Sponsored by:

Catch Can from Corvette Mod's installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 05:50 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Catch Can from Corvette Mod's installed

A lot of debate on this issue and if you are fine with the oil getting in your intake then this mod isnt for you. Different engines, different year, wet sump-not wet-sump, superchargers etc..... I don't need to get into a debate about whether there is actually oil in the intake its just there (your car-your year-your model maybe its not but mine for sure). 2016 stingray non-z51
Does it really cause issues? certainly no good can from oil being in the intake building up on the back of the valves hurting flow and of course spark plugs burning oil isn't a great idea either. And for the average daily driver who isn't into top performance because he may never see it anyway then I would say this would be a waste of money for you.

But not from me, oil in the intake for me is bad. I got this one thru corvette mod's its from elite engineering I believe and wrapped the lines to look pretty factory-ish. Simple to do and a nice little kit from Corvette mod's. be safe, paul
The following 2 users liked this post by HANNY:
Glennm27 (11-07-2017), JerryU (11-12-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 07:17 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I've got one on my C5 and it does catch oil that would normally end up in the intake. For me, it was worth the price. Good looking install on your C7.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:42 AM
MikeinAZ
Burning Brakes

Received 411 Likes on 251 Posts

I just put mine on this week as well, for me it was cheap insurance and their was oil in my manifold and on my throttle body so I removed it, cleaned it and the manifold as good as I could w/out removing it. Hard to say if the oil is from the factory overfill, from the PCV design or both but the catch can is cheap insurance.

I got the next stage up which adds another hose you screw into the intake snorkel as well as a separate cap for the dry sump (clean side) which reroutes the pcv path at full throttle so any oil 'burped' into the intake has to go thru a filter of sorts within the cap and prevents it from going straight into the intake snorkel. That is where I found my oil initially after buying the car. I'm like you, any oil I can catch is oil that did not make it to the valves. The new Camaro w/ our engine has one standard on it now, go figure.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:49 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,150 Likes on 2,249 Posts

Originally Posted by HANNY
A lot of debate on this issue and if you are fine with the oil getting in your intake then this mod isnt for you. Different engines, different year, wet sump-not wet-sump, superchargers etc..... I don't need to get into a debate about whether there is actually oil in the intake its just there (your car-your year-your model maybe its not but mine for sure). 2016 stingray non-z51
Does it really cause issues? certainly no good can from oil being in the intake building up on the back of the valves hurting flow and of course spark plugs burning oil isn't a great idea either. And for the average daily driver who isn't into top performance because he may never see it anyway then I would say this would be a waste of money for you.

But not from me, oil in the intake for me is bad. I got this one thru corvette mod's its from elite engineering I believe and wrapped the lines to look pretty factory-ish. Simple to do and a nice little kit from Corvette mod's. be safe, paul

Did you relocate the power steering ground wire to one another location or bolt it under the catch can?

BTW, did you remove the plenum cover and fuel rail cover in order remove the OEM (small) hose from the PVC/Intake manifold?
Old 11-12-2015, 03:30 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
Did you relocate the power steering ground wire to one another location or bolt it under the catch can?

BTW, did you remove the plenum cover and fuel rail cover in order remove the OEM (small) hose from the PVC/Intake manifold?
FWIW, I moved the ground wire to the bolt just to the front of the car and replaced the bolt with a stud. Makes it easier to remove the can when cleaning or when flushing the stainless ribbon material with solvent.
I removed the fasteners on the plenum cover and wedged it up in the front for better access to the PVC valve connection and to take pictures. Could not use my deep mm socket since it was just slightly too shallow and the **** on the fastener end that holds the fuel rail cover would not fit thru the 3/8 inch drive socket. Used an open end wrench and fortunately after less than a turn they came off with my fingers.

Last edited by JerryU; 11-12-2015 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:08 AM
CaptK_Ret
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a un-used oil catch can for a C5. I installed on my C7 with no problems. Don't get sucked in buying a $100.00 plus "C7" catch can. Just make sure the catch can is not empty... must have some kind of filler to grab the oil. I used stainless steel pot scratcher($1.00 at Dollar General).
Old 08-31-2017, 11:03 AM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

I'm curious as to if you've taken you car in for dealer service of any kind with the can in place?

If so, did the dealer mention it at all?

Old 09-04-2017, 09:43 AM
CaptK_Ret
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Catch can from Corvette Mod's installed

Originally Posted by tcinla
I'm curious as to if you've taken you car in for dealer service of any kind with the can in place?

