C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 K120 now available for GS and Z06 >

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 12:20 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 (K120) now available for GS and Z06 >

Now you have yet another choice for tires, which is always good news ....

For you folks that have the GS and Z06 cars, Hankook tires are now available in your OEM size:

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 (K120) . . . . (These are non-run flats)

Front: . . . 275 / 35ZR-18 XL
Rear: . . . .325 / 30ZR-19 XL

Treadwear Rating: 320

Cost to the door for a set of 4 tires from Discount Tire Direct is $1,185 - $80 mail-in rebate = $1,105 ... That's just a couple of bucks more than a set of Nitto Invo's.

Also available through Tire Rack: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...950&vid=018710

Has anyone tried a set of these tires yet on there GS?

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 05-04-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:24 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

If this is old news ... Sorry, I haven't been here on the forum for awhile
Old 05-04-2014, 01:23 AM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I heard about this here on the forum a few weeks ago. I'm sure that there are many on here that are not aware of this though.

I have the Nitto Invos but would have bought these had they been available when I bought mine.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:14 AM
Bradysdad
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

I have had a set on order and the problem was getting the rears. They will finally arrive on Tuesday and I am getting them installed on Friday.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:36 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I got mine installed last week, and put the car through the paces with a triple digit top speed,sweeping wide turns,thruway expansion strips, bumpy roads and some twisty roads.
All I can say is this tire delivers! Being a non RF,the ride is much smoother,traction was great even though the outside temp. was 56 deg. I didn't get any wheel spin from a dead stop nailing it either,lots of tread depth and with a tread wear rating of "320" these should offer superior mileage to any other tire in the GS sizes. All at a great price!

Even though I have AAA and roadside assistance through my warranty,I bought this Slime tire compressor kit and plug kit for peace of mind. Fits right in the back cubby.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:56 AM
Redvette_22
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

It's good to have another choice but WHY can't somebody make an "All Season" tire in our sizes, just like the base C6..?? I don't track my car, and most others don't either and if you track it your most likely putting on race tires anyway, and like many others drive my car in temps that the "Summer Only" tires would not be safe in.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:32 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Good to have another choice but too bad these tires suck.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:44 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Well, that's too bad ... The Hankook Ventus sucks.

You see, I had no idea ... Maybe you can explain
Old 05-04-2014, 03:52 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

I don't know that they suck, but maybe not the best. I've seen reviews against more popular summer tires, and they've generally been good reviews with 7/10. Their weak points tend to be a soft turn-in, like the Invo, and the compound gets greasey when pushed, which leads to slip.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:00 PM
Tide Will Roll!
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recently switched from the Michelin AS Plus to the Hankook Evo 1(base coupe) I got several thousand miles on the Evo's now with no complaints.
They suck so goood its doubtful I buy Michelin again.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:20 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Not sure where you got your info. These are a brand new model just released a few weeks ago. I just put another 100 miles on today out for a cruise, wife could believe how much smoother the car rides.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:25 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

I posted this a few weeks ago, looking forward to some reviews as I have one more year left on my General Exclaims that have given me great service, to bad those are no longer made.

Good to have another option for the GS/Z owners.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:41 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

I think when someone on this forum such as 'Jawnathin' comes on here and says these Hankook tires "suck", the least he could do is tell us why he feels they are a POS.

Or is that asking too much?
Old 05-05-2014, 04:14 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Well, that's too bad ... The Hankook Ventus sucks.

You see, I had no idea ... Maybe you can explain
Hankook does make a good tire, but the V12s are not one of them. For more info, see below.

Originally Posted by glenB
I don't know that they suck, but maybe not the best. I've seen reviews against more popular summer tires, and they've generally been good reviews with 7/10. Their weak points tend to be a soft turn-in, like the Invo, and the compound gets greasey when pushed, which leads to slip.
They're pretty bad. If you need a performance/summer tire, there are other better options out there. There is no point in buying these when the Michelin Super Sports are available for just a few bucks more. The Invos are awful too.

Originally Posted by Tide Will Roll!
Recently switched from the Michelin AS Plus to the Hankook Evo 1(base coupe) I got several thousand miles on the Evo's now with no complaints.
They suck so goood its doubtful I buy Michelin again.
Just because you replaced one crappy tire with less crappy tire, doesn't mean the less crappy tire is any good.

