes....63s are particularly messy.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:41 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

Very early '63s had the "toolbox" body depression under the seat for a power window option and very late 63' had '64 dash clusters. It can get very confusing.
If you had it to do over again, is there anything in this paragraph you'd change?
The following users liked this post:
63Corvette (02-26-2018)
Old 12-17-2013, 02:30 PM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

As previously stated, serial number/production month & day are implemented with production changes, in reference to (will give the long title) The Complete Corvette Restoration & Technical Guide Vol.1 1953-1962 First Edition Revised Updated Edition, Forth Printing 1980.

I’m sure some changes or parts cannot be accurately tracked, buuuut this book covers almost everything…. As for C2’s I would buy the 1963-1967 version. Unless someone can enlighten us with a more accurate reference book I’m all ears.

rustylugnuts
Old 12-17-2013, 02:51 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by MikeM
If you had it to do over again, is there anything in this paragraph you'd change?
It should have been power seats - a simple typo.
Probably cuz I got power windows on the brain since I have the 63 doors all apart - tough decision.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-17-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:21 PM
Dougs63
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

There are early and late cars and there are early and late parts. An early part can show up on a late car and vice-versa.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:02 AM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dougs63
There are early and late cars and there are early and late parts. An early part can show up on a late car and vice-versa.
And there are no factory documentations linking these early or late parts to a particular serial number verifying authenticity? Can someone give me a few examples? If possible example to a C1 as I have no C2 documents or production data to following up with. That's additional from what Tom stated on the 1957 fuel injections.
Second question after this is extracted and proven to be correct, how can an NCRS judge properly authenticate a specific Corvette over another?

Has anyone encountered this?

That attests you can learn something new at an old age…

rustylugnuts

Last edited by rustylugnuts; 12-18-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rustylugnuts
And there are no factory documentations linking these early or late parts to a particular serial number verifying authenticity? Can someone give me a few examples? ........

Second question after this is extracted and proven to be correct, how can an NCRS judge properly authenticate a specific Corvette over another?

Has anyone encountered this?

That attests you can learn something new at an old age…

rustylugnuts
Lustyrugputz!

NCRS doesn't certify or authenticate cars. There- you've learned something. Please spread the word.

As for early/late, I've got an example in mind of a car that was finished on July 5th. That makes it 'very late'. There were two running changes introduced AFTER this car was built, one to the intake manifold, the other involving the front grill. This means that the car is early with respect to these pieces.

But wait! There's more! An acquaintance has the same model year car but it was built in Sept. of the previous year. It's therefore an early car. His features a minor change to the wiring, so his is the late design.

Oh my.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:37 PM
IGO200
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

The above is more like what I was wondering about.
So, are we sort of saying that as far as judging goes, anything before the midpoint of the production year (or S/N range) would be "early" and after is "late"? Or, is there ever a reference to "Mid" production for some period between early and late? Some vendors (notably Paragon) list parts as E or L for a given year.

Get notified of new replies

To "Early" and "Late" ?

Old 12-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Dougs63
Precisely.

Hence we have a circular argument now. Even the vendors (many of 'em anyhow) will cite early or late parts (e.g. 63E or 63L in a part listing) - in the fine print many times they state which VIN ranges a part is appropriate for.

This thread can have no succinct, all-encompassing definition for "early" and "late" IMO....but opinions are like bellybuttons (or whatever body part you prefer) -- everybody has one.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:56 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
This thread can have no succinct, all-encompassing definition for "early" and "late" IMO.........

If we look at a specific year, 1963 for example:
There were so many "running changes" spread throughout the production cycle that a definitive point between early and late does not exist.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by IGO200
The above is more like what I was wondering about.
So, are we sort of saying that as far as judging goes, anything before the midpoint of the production year (or S/N range) would be "early" and after is "late"? Or, is there ever a reference to "Mid" production for some period between early and late? Some vendors (notably Paragon) list parts as E or L for a given year.
Not all all correct. This is an illustration of how confused the subject has become even though it's (relatively) simple.

Running changes happened throughout the production year. Some times they happened in bunches. most times individually. Life would be wonderful if there was documents from GM saying the 1st design part was used up to and including car serial XXX and 2nd design from there until the end of production.

But there isn't.

GM never used the terms 'early' and 'late'. The hobby invented those.

Vendors could be helpful by stating the serial number changeover, or at least the calendar date when it changed.

Intermixing early/late car production dates with early/late parts changeovers is bound to confuse.

Quick Reply: "Early" and "Late" ?