C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BTR PD Stage 3 cam

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 08:16 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 808 Likes on 532 Posts

Default BTR PD Stage 3 cam

so i've alluded to this cam in a couple other threads, but figured i should just go ahead & make my own for specific discussion.

so the Brian Tooley Positive Displacement Stage III blower cam:
231/248 .617"/.595" 120+5
http://www.briantooleyracing.com/btr...-camshaft.html

my plans for the car (for those who don't know: 00 FRC, stock LS1, TVS2300, ARH 1 7/8"LTs & 3"mids @ 9-11psi depending on where i was living at the time) are to eventually forge the bottom, port the heads (either the current 853s or milled 817s) & blower manifold, add meth, & run ~15psi... shooting for 700+ to the ground. uses are mountain fun, weekend play, & occasional road course (obviously getting farther from the last one with that much power).

through previous cam discussions i've had, i got to looking through some off-the-shelf cams in that neighborhood and found the BTR Stage2 PD cam. it seems pretty good, but i'd like more chop & more top-end, so i asked them about cutting it with some extra overlap & they said the Stage3 was exactly that (same valve events with -0.5° overlap instead of -9.5°) and said that's what they'd recommend based on my goals. it's been a real beast & had amazing results in a ton of LS9s and LSAs, but for 6 months, i ain't been able to find nobody using one in something as small as an LS1. i'm just making sure it ain't too big for part-throttle drivability given my 30ci deficit from the 6.2 it was designed around. i know the guys at BTR are some smart dudes & know their stuff - i'd just like some outside opinions before i end up going with it & having to do something else later (i know... it's difficult enjoying doing stuff outside the box but hating to do stuff twice!). granted, one trend i've noticed from cam swaps is guys regretting not going big enough the first time
(i just don't want to lose my virginity to an African gangbang, you know?)
thoughts?

and here's a belt-slipping 10psi dyno run for reference

Last edited by _zebra; 05-07-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:12 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by _zebra
so i've alluded to this cam in a couple other threads, but figured i should just go ahead & make my own for specific discussion.

so the Brian Tooley Positive Displacement Stage III blower cam:
231/248 .617"/.595" 120+5
http://www.briantooleyracing.com/btr...-camshaft.html

my plans for the car (for those who don't know: 00 FRC, stock LS1, TVS2300, ARH 1 7/8"LTs & 3"mids @ 9-11psi depending on where i was living at the time) are to eventually forge the bottom, port the heads (either the current 853s or milled 817s) & blower manifold, add meth, & run ~15psi... shooting for 700+ to the ground. uses are mountain fun, weekend play, & occasional road course (obviously getting farther from the last one with that much power).

through previous cam discussions i've had, i got to looking through some off-the-shelf cams in that neighborhood and found the BTR Stage2 PD cam. it seems pretty good, but i'd like more chop & more top-end, so i asked them about cutting it with some extra overlap & they said the Stage3 was exactly that (same valve events with -0.5° overlap instead of -9.5°) and said that's what they'd recommend based on my goals. it's been a real beast & had amazing results in a ton of LS9s and LSAs, but for 6 months, i ain't been able to find nobody using one in something as small as an LS1. i'm just making sure it ain't too big for part-throttle drivability given my 30ci deficit from the 6.2 it was designed around. i know the guys at BTR are some smart dudes & know their stuff - i'd just like some outside opinions before i end up going with it & having to do something else later (i know... it's difficult enjoying doing stuff outside the box but hating to do stuff twice!). granted, one trend i've noticed from cam swaps is guys regretting not going big enough the first time
(i just don't want to lose my virginity to an African gangbang, you know?)
thoughts?

and here's a belt-slipping 10psi dyno run for reference
It'll be fine. I've run the TSP MS4 with a Maggie before 18.5 deg overlap and it ran good down low. I wouldn't hesitate to get a cam with only -.5.

Let me know if I can help.

Offering products from A&A Superchargers, East Coast Superchargers, Mechman Alternators, Mantic clutches, RPS clutches, Kooks Headers, Lakewood, LG, Brian Tooley Racing, Comp Cams, FAST, ARP, UPP Turbo systems, Wiseco, Callies, K1, MAST Motorsports, Haltech and many more. PM me for details.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:59 PM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-problem.html

Mate , Brett didn't have a problem with it , and Martin at tick was real helpful and said it should be easy to tune .

So I had to pursue it , it is at a new tuner as we speak and seems more than capable , no real info right now, hope to have it back by next Saturday .

Think my prob is just down to the tune , does sound good at idle prior to sooting up the plugs lol.

Have had to wait 3months tuner is real busy , which I'd like to think is a good thing
Cheers bud
Old 05-09-2015, 12:21 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

thanks, guys. Nitro: i totally didn't realize before that you're running this cam (granted, you've also got some extra cubes). and i agree with that thread - i've seen a number of LS3/A/9 cars idling below 1000 just fine. mine should be a little easier to tune, too, since i've only got some Seimens 60s

and Bret, didn't you say before that that MS4/blower combo was terrible? or was it just that it didn't really make the power a smaller, better-suited cam did?

i ain't really concerned with the overlap - it's more the longer durations on the smaller bore with the extra load of the blower, that's all... but if y'all don't see an issue with it, i might just pull the trigger when i get home from the desert.

Last edited by _zebra; 05-09-2015 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:23 AM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Morning mate
Could try over on the Cadillac forum, few guys running that cam.

