C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed! - Rear + Headliner Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 01:44 AM
Desmo999
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fixed! - Rear + Headliner Rattles

My 2016 Z06 was pretty quiet for the first 100 miles, but then started developing the dreaded "rear passenger area rattle" as others have noted. On top of this, it would also squeak continuously when going over rougher pavement when the suspension was in track mode.

It was easy to silence the rattles by pressing on the roof trim on the passenger side, or by having a passenger hold a hand on the interior panel on the right rear.

As I was planning to install a Sharkbar, I was pulling out all the rear interior panels anyway for access during the install, and discovered both an assembly issue and came up with a way to "dampen" the roof liner squeak.

NOTE: If you attempt this on your own too, buy a set of trim removal tools. You can use your hands, but some good plastic tools really save your fingers.

Problem #1 - Factory rear window rub strips are WEAK and tiny!

After removing the rear interior panels around the windows, there was an obvious wear area on the body around the passenger side window.

Name:  RearWearMark.jpg
Views: 9644
Size:  2.20 MB

Looking at the interior panel, the factory put in tiny little rub strips and one had already slipped out of position. One strip was even missing on the driver side.

Name:  Right - OutOfPosition.jpg
Views: 9114
Size:  1.83 MB

Name:  Left - MissingTape.jpg
Views: 8919
Size:  1.83 MB

FIX: I cut strips of the "fuzzy" side of velcro to use as stronger rub strips and added some additional. Thanks to others on the forum for this suggestion when chasing other rattles - the velcro had much stronger adhesive than the tiny factory strips.

TIP: The rear clip on the interior trim seems to always separate on removal (all the rest just seem to pop out fine). Be sure to look for it and reattach before reinstalling the panel (and check others for good measure).

Problem #2 - The squeak from the upper roof trim

Since pressing on the interior trim seemed to silence the squeak, I decided to dampen/stabilize things a bit by adding some adhesive foam on existing "stand offs" on the roof bar. I just cut them to size from automotive grade weather stripping.

FIX: 1" pads on the stand offs, and strips on the "edges" of the panels that flex and come in close contact with the roof structure.

Name:  StandOff.jpg
Views: 8588
Size:  1.15 MB

Name:  StandOffFoam.jpg
Views: 8568
Size:  1.15 MB

Name:  TopFoam.jpg
Views: 9166
Size:  1.77 MB

So far, so good! With the interior back together, not a single squeak or rattle.
The following 6 users liked this post by Desmo999:
JackTripper (11-05-2015), John Micheal Henry (02-08-2018), LT4CMG (05-30-2017), petepd (08-30-2017), ryryokeefe (01-27-2017), tony abbski (02-04-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-28-2015, 01:54 AM
Desmo999
Intermediate

Here's one extra shot of the rear window trim panel with some arrows showing where the rub strips are located on the bottom edge of the window surround.

Name:  RearPanelOut.jpg
Views: 8332
Size:  2.47 MB
The following users liked this post:
2019 ZR1 (11-04-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 03:33 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

This is a GREAT guide!!
Old 11-07-2015, 08:37 AM
Stentplacer
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

2015 Z06.....2000 miles ....this just started yesterday. It's driving me nuts!
Is this something the dealer will fix????
Right rear passenger window creak
Old 11-07-2015, 01:43 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,013 Likes on 365 Posts

I had those panels on/off a dozen times trying to find a "buzz" that only occurred over 65 mph after 15 minutes.

Finally found it coming from the 1/4 " gap between the small side window glass and the body. I have no clue what was causing it because the window is glued in place. I stuff the gap with a strip of hard wood strip wrapped in fuzzy Velcro. Very strange.

I found the window trim was not fused to the back side of the large trim panel. I added a lot of silicone sealant where the 2 pieces meet.

I also added insulation on the back side of these trim panels and halo.

There a many places where plastic trim rubs against a hard surfaces that rattles and buzzes start. The fuzzy Velcro fixes most. Takes a lot of patients to find and solve them.
The following users liked this post:
tony abbski (02-04-2017)
Old 11-07-2015, 08:11 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,071 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Thanks for this great thread
Old 01-21-2017, 11:42 PM
Vikram Talware
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Stentplacer
2015 Z06.....2000 miles ....this just started yesterday. It's driving me nuts!
Is this something the dealer will fix????
Right rear passenger window creak
Did you got yours fixed by the dealer?
Old 01-23-2017, 10:01 AM
fredmills
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My dealer fixed a dash rattle when car was out of warranty at no charge. Tech was very knowledgeable and found in 15 minutes. Give it a try.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:22 AM
Vikram Talware
7th Gear

That's Great, I've the rattle near the passenger side rear window..
Old 01-23-2017, 02:27 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Thank you for this thread. I have had the annoying rattles/squeak for almost as long as I've owned the car. Dealer has replaced panels with varying success but still not perfect.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:01 PM
ryryokeefe
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts

Mine has the very same rattles/buzzes and has been bothering me for months. Seeing this inspired me to go to war on mine as well.

