Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 1972 Base car restore begins.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 08:40 PM
Dean_Fuller
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

Default My 1972 Base car restore begins.

Found a clean 1972 base motor car ( original motor ) a few months ago and brought it home. Car shows no signs of accident damage in the past and doesn't appear to have had any "modifications" or "updates" done over the years. Thank goodness ! The Dark Saddle base trim interior is original but dry and crumbly. Carpet was gone when I bought the car. The car is in primer but not missing much if anything. Even has the original radio. Original color is what I have always wanted...War Bonnett Yellow. !!!
My plan is to restore to original but not to NCRS standards. Probably will use a lot of reproduction parts.
Started the tear down and have the windshield trim, glass and most of the interior out. The windshield frame has 4 quarter size rust holes but I have seen worse. Plan to remove body ( this will be my first body off ). My only REAL concern is the ORDER it will all go back together. I will have to check for a "check list" or something like that for order of rebuild.
I will try and keep this thread up to date. I am sure I will have questions.
Here are pics from when the car came home. Its runs and drives fine but I am sure it will be much better after a good refresh. The only thing that does not work is the Vacuum headlights / wiper door but I can HEAR a large leak at the tank so with the body off I will take care of that.
Attached Images      
Old 02-28-2015, 08:45 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

First in!! Looks like a good project.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:46 PM
SWO vette
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That is the twin to mine. Saddle and WB Yellow. You got good tastes. I made mine a driver but kept it stock appearing. I don't worry about alternator numbers and such as I want to enjoy it. If you need any photos or have questions let me know and I will try to help.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:14 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Your on a long road to a total restoration. Body off means you will do everything many $$$ and a ton of time. Looks like a good start though. Nice complete car.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:08 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean_Fuller
Found a clean 1972 base motor car ( original motor ) a few months ago and brought it home. Car shows no signs of accident damage in the past and doesn't appear to have had any "modifications" or "updates" done over the years. Thank goodness ! The Dark Saddle base trim interior is original but dry and crumbly. Carpet was gone when I bought the car. The car is in primer but not missing much if anything. Even has the original radio. Original color is what I have always wanted...War Bonnett Yellow. !!!
My plan is to restore to original but not to NCRS standards. Probably will use a lot of reproduction parts.
Started the tear down and have the windshield trim, glass and most of the interior out. The windshield frame has 4 quarter size rust holes but I have seen worse. Plan to remove body ( this will be my flirst body off ). My only REAL concern is the ORDER it will all go back together. I will have to check for a "check list" or something like that for order of rebuild.
Here are pics from when the car came home. Its runs and drives fine but I am sure it will be much better after a good refresh. The only thing that does not work is the Vacuum headlights / wiper door but I can HEAR a large leak at the tank so with the body off I will take care of that.
Looks like it has good bones. Having owned a 72 for the past 41 years, I'll be watching this one. Good luck!
Old 02-28-2015, 10:30 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Looks like a great car to restore! Almost makes me want to do another body-off resto. Almost.

Great choice of year also!!!

Old 03-01-2015, 06:33 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

Started the tear down and have the windshield trim, glass and most of the interior out. The windshield frame has 4 quarter size rust holes but I have seen worse. Plan to remove body ( this will be my first body off ). My only REAL concern is the ORDER it will all go back together. I will have to check for a "check list" or something like that for order of rebuild.
Hi Dean you car looks great and should be a good restore and body off project. I have a post running for body on procedure. Still in the start of it but should help when you get to that point. Keep the pictures coming and good luck getting the body off. There are many things to remove and keep track of for sure.
r
Old 03-01-2015, 06:49 AM
rvazquez
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 81 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

Thanks for saving another 72, I'll be watching this thread as well, good luck with your body off restoration, hopefully, it will be a fun journey.
Regards
Roy
Old 03-01-2015, 09:17 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Dean,
The car looks like a nice basis for what you describe!
Be prepared for it to take a LOT longer, and cost more $$$, than you think at this point.
Doing a restoration that includes removing the body from the chassis generally involves a bit more pain (literally) and heartache than you're imagining, but will also give you a lot of pleasure and satisfaction.
Be very careful about controlling parts and fasteners as you dissemble it because that will make putting it back together much easier.
Also, you can't take TOO many pictures!
Many people approach the job thinking about 4 main areas… frame and suspension, running gear (engine, transmission, rear differential), exterior, and interior. This type of separation helps with the physical work and process but also allows you to separate things in your mind so that you DON'T become overwhelmed by the amount of work.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-01-2015, 10:03 AM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

Nice WB!
Old 03-01-2015, 10:49 AM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Congratulations on the find, sure will be a beautiful car when you're finished. Good luck.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:08 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Buy about 300 heavy-duty..................

zip lok bags........

and two permanent marking pens.......

and 200 rolls of 35mm film.....LOL!
Old 03-01-2015, 01:44 PM
69mako
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

You'll have a great looking 72' when you finish up...post lots of images of the restoration please.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:52 PM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner

zip lok bags........

....except maybe some memory cards instead of the film
Old 03-01-2015, 02:04 PM
Greatsteaks
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner

zip lok bags........

What is this 35mm film you speak of?

OP, takes a lot of commitment to do what your about to do. Maybe some day I'll have the ***** to do the same.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:15 PM
Dean_Fuller
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks folks...I will stick to it. Not my first restore but is my first body off on a Corvette.

Almost all the interior is out. Windshield frame needs some work but I have seen worse.

Found some "preassembly" writing on the rear deck and passenger side trans tunnel. Any ideas what this means???
Attached Images     
Old 03-01-2015, 08:20 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

Thanks folks...I will stick to it. Not my first restore but is my first body off on a Corvette.

Almost all the interior is out. Windshield frame needs some work but I have seen worse.

Found some "preassembly" writing on the rear deck and passenger side trans tunnel. Any ideas what this means???
That's interesting . I know on my 69 the lower passenger side firewall has a #451 which I think was the assembly number and it is also on the rear panel of the cubbies. In 72 maybe it was in a different place.
r

Get notified of new replies

To My 1972 Base car restore begins.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:36 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Looks great! '72's are great!
Old 03-01-2015, 09:23 PM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

A/c is pretty obvious, and M40 means automatic transmission.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:56 PM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

That's a terrific project and awesome color combo. Glad it has found a loving home. Any engine/exhaust mods planned?

Later,

Lee

Quick Reply: My 1972 Base car restore begins.