Sponsored by:

Cracked windshield

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 08:34 AM
Varcix
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Cracked windshield

So mad this happened, first time for me on any of my past 5+ cars. But I got a rock chip crack in my windshield on the C7 this past weekend.

It's a good size crack, half dollar size, and sadly the crack is right in the drivers view directly in the middle.

I realize in the state of FL the windshields are replaced for free under my insurance, but I wonder when they switch it out will they use a factory GM windshield with the logo and one that is capable of working with the heads up display without any issues? Have anyone done this already and recommend a good company?
Old 02-26-2015, 08:43 AM
Bburr
Racer

Received 203 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Varcix
So mad this happened, first time for me on any of my past 5+ cars. But I got a rock chip crack in my windshield on the C7 this past weekend.

It's a good size crack, half dollar size, and sadly the crack is right in the drivers view directly in the middle.

I realize in the state of FL the windshields are replaced for free under my insurance, but I wonder when they switch it out will they use a factory GM windshield with the logo and one that is capable of working with the heads up display without any issues? Have anyone done this already and recommend a good company?
I am not sure about Florida but here in my KY area, Safelite AutoGlass is considered excellant. www.safelite.con
Old 02-26-2015, 08:49 AM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Just a bump to subscribe to this thread. Interesting question.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:55 AM
scottjays
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

My other vehicle is a BMW it has heads up display. I had that windshield replaced because of a crack. Safelite used OEM and I've had no issues I'm also in Florida and there was no cost to me.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:58 AM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Any reason you don't just take it to the dealer to be installed?
Old 02-26-2015, 09:02 AM
motox621
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

from what i understand they have a coating in the glass to make the heads up show better and it also costs a lot more ....make sure you tell them you have a heads up.....a glass guy told me he did one a camero and the said to just put reg glass so they dident have to pay the difference and the heads up was hard to see and blurry......thats just what i was told tho
Old 02-26-2015, 09:06 AM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

I have state farm insurance and had a rock hit my windshield and crack it on my 2010 GS. I demanded a GM logo windshield, but the company stated that they don't replace with a GM windshield due to the high cost of the part. Instead they use an OE part which was ok, but the sunshield built into the upper part of the windshield wasn't like the GM part and the glass itself was lower quality.

You should be diligent that they DO NOT reuse the windshield molding and gaskets as the fitment will never be right. Ask them to replace with new gaskets and molding. They reused mine, and I never had any leaks, but when it was hot outside the gasket would pop out a bit and I had to push it in in some places on occasion. Lessons learned. Hope this helps.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:08 AM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Windshield should be replaced with a comparable one (meaning with the reflective coating for the heads-up)
Old 02-26-2015, 10:09 AM
corvettecop
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Already looked into this. There is no windshield with the proper coating/surface requirements available today to use with the HUD other then the GM Chevy OEM windshield. DO NOT let your insurance company use a aftermarket windshield.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:46 AM
O99C7
Cruising

Default Same thing happened to me

Mine occurred 3 weeks after I picked up the car. I was going 90 on the Austin bypass (posted speed is 85) when a truck probably 1/4 mile ahead threw a stone. Godawful sound which chiped and cracked the windshield. As others have suggested insist on OEM and check out your local installers by name. Most of these guys are franchises so it comes down to the skill of the installer.

Simple enough repair and yes it is good to have insurance.
Jb.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:07 AM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Default Not any more...

Originally Posted by SilverScorp
I have state farm insurance and had a rock hit my windshield and crack it on my 2010 GS. I demanded a GM logo windshield, but the company stated that they don't replace with a GM windshield due to the high cost of the part. Instead they use an OE part which was ok, but the sunshield built into the upper part of the windshield wasn't like the GM part and the glass itself was lower quality.

You should be diligent that they DO NOT reuse the windshield molding and gaskets as the fitment will never be right. Ask them to replace with new gaskets and molding. They reused mine, and I never had any leaks, but when it was hot outside the gasket would pop out a bit and I had to push it in in some places on occasion. Lessons learned. Hope this helps.
I just had my windshield replaced under State Farm and when I demanded a GM certified version ($1,400), which is $400 more than a non certified, they said 'no problem" and it was replaced. I demanded a GM version after people on this forum advised me to do so. Of course, 2 days after the installation I got another chip which will mean another windshield but I am allowed 4 per year in AZ, thank goodness.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:55 AM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Mythird1
I just had my windshield replaced under State Farm and when I demanded a GM certified version ($1,400), which is $400 more than a non certified, they said 'no problem" and it was replaced. I demanded a GM version after people on this forum advised me to do so. Of course, 2 days after the installation I got another chip which will mean another windshield but I am allowed 4 per year in AZ, thank goodness.
Good to know. Just keep in mind a 'GM Certified version' doesn't mean you will get a windshield with the GM logo on it. The genuine GM windshield from the factory will have that logo on it. I hope that was what you received.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:57 AM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

Mine took a rock two months in and it was replaced with OEM. Cost was $950. My deductible was $500 with State Farm.
Attached Images   
Old 02-26-2015, 12:05 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Default GM Logo

Originally Posted by SilverScorp
Good to know. Just keep in mind a 'GM Certified version' doesn't mean you will get a windshield with the GM logo on it. The genuine GM windshield from the factory will have that logo on it. I hope that was what you received.
Yep....here it is....
Old 02-26-2015, 03:27 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If you get it to Safelite quickly they can do wonders.

I got one on they way home on my first day of ownership.

before

After
Old 03-04-2015, 03:57 PM
Varcix
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Turns out with my crack being directly in the driver's point of view the entire windshield needs to be replaced and the company the dealer recommended was happy to order the factory GM windshield! Let's hope it gets installed with all new rubber gaskets soon!

Thanks for all the input!
Old 03-04-2015, 05:21 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Originally Posted by theanswriz42
Any reason you don't just take it to the dealer to be installed?

Get notified of new replies

To Cracked windshield

Old 03-04-2015, 06:03 PM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

A quick word of caution... There's a large cable that serves the mirror lights, PDR, OnStar, etc. that runs up the A pillar on the passenger's side, so they tell me. It can be cut while trying to cut out the glue. The labor to replace it is over $2k, plus the cost of the cable. My dealer had a car in for this problem after the owner let an after market glass company try to replace the windshield. Lots of down time, lots of parts to remove and replace to replace the cable. I'd rather have the dealer do the work. I've used Safelite before with good results but really... how many C7s could the dude have replaced before "learning" on my car? Best have the dealer do it.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:20 PM
trkdvn2
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Safelite replaced the windshield on my 2014 BMW Grand Coupe with heads up display and matched the windshield to a T. I would call them if it happened to my Stingray.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:10 PM
Along4theRide
CF Old Timer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

Safelite is just a broker, they use independent shops based on your location, so your mileage can vary greatly over the skills any one shop can have. While I have received amazing service when calling for work at my office, 50 miles away where I live, the local shop they use is just awful. Starting with missing appointments, to the total lack of skills of the technician.

When scheduling with Safelite, be sure to get the name of the underlying shop. Call them and ask about their skill level working Corvette's etc. or better yet ask them for a reference customer in your local area. I know its crazy but better safe than sorry. YMMV

Quick Reply: Cracked windshield