C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Brake squeal after brake burnishing

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 11:31 AM
dcher
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Brake squeal after brake burnishing

I have a Z07 with about 1500 miles. Shortly after my 500 mile brake in period I followed the burnishing procedure as outlined in the manual. Never had a squeal at that point. However, over the last couple weeks from after having about 1000 miles on the car I have developed a fairly loud brake squeal during moderate braking that starts around 60 mph and continues almost to the point of stopping the car. If I brake very either very firmly or very gently this does not seem to happen. Only under moderate braking. Has anyone experienced this? My GTR squealed like a pig so it does not concern me too much. However, given that this occurred only after the brake burnishing I am wondering whether this is something others have experienced.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:26 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have just under 8k miles on my Z07 and during the past few days my brakes have started squealing under the same circumstances. I have not burnished them as of yet however plan on doing it very soon to see if it makes any difference.

Good luck!

Best,
Gene
Old 04-17-2015, 05:27 PM
patriotpa
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

My 5thGen Camaro SS does this sometimes since I replaced my rotors. (Brembo brakes).
Old 10-17-2018, 06:24 AM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by dcher
I have a Z07 with about 1500 miles. Shortly after my 500 mile brake in period I followed the burnishing procedure as outlined in the manual. Never had a squeal at that point. However, over the last couple weeks from after having about 1000 miles on the car I have developed a fairly loud brake squeal during moderate braking that starts around 60 mph and continues almost to the point of stopping the car. If I brake very either very firmly or very gently this does not seem to happen. Only under moderate braking. Has anyone experienced this? My GTR squealed like a pig so it does not concern me too much. However, given that this occurred only after the brake burnishing I am wondering whether this is something others have experienced.
How politically incorrect is this?: “Brakes are a little like women, some actually enjoy being treated a little rough and will complain if they aren’t”...
Old 10-17-2018, 02:08 PM
hubris140
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by dcher
This is exactly what I experienced as well. Z07 Brakes were quiet before burnishing. Did burnishing according to instructions in manual. Now the brakes wont shut up unless its a really hard stop. I brought it up on here a couple weeks back but I was told this is normal and to live with it. I took this up with a local dealer and was given the same line.

Recently on a google search I came across this TSB : http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...2017-1327.html. (the solution is to add some copper paste). Haven't heard much about anyone who has gotten the TSB applied to their car or if the fix works.

I will ask the dealer about this when I go there in a few weeks for an oil change.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:44 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinaldo Catria

How politically incorrect is this?: “Brakes are a little like women, some actually enjoy being treated a little rough and will complain if they aren’t”...
You dug up a 3.5 year old thread to comment on political correctness? Wow thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Brake squeal after brake burnishing

Quick Reply: Brake squeal after brake burnishing