C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 starter solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 03:52 PM
y2kvett
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 2001 starter solenoid?

Does anyone have a part number for this solenoid...preferably ACDelco?
Old 05-13-2014, 04:19 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by y2kvett
not made. you have to buy the entire starter to get ac delco

guy on ebay has chineese solenoids {which are probably the same you would get on a reman} for something like 20 bucks shipped
Old 05-13-2014, 07:38 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

got mine off ebay for 25 shipped
Old 05-13-2014, 07:43 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

I don't think it is worth all the effort to not change starter, when you can get one for less than $100. I just changed mine and it is a royal PIA!
Old 05-13-2014, 07:52 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
I don't think it is worth all the effort to not change starter, when you can get one for less than $100. I just changed mine and it is a royal PIA!
?

all you have to do is drop the H pipe and pop a couple bolts
Old 05-13-2014, 11:59 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

I have Kooks 1 7/8 LTs. Had to disconnect header and unbolt exhaust. Did it on jack stands, was physically very difficult due to lack of room for hands and arms. Worst part is that starter does not drop down below floor of car, so disconnecting/connecting wires is a PIA. I just think a lot of work not to replace whole starter for the price, especially since might not be solenoid, and can replace with newer long bolt starter to avoid block breakage.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:35 PM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Starter Solenoid Part Number 66-132

I was having intermittent starting issues on my '98 until it just stop starting. It would just click so I just assumed it was the starter since it failed slowly, not all of a sudden which might lead to some other issue. I removed the starter and had it tested. During bench testing there was some sparking around the solenoid terminal cable that goes to the starter motor. I tried to tighten the loose wire by tightening the nut but it was not budging. I used some extra effort and it cracked the plastic on the solenoid. I was going to replace it anyway but I needed to removed the solenoid. After some effort I was able to get the nut off. My next challenge was to remove the three star headed bolts. I thought I had a tool to fit it, but I didn't. I found a 1/4" drive 4mm deep socket at Napa for $3 and was able to remove the solenoid. It seems my local parts stores only sell the entire starter motor for up to $200. My motor had a part number that was etched with the number 9000834. I called my local auto electric shop I had done business with before and they had a solenoid. I took the solenoid and starter motor to the auto electric shop and they sold me a new solenoid, installed it on the motor and tested it for $26.93. The solenoid was $25. I noticed on the receipt that the part number for the solenoid was 66-132. You can find this part number on Ebay and maybe somewhere else that might be able to cross-reference it with another part number. When I typed in the part number that was etched on the starter on Ebay the results came up with a bunch of starters for less than $100. I don't know, it's kind of confusing because it seems this starter is used on a lot of GM cars. Fixing my starter was cheaper and yeah, I might have to replace the entire thing later with a new one. I realize the exhaust has to be disconnected to get to the starter but I'm a DIY'r so it's no big deal. If it craps out in the future then maybe I'll opt for a new one with the two long bolts instead of my stock one which has one short and one long bolt.

Last edited by MrRenoman; 10-23-2015 at 08:19 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 10-25-2015, 04:15 AM
racebum
Race Director

good time to mention a starter case update. i would not rebuild an OE starter. there was some issue with them or the block cracking due to design. all new delco starters are the updated case
Old 10-25-2015, 08:59 AM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Yes, I've read a lot about the starter case. Interesting that I got 18 years on the starter and 140K miles. I think now that the solenoid fix was cheap but having a broken block later is something I'm thinking about now. After reading all the posts I'm not sure exactly which two long bolt starter to buy. I've seen them for $50-$60 all the way to $200-300. Either way it is insurance against the cracked block problem. Buying an inexpensive starter may lead to premature replacement. Buying a new Delco is probably the best solution. The local Auto Zone has a Duralast for $200 with a lifetime warranty which really doesn't provide me much comfort other than if it fails I'll have to do the pull it out all over again. Buying the cheap one may guarantee I'll have to remove it again with no warranty. I guess either way with the two long bolt starter I won't be, hopefully, dealing with a broken block. I've been pondering this after I fixed my existing starter but have been on other projects during the past few days.

Options: 1. Re-install my fixed starter and hope it doesn't break. 2. Buy an inexpensive 2 bolt long starter and hopefully not worry about a broken block. Except I might be replacing it in the near future depending on which one I buy. 3. Buy a new Delco and just bite the bullet hoping it will last hopefully as long as my original.

