C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Power Seat not working

Old 05-05-2015, 04:04 PM
martyandlisa
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Power Seat not working

I just purchased a 2005 Corvette. When we were looking at the car we discovered the driver's power seat was not working, but the passenger seat was working. So, I knew it was not a bad fuse. The seat is pushed back and my wife cannot drive the car because she cannot reach the pedals. ( it might a good thing she can't drive it, but don't tell her that I said that) Anyway.... I just got the car home so I have not done any troubleshooting at all. Anybody have any experience with this problem? Any advice on where to look first? When I push the switch to move the seat is no noise or movement from the seat motor. Thanks!
Old 05-05-2015, 06:00 PM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Probably wanted to post this in the C6 subforum, not C7

I reported the post, they'll probably move it for ya soon
Old 05-05-2015, 09:31 PM
martyandlisa
7th Gear

Yes, I did post it in the wrong section. Thanks!
Old 05-05-2015, 09:41 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The first thing to check is the wires under the drivers seat. I zip tied all of mine as shown. Make sure the connectors are tight and no broken wires.

The following users liked this post:
CaptBuddy (01-20-2023)
Old 05-06-2015, 02:23 AM
Burlbark
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this problem when I got my car. The Seat foam suspension wires where cutting into the heat element insulation and causing the fuse to pop in the passenger foot well. I pulled my seat and the bottom foam and put multiple layers of canvas over the suspension wires and glued the seat foam back together. Fixed my problem. However I did have front and back movement on my seat, just no power adjustments for comfort.

Do you have power lumbar and bolsters?
Old 05-06-2015, 07:27 AM
martyandlisa
7th Gear

Thanks for the information. Yes I do have lumbar and bolsters. They both work. As I mentioned before the passenger seat works so I know the problem is isolated to the driver's side. So, maybe it is a lose connection or broken wire. I am going to remove the seat today and I am sure I will figure it out.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:16 PM
Burlbark
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by martyandlisa
Thanks for the information. Yes I do have lumbar and bolsters. They both work. As I mentioned before the passenger seat works so I know the problem is isolated to the driver's side. So, maybe it is a lose connection or broken wire. I am going to remove the seat today and I am sure I will figure it out.
The passenger and driver seats do not share all the same power supply. There is an individual fuse for the seats in the passenger foot well. However I think this only applies to seat heaters and compressor.

They may also be on a separate fuse for the slider, I just dont know.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:56 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by martyandlisa
It's possibly a wire issue.
I checked the wiring diagrams for the power seats and lumbar, and they are on different circuits.

The main 30A Power Seats/Memory Seats circuit feeds the driver and the passenger power seat functions.

The Driver lumbar is fed from the 20A Driver Heated seat circuit breaker.
The Passenger lumbar is fed from the 20A Passenger Heated Seat circuit breaker.

Here are pics of the driver switch connector on the side of the seat. You may be able to see this when you remove the seat to check the under seat wiring harness as well.
Check this connector and wires, and also the connector and wires under the driver seat.

TMODcustoms (01-19-2023)
Old 05-16-2015, 02:41 PM
martyandlisa
7th Gear

[QUOTE=LV2TOUR;1589579029] It's possibly a wire issue.
I checked the wiring diagrams for the power seats and lumbar, and they are on different circuits.

The main 30A Power Seats/Memory Seats circuit feeds the driver and the passenger power seat functions.

Here are pics of the driver switch connector on the side of the seat. You may be able to see this when you remove the seat to check the under seat wiring harness as well.
Check this connector and wires, and also the connector and wires under the driver seat.

Thanks for the pics. I managed to get to the switch, and no wires seem to be loose or broken. I have no idea what the wiring is so I cannot check the wiring to see if I am getting voltage or ground etc. I checked the switch with an ohm meter and it seems to be working.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:28 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=martyandlisa;1589642810]
Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
It's possibly a wire issue.

Thanks for the pics. I managed to get to the switch, and no wires seem to be loose or broken. I have no idea what the wiring is so I cannot check the wiring to see if I am getting voltage or ground etc. I checked the switch with an ohm meter and it seems to be working.
Your very welcome. I do have all the C6 wiring diagrams on a PDF file, including the electrical seat functions and color coded wires to boot.
Send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll sent it to you pronto.
At least you can see which color wire controls what function.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:48 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

I've added the seat electrical circuits to this thread
They are in a word Document, so not as clear or expandable like the PDF file.
If you need the PDF files, PM me.

Hope it helps.