Will let you know what's what with mine asap.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:14 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by _zebra
thanks, guys. Nitro: i totally didn't realize before that you're running this cam (granted, you've also got some extra cubes). and i agree with that thread - i've seen a number of LS3/A/9 cars idling below 1000 just fine. mine should be a little easier to tune, too, since i've only got some Seimens 60s

and Bret, didn't you say before that that MS4/blower combo was terrible? or was it just that it didn't really make the power a smaller, better-suited cam did?

i ain't really concerned with the overlap - it's more the longer durations on the smaller bore with the extra load of the blower, that's all... but if y'all don't see an issue with it, i might just pull the trigger when i get home from the desert.
You're correct. Someone did the MS4 cam and was making abnormal power. I went from a small Lingenfelter cam (something like 209/221 on a 121 LSA ) to the MS4, degreed it in, changed to a OD crank pulley, pushed AFR's and timing around on the dyno all day to make sure I wasn't leaving anything on the table, and even with the larger crank pulley I lost power. I'm not going to tell you the BTR cam is the same because the IVO/C and EVO/C are much different and that can make a heck of a difference.
RKT56 is a BTR dealer. Let me know if I can help when you return.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:44 PM
BLWN1
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I'll buy it if you don't like it... Pulley it some more and should be a monster
Old 05-16-2015, 02:52 PM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BLWN1
I'll buy it if you don't like it... Pulley it some more and should be a monster
Get your wallet out Zebra that's a great deal

BLWN1 , thanks bud given me more hope , I'm at around 14lbs ,if we can get a good tune I'll let you know monster wise
Old 05-19-2015, 09:04 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

well... awesome news! i'll be deploying again early next year for another 6 months, so it looks like i'd be better off tabling this one for another year :eyes:

Nitro, i still wanna see how yours comes out. did you ever hear more about that Monkfish cam?
Old 05-21-2015, 02:36 AM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Hey bud yeah will let you know . When my first tuner suggested my cam was to big I did enquire about a monkfish cam mainly just to compare spec. Seems they do stage 1, 2, etc I couldn't find the actual numbers think their a bit secretive ,was going to phone them but then got info on the btr cam from this forum seems it might be tune related so have persued the btr cam .

Haven't heard much from new tuner only to say PCM seems lock but fortunatle he had a spare so installed and car is running .

Can try and get spec on the monkfish cams if your interested.

The wait is doing my head in

Cheers mate
Old 05-27-2015, 08:38 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

i can imagine... your car's been down forever, it seems. i know it kills me seeing mine sit in the garage for over half the year due to weather.

i found the monkfish shop's website, but from a quick skim-through, it seems like they play the "just trust me, it works" card a lot with all those packages you can have them install.

anyway, one thing i was trying to avoid is not having enough vacuum down low, but then again, guys run N/A LS1s with bigger cams than this without extra pumps. also, the rough dynamic compression numbers i ran (which were really just more of a WAG without the .006 numbers for this cam or stock) weren't much lower than i have now & would almost even out if i ever get to forge & crank up to 15psi or so.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:40 AM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Hi mate, FYI original tuner had initial idle at 850rpm and I had 12 ish in hg
Vac , at some point he up'd the idle to 1000rpm which did raise the vac to 15 , if that makes sense . We did look into possible vac leaks but reckon it's the nature of the cam .

Really would be handy if my car gets done right now just to get you the info .

Think I need to bug the new tuner again , well thats if the mrs doesn't shoot me first

Old 09-12-2017, 12:39 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

well, here we go again!
i'm finally back in TX (only a weekend trip away from my tuner instead of half a country), and i got to looking at mods again for next summer - funny how more important life things always put toys on the back burner, right? plan's still roughly the same: port the blower/heads, OD crank, meth kit, and cam (along with a finally-not-stock clutch, probably an RST).

so BTR's got a couple additions to their PD lineup: a Stage4 (235/252 .629/.600 119+5, sweet holy Moses!) and one strikingly similar to the one in the OP i spent about a half hour discussing with him a couple years ago, the Stage3 Torque (223/246 .610/.600 117+6).

i ain't talked to Brian about it since then, but this new S3T cam sounds like it might be cash money for my car. it's right close to some rough cam suggestions from a couple guys on here, and i'm willing to bet it'd sound like a boss if i could get a 600-700ish idle out of it. website says it sacrifices a little top end vs the regular S3, but that's fine since i'd stop winding around 6000 or so anyway.
anybody seen/heard anything about this cam? i can't find nothing on it to save my life outside of the BTR product page.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:40 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

ps - Nitro, please tell me your car's running by now
Old 09-13-2017, 05:47 PM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Seen a ctsv on 15psi make 670 at the wheels with 91 octane with the stage 1 BTR.
Ported heads, Stage 1 BTR cam, 5" intake, 102 TB and headers.

I have never been disappointed with the results of one of his cams. Tell him what you want and it will be right.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:15 PM
silver408z
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Good luck in the cam quest! I know I the N/A world cathedral port heads use different cams than square port heads. Before you buy, I would make sure they know what heads are on your car.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:23 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

oh dang, that completely slipped my cross-check... sounds like they might have to end up grinding something custom regardless.

Get notified of new replies

To BTR PD Stage 3 cam

Old 09-21-2017, 02:47 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

whats the idea behind having shorter duration/higher lift on the intake side and longer duration/lower lift on the exhaust?
Old 09-21-2017, 05:42 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

scavenging the exh from the blower

you can cram it in, but ya gotta get it out

the exh side needs all the help it can get on a blower car
Old 09-21-2017, 06:12 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

sure, but lower lift scavenges the exhaust?

Quick Reply: BTR PD Stage 3 cam