Not yet. I just got the C7 three weeks ago. I plan on leaving it on when I take it in for an oil change. If they mention to take it off, I'll remove it before taking it in for future maintenance. It was a 20-30 minute install; so to un-install would be 5-10 minutes. When installing, just take the wing cover off on the driver side, and take the long retaining bolts out (the ones holding the wing in place) and prop the engine cover up at the TB for easier access to hose clamps ( I used a small block of 2x4 wood).
Old 09-17-2017, 09:11 AM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

The topic of cheap cans being as good as expensive cans comes up from time to time, with people that invested in 'top of the line' championing their brand vs. those more budget driven claiming good-enough results.

some guys just come on here with a sales pitch or paragraphs of jargon. not me.

To cut through the haze and BS I offer free bench-marking of any type catch can submitted to me in a minimum of 3 key performance areas.

oil catching efficiency - how much is caught from a dispensed amount
back-pressure test - airflow capability for a given crankcase pressure
capacity - how much the can holds until the catching efficiency drops below 50%

Along with this free test I relay the same results for my product, and I can even video the test procedure, or do cans back to back so you can see what I do is not a smoke and mirror job.

The data never lies.
#mmsolutions
Six time NMCA True Street Champions

Home of the first Twin Turbo C7Z 7.81 @ 176
3470# Stock bottom end and heads Corvette Stock Bottom End Record Holder
The following users liked this post:
vettetwo (11-08-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 09:18 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,150 Likes on 2,249 Posts

Checked my catch can after our recent 2600 mile road trip. Got a fair amount of oil in it and what I like even more is none of exhaust tips had any carbon build up, no black residue.

Big CC fan 👍

Old 09-22-2017, 11:57 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by David@MMS
The topic of cheap cans being as good as expensive cans comes up from time to time, with people that invested in 'top of the line' championing their brand vs. those more budget driven claiming good-enough results.

some guys just come on here with a sales pitch or paragraphs of jargon. not me.

To cut through the haze and BS I offer free bench-marking of any type catch can submitted to me in a minimum of 3 key performance areas.

oil catching efficiency - how much is caught from a dispensed amount
back-pressure test - airflow capability for a given crankcase pressure
capacity - how much the can holds until the catching efficiency drops below 50%

Along with this free test I relay the same results for my product, and I can even video the test procedure, or do cans back to back so you can see what I do is not a smoke and mirror job.

The data never lies.
With you David one of the other guys in here can talk a big ton of crap. He got me on one in the c5. I sent him pic's I then was told he would make it good that he had fixed the problem with that can. Told me he would pay me back my $, plus send me a new one that he had fixed the problem for free if I keep my mouth shut.

That just ran all over me told him I wouldn't put nothing from him on my car to send me my $$ after that he never done nothing no $$ are a new can. Robert
Old 11-07-2017, 07:32 PM
mbaessler
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Hanny, bought a 2017 wet sump Corvette. Thinking about putting the same Elite Catch Can on my Vehicle. A question I have. Can you reach under the catch can unscrew it and empty it without removing the whole can? The one on my Challenger allowed me to do that.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:37 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,496 Likes on 1,893 Posts

Originally Posted by tcinla

Yes, both my Camaro (NPP exhaust issue once, replaced front struts another, injector issue the third time).

Corvette had a defective AC compressor replaced at 1,000 miles.

Two different dealers, not one word.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:27 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

A dealer doesn't give a flying flip what you've done to modify your car if it's in for a completely unrelated warranty repair or just normal maintenance. Mods only become an issue when the dealer has to obtain GM's for approval for warranty repair of a component or system that has been modified by the owner.

They're not going to say a word about a tune, owner-installed bolt-on blower, or catch can if they're fixing your HVAC. All a service department cares about is getting paid, either by GM in the case of warranty repairs, or by the customer. They couldn't care less about anything else.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
cowboy casey (11-08-2017), vettetwo (11-08-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 11:17 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,496 Likes on 1,893 Posts

^^^ True, can't prove or disprove your point unless actual engine related warranty coverage is required. I was answering his question of "any kind of service though".

Can GM try to weasel out of replacing the engine if the oil pump goes causing severe damage and they see a catch can installed? Anything is possible. Are the worries of the one incident from a couple years ago on another forum that has been cut and pasted on every forum since then overblown? Oh you bet. Maybe one day we'll have a beer together somewhere and talk about some of the missing pieces there.
The following 2 users liked this post by LT4CMG:
Foosh (11-07-2017), JerryU (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 05:27 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mbaessler
Hanny, bought a 2017 wet sump Corvette. Thinking about putting the same Elite Catch Can on my Vehicle. A question I have. Can you reach under the catch can unscrew it and empty it without removing the whole can? The one on my Challenger allowed me to do that.
Just answering your specific question - not debating the need or warranty question. See first paragraph in my post 5 of this thread!

I find it easier to unbolt the can, then remove/replace the lower portion of my Elite can. Makes it easier to screw it back on with it raised and tilted slightly.