One question for you; is the quarter window trim simply held with clips?
Old 01-27-2017, 01:49 PM
Vikram Talware
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ryryokeefe
Mine has the very same rattles/buzzes and has been bothering me for months. Seeing this inspired me to go to war on mine as well.

One question for you; is the quarter window trim simply held with clips?
If you happen to do it on your own can you please post a video? Also, i've the same question about the quarter window trim panel.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:00 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

I'm getting a squeak noise from this area as well. Can anyone post a bit more info on how to get this panel off?
Old 03-24-2017, 01:06 PM
Desmo999
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
I'm getting a squeak noise from this area as well. Can anyone post a bit more info on how to get this panel off?
I used this video as a reference in the past when I was doing my harness bar install. It'll show how to remove the side panel around the window:

As others noted too - the most likely cause is the fit around the small rear windows. The weak "rub strips" I pointed out in my original post were my primary cause of noise.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:14 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

^^^
Much appreciated
Old 05-30-2017, 10:27 PM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I'm resurrecting this thread. I have the overhead panel squeak and its driving me nuts. Question- how do you get the panel off? Does it just pull down from the clips? The rear clips seem pretty easy but the ones to the front are a bitch and I'm afraid of breaking something. Question posted in C7 general as well with no replies.

Originally Posted by Desmo999
My 2016 Z06 was pretty quiet for the first 100 miles, but then started developing the dreaded "rear passenger area rattle" as others have noted. On top of this, it would also squeak continuously when going over rougher pavement when the suspension was in track mode.

It was easy to silence the rattles by pressing on the roof trim on the passenger side, or by having a passenger hold a hand on the interior panel on the right rear.

As I was planning to install a Sharkbar, I was pulling out all the rear interior panels anyway for access during the install, and discovered both an assembly issue and came up with a way to "dampen" the roof liner squeak.

NOTE: If you attempt this on your own too, buy a set of trim removal tools. You can use your hands, but some good plastic tools really save your fingers.

Problem #1 - Factory rear window rub strips are WEAK and tiny!

After removing the rear interior panels around the windows, there was an obvious wear area on the body around the passenger side window.

Attachment 47918968

Looking at the interior panel, the factory put in tiny little rub strips and one had already slipped out of position. One strip was even missing on the driver side.

Attachment 47918969

Attachment 47918970

FIX: I cut strips of the "fuzzy" side of velcro to use as stronger rub strips and added some additional. Thanks to others on the forum for this suggestion when chasing other rattles - the velcro had much stronger adhesive than the tiny factory strips.

TIP: The rear clip on the interior trim seems to always separate on removal (all the rest just seem to pop out fine). Be sure to look for it and reattach before reinstalling the panel (and check others for good measure).

Problem #2 - The squeak from the upper roof trim

Since pressing on the interior trim seemed to silence the squeak, I decided to dampen/stabilize things a bit by adding some adhesive foam on existing "stand offs" on the roof bar. I just cut them to size from automotive grade weather stripping.

FIX: 1" pads on the stand offs, and strips on the "edges" of the panels that flex and come in close contact with the roof structure.

Attachment 47918971

Attachment 47918972

Attachment 47918973

So far, so good! With the interior back together, not a single squeak or rattle.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:33 AM
Clifftrail
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Zap City
I'm resurrecting this thread. I have the overhead panel squeak and its driving me nuts. Question- how do you get the panel off? Does it just pull down from the clips? The rear clips seem pretty easy but the ones to the front are a bitch and I'm afraid of breaking something. Question posted in C7 general as well with no replies.

They are all push in clips, the ones on the front are just a little stronger. Mine were yellow colored and if I remember right there are 3-4. Use a long screwdriver or similar tool so you can gently pry down on the front while using the screwdriver to get next to these clips and wedge them out. I managed to do this to all of those without breaking them. If you try and force them they will probably snap. GL.

Get notified of new replies

To Fixed! - Rear + Headliner Rattles

Old 05-31-2017, 11:55 AM
Desmo999
Intermediate

I used a set of trim removal tools as well... They're plastic and won't mar surfaces as much and are easy to slide in to reach clips..

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-31-2017, 09:01 PM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks for the tips. Looking forward to 86ing these ******* rattles.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:23 PM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13

Pulled the panel with a nice firm tug. Found this- two missing clips on the right side from the factory. QC must have been sleeping that day.

Quick Reply: Fixed! - Rear + Headliner Rattles