I'm leaning toward option 2, I just don't know which one to buy. I've read about Ebay $50-60 6492 or $100-$150 Remy 96232 starter and Amazon $111 Remy 96232 starter. I keep reading the posts trying to figure out which way will work for me. I do my own work and buying the most expensive isn't always the best way. I do like to save money.

Sorry for the long post but this is what I'm thinking while I decide.

Thanks,

Art

Last edited by MrRenoman; 10-25-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:04 AM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
good time to mention a starter case update. i would not rebuild an OE starter. there was some issue with them or the block cracking due to design. all new delco starters are the updated case
Do you have a part number?
Old 10-26-2015, 12:10 AM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

I have not been able to determine, after reading a lot of posts, what the recommended starter part number is. I'd like to know which Delco Remy new starter is recommended and what part numbers are on Ebay and Amazon for a new starter. I just want to know what my choices are with a brief explanation about their typical application. I'm still wrestling with it.

Art
Old 10-26-2015, 09:18 PM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

I bought a brand new Delco Remy starter from Auto Zone. The retail price is $183.99. It can be bought online right now with free shipping, a 20% discount, plus the core of $10, plus Nevada tax for $169.33. The part number is Auto Zone's Gold level DLG9947S and comes with a lifetime warranty. It uses 2 long bolts to attach it to the car. It's the reason I bought it, so it hopefully won't break the engine block which has been reported. It didn't come with the 2nd long bolt. Their other non Gold level DL9947S rebuilt does come with 1 long bolt so you can use your original long bolt and the new one to install it. The rebuilt is cheaper and also comes with a lifetime warranty. The one I bought is a brand new Delco Remy starter with part number 8000239 etched into the motor. If you search on Amazon this starter comes up right now for $99.95 with free shipping and a 1 year warranty. If you want to return it, you have to pay return shipping plus whatever down time you'll have waiting for a replacement. I elected to buy locally so if it does fail I can return it for a new one immediately. I actually had a $20 credit so with tax out the door was $149.33. Plus if I return the core I'll get back another $10-$11 for a grand total of about $139. I figure it was worth it to get it from Auto Zone. Yes you can buy a similar new imported or rebuilt on Amazon or Ebay for $50-$60. It wasn't worth it to me considering if it fails you'll have return shipping and downtime. Not to mention you'll have to R&R it again which for some people the exhaust has to be loosened or removed. I called a local auto and truck electric shop that sells new and rebuilt starters. He quoted me $125 with a 1 year warranty for part number 6492N which is an alternative number. This part number has the same specs as the 8000239. So I guess that's an option too. I did a bunch of searching and reading posts and I made up my mind to get a new Delco Remy with a lifetime warranty from Auto Zone.

As a side note, I was able to pick it up at my local Auto Zone only because they were out of them in the warehouse where the online orders are handled. The local manager gave me the 20% off since I couldn't order it online. If you run across this issue the local manager may override the price like they did for me. It was much more convenient.

Good luck and thanks for reading,

Art
Old 12-16-2018, 03:59 PM
lombardit
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced 2001 AC Delco starter solenoid

Originally Posted by y2kvett
Just replaced my 2001 starter, and I am confident the problem not starting was the solenoid. Got a remanufactured AC Deleco (Identical) on Ebay for $85.00. Installed it and it works fine. I want to fix the original starter so I am replacing the solenoid which I am buying on Ebay for $18.00 free shipping. The number in their list of starters that is engraved on the starter and corresponds to my original starter is 9000866. Could not match the solenoid number M28N000C, but the solenoid pictures are identical. The original starter was not dragging, but the throw out gear was not retracting for several seconds producing a loud whine. After two occasions the starter just clicked (not throwing the gear out) and I knew from years of experience that the solenoid was defective, (probably carbon build up as I have seen in prior years). Yeh, ya gotta take the exhaust off back to the two pipes going into the mufflers to get clearance for dropping the starter. The most used socket (deep) is 15mm. If I, a 70 year old can do it on his back, anyone can do it. Saved more money than the cost of a second low profile jack.

Get notified of new replies

To 2001 starter solenoid?

Quick Reply: 2001 starter solenoid?