Note, I replaced the bolt that holds the bracket with a stud and nut that makes it easy. It also assures a better ground for that wire, as it is placed with the one a few inches forward on the frame and not connected to the anodized can bracket.

You can remove the lower section without unbolting from the car but you must be careful when threading the lower portion back on not to cross-thread. They are fine threads.

If you’re buying the can, suggest ordering the AN Fittings. That makes it easy to periodically remove the whole can, unscrew the upper aluminum section inside the top and clean the stainless ribbon (see lower pic in post 10.) I rinse mine with rubbing alcohol. Looks good as well. I have all branded stainless lines with AN fittings on fuel and oil lines on my Street Rod!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-08-2017 at 05:49 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:51 AM
mbaessler
Racer

Originally Posted by JerryU
Just answering your specific question - not debating the need or warranty question. See first paragraph in my post 5 of this thread!

I find it easier to unbolt the can, then remove/replace the lower portion of my Elite can. Makes it easier to screw it back on with it raised and tilted slightly.

Note, I replaced the bolt that holds the bracket with a stud and nut that makes it easy. It also assures a better ground for that wire, as it is placed with the one a few inches forward on the frame and not connected to the anodized can bracket.

You can remove the lower section without unbolting from the car but you must be careful when threading the lower portion back on not to cross-thread. They are fine threads.

If you’re buying the can, suggest ordering the AN Fittings. That makes it easy to periodically remove the whole can, unscrew the upper aluminum section inside the top and clean the stainless ribbon (see lower pic in post 10.) I rinse mine with rubbing alcohol. Looks good as well. I have all branded stainless lines with AN fittings on fuel and oil lines on my Street Rod!
Thanks for your help on this and post #5 is helpful, as I do want to lift the plenum cover a bit to get some leverage with my hands to get the old hose off. Couple more questions if you please. Can you just unbolt the drivers side of the Plenium cover and lift it enough or do you need to do both sides. Also can you leave the wire harness in place that I read that some folks had to remove. Also what is a "AN" fitting? Sorry about all the questions, but when I do this I want to have my act together. Appreciate your patience. Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Catch Can from Corvette Mod's installed

Old 11-08-2017, 10:01 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^

No problem, those questions and more you didn’t know to ask in this install PDF of a “can” on my 2014 Z51 and a reinstall on my Grand Sport. http://netwelding.com/Catch_Can.pdf

You’ll see on the Z51 I did remove the bolts holding the manifold cover but just wedged it up and front. With the Grand Sport did not remove anything.

Pic of the AN (Army/Navy) fittings that make it easy to remove the can without removing the clamps and hose from hose barbs. They use metal to metal seats that seal perfectly. Just unscrew to remove. These are made from aluminum so can use a special aluminum wrench or just put thin tape on a standard wrench face. You’ll see the special aluminum AN wrench I use in the PDF.

This is a pic of AN fittings, offered as an option by Elite.
Out of town so did not have access to the original photo.
This one is from the multi page PDF link above. I took a pic of it from my iPad with my iPhone, emailed to myself, opened email on my iPad, saved to photos and pasted here! Technology is fascinating, and pic quality surprisingly good!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-08-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:06 AM
mbaessler
Racer

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^^

No problem, those questions and more you didn’t know to ask in this install PDF of a “can” on my 2014 Z51 and a reinstall on my Grand Sport. http://netwelding.com/Catch_Can.pdf

You’ll see on the Z51 I did remove the bolts holding the manifold cover but just wedged it up and front. With the Grand Sport did not remove anything.

Good pics on the Army/Navy AN fittings that make it easy to remove the can without removing the clamps and hose from hose barbs.
Wow this is terrific! Very helpful, thanks for the tips!!!!!
Old 11-08-2017, 10:36 AM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

oil is not only consumed through the pcv vacuum return line

some stock, and more so if modified, driven aggressively, or raced will have this clean side oiling as crank flows reverse out the clean side as pressure builds

if you are in the market for a can you will want to check here:

closed or 'conventional' 2 port cans do not have the ability to help with this

cans with a third port or breather top like my Draft / Mild systems can assist in some pressure control, but the stock pcv is quite restrictive, so this assistance is fairly limited, and I rate my cans here for stock to bolt ons / cam type situation.

some employ 'clean side separators' as a band-aid; which have some oil control but as a bad side effect, the materials put in place to catch the oil, also restrict airflow out of the engine, which can lead to further crankcase pressure increase and thus in general counter-productive

my PCV can however gets around this restriction, and can control much higher than stock airflows for racing or high modification levels without upsetting normal pcv function. this stops pressure from building and therefore stops this clean side oiling.

video demonstrations:

Last edited by David@MMS; 11-08-2017 at 10:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Catch Can from Corvette Mod's installed