Attached Files
File Type: docx
C6 driver seat circuit.docx (63.1 KB, 873 views)
C6 Power seat circuit.docx (48.3 KB, 481 views)
C6 lumbar seat circuit.docx (54.6 KB, 276 views)
TMODcustoms (01-19-2023)
Old 05-16-2015, 04:57 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

PDF file sent via e-mail

Good Luck
If you find the problem, please let us know what it was

Thanks,
Paul
Old 05-16-2015, 05:01 PM
martyandlisa
7th Gear

Yes, I will take pics and post it on here. I am sure I am not the only person that experienced this problem.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:10 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

The seat is very close to the floor and so the large connectors have very little room to flex when the seat is moved fore and aft. Many things can be disturbed when there are connection issues...airbags being the number one problem. But any of the circuits contained in these big connectors can be affected when they are squeezed and pulled by repeated movement of the seat. The big connector is far and away the most likely spot causing the problem. All airbag related connectors on the car are bright yellow so it is likely the other connector that is the one that has a loose connection. To start, pull the connector and carefully inspect the wires, spray a bit of contact cleaner on it and try it again. While the problem may go deeper than this, it makes sense to try the most likely remedy first. When we hear hoofbeats, it makes sense to look first for horses, and only after seeing no horses, to start looking for zebras.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:44 AM
Porxter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have probably fixed your seat by now, but if not check my thread out.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...g-diagram.html

Numerous people have had the same problem as mine, which was the main power and ground wires going to the Seat Control Module under the seat get broken.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:23 AM
615C6
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porxter
You have probably fixed your seat by now, but if not check my thread out.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-
performance/3614231-need-2005-c6-driver-seat-memory-module-wiring-diagram.html

Numerous people have had the same problem as mine, which was the main power and ground wires going to the Seat Control Module under the seat get broken.
Agreed! I had the exact same wires broken on my driver seat. Also the same symptoms your having. Re attached wires in the connector and all has been good since.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:36 AM
gumbisdad
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Driver seat wont move forward or back

I had the same issue on a 2005 and it was a bad seat control module. Lumbar worked but seat would not move. I could not get back bolts out of seat and found a thread where someone cut the wires to the motor and hooked it up to a battery charger. Worked like a charm to get seat out.
TMODcustoms (01-19-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 Power Seat not working

Old 05-23-2018, 02:39 PM
05Coupe
Heel & Toe

Weird seat problem on my 2005. My power driver seat won't move while I'm sitting in it. If I get out or lift off the seat it works fine. Strange thing is the telescopic steering wheel won't work when I'm sitting in the seat either. Works fine when I get out.
BTW, I only weigh 163lbs. lol.

Last edited by 05Coupe; 05-23-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:01 PM
01Z06 Black
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 05Coupe
Weird seat problem on my 2005. My power driver seat won't move while I'm sitting in it. If I get out or lift off the seat it works fine. Strange thing is the telescopic steering wheel won't work when I'm sitting in the seat either. Works fine when I get out.
BTW, I only weigh 163lbs. lol.
Try this.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...seat-inop.html
Old 01-19-2023, 04:24 PM
tbevins
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone has found any other issues that have not been mentioned that cause the seat to work fine in every way except for moving fwd\rwd? I have read everything I could find on the forum and this is what I know so far. . .
I replaced the seat switch, figured that was the problem right off the bat. I guess it's possible that I received and installed a bad new switch but I'm assuming that's not the case for now. No change with the new switch.
When I move the switch fwd\rwd I can feel the seat motor get power, it tries to move but just flexes a little and holds like it's jammed.
I have the seat out of the car and have checked the following for signs of a short, broken wire, etc.:

Connectors in the car \ on the seat, the power connector to the module, connector to the motor are both fine, all other connectors and pins look fine. I have good continuity back and forth on the power wires to and from the motor, module, seat switch. I can power the motor directly and it will move the tracks both ways just fine. I can also power the connector from the module, bypassing the module basically and the motor runs and moves the track just fine. Makes me think the module is bad. I opened it up and looked at all the traces and joints, they look fine, no bulging caps, everything looks brand new, including the pins out to and the connectors.
Does anyone have experience with these modules? I'm not a pro but it looks to be in very good shape.
Anyone find any other issues that stop the seat from moving fwd\rwd? I have pulled a ton of change out from under the seat, from the previous owner. I originally thought it was a penny or something jammed in the tracks but the tracks\motor move just fine when hotwired out of the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Power Seat not working