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Not sure where you got your info. These are a brand new model just released a few weeks ago. I just put another 100 miles on today out for a cruise, wife could believe how much smoother the car rides.
This model of tire have been out in other sizes for a few years now. I've had enough seat time in them between various cars to know not to buy them or recommend them.

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
I think when someone on this forum such as 'Jawnathin' comes on here and says these Hankook tires "suck", the least he could do is tell us why he feels they are a POS.

Or is that asking too much?
Sorry that I'm not on the forum 24/7 and sorry that you're butt hurt that I don't like your tires. I have better things to do with my time than waiting all day on the forums to reply immediately. Its only been a day since I posted

If your car sits in a garage like 95% of the time and the 5% you do drive is under the speed limit in the left lane, then any tire will work fine for you. But if you care about performance in your PERFORMANCE CAR, then these tires suck.

I've ridden on them on the track/autocross and driven on them at an autocross and frankly they're not a very good performance tire. I was able to light them up on a 160hp car. What in the world will a 500hp Z06 do to them? Nothing but smokey burnouts and sloppy handling.

The sidewall is too soft, so they roll over and turn in is sloppy/slow. And when pushed they really don't have that much grip, they let go pretty early and unpredictably. About the only thing good is they'll last a long time, because they're hard as a rock. But that's the reason why they suck as a performance tire, the rubber compound is just too hard.

They scored last overall in a test of this tire class with the slowest lap times/last place performance and 2nd worst road manners - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=149

And frankly, this class of tire is like the Junior Varsity of performance tires. Yes, its 'summer tire', but none of them are very good and this tire just happens to be the worst of the bunch.

Here are some flattering quotes from the review...

The Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 delivered similar overall handling and steering response, but displayed a small amount of lag in the initial response to driver inputs.

The Ventus V12 evo K110 displayed moderate harshness when driving over the rougher portions of our route, feeling a little less refined than the Sumitomo and Dunlop tires.

The HTR Z III disguised its noise the best, producing a relatively broad sound, while the Ventus V12 evo K110 generated more distinctive tones as speed increased.

Rounding out the group was the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 which didn't have the ultimate grip or feel as stable and precise as the others.

Trailing the group was the Ventus V12 evo K110, which was hampered by its relatively narrow peak in traction, making it somewhat more challenging to maximize its performance.

The Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 are capable, but don't have quite the refinement or poise of the others.
You're better off with a Pilot Super Sport for just a little more money. With 300 treadwear, they'll last about as long but offer WAYYYYYYYYY more traction in both the dry and wet. You can find a set in the same sizes for about $1250~ after $70 MIR. That extra $150 is well worth it.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:47 PM
wrh3
Pro

V12s definitely don't suck, if I had known they were out I might have opted for them over the PSS I picked up based on past experience AND reviews.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:56 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wrh3
V12s definitely don't suck, if I had known they were out I might have opted for them over the PSS I picked up based on past experience AND reviews.
Yes they do and choosing the PSS was the right decision.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:58 PM
wrh3
Pro

Yes they do and choosing the PSS was the right decision.
How do they suck? What is your experience with them?

Get notified of new replies

To Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 K120 now available for GS and Z06 >

Old 05-05-2014, 05:30 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

How do they suck? What is your experience with them?
Read the post above your 1st one
Old 05-05-2014, 05:33 PM
wrh3
Pro

They must have gotten worse since I owned them after this test some years ago, I was happy with them: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...12-evo-page-10
Old 05-05-2014, 05:51 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

They must have gotten worse since I owned them after this test some years ago, I was happy with them: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...12-evo-page-10
Yes, that test is 5 years old against some just OK tires. The only good tire there was the Star Specs (I had 2 sets of those) but that is in a higher performance class (the Varsity team). The XS is on a different performance level too, but it probably 'lost' because of its wet performance.

The test from Tire Rack was more recent and they were last place in their Junior Varsity class.

There is no reason to buy V12s when there are Super Sports available in our sizes. It'll last just as long with far better performance in the dry and wet.

Quick Reply: Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 K120 now available for GS and Z06 >