C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is under hood pad/insulation necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 09:52 AM
VETTEC599
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Is under hood pad/insulation necessary?

The pad on my '99 FRC is showing its age. I am planning remove it and install a new pad/sound deadening materials. I have no desire to add a custom painted/custom pad - I just want something simple. Any thoughts appreciated! Thank you in advance. For my own knowledge - is any pad/insulation really necessary?
Old 01-02-2016, 09:57 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I have seen several c5s without the insulation, I doubt it will hurt anything.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:16 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

You can still (last I checked) purchase new OEM style hood insulators and a good handful of vendors offer them, including some having custom options. What's going to kill you though if you go the vendor route is likely the shipping. They're typically shipped freight in a fairly large oversized box as they can't be bent. If you can still purchase one from your local GM dealer check with them as you can often avoid shipping costs since it would come in for their regular parts delivery.

If the liner is physically still in good shape but simply looks bad - faded, material rising, etc - you can re-finish it. There's a few guides both here on the forum and elsewhere of owners who have re-finished them, including adding their own personal touches like painted emblems.

EDIT: Didn't answer the other part of the question. I too have seen individuals not run it but do not know of any ill-effects. At the worst, I would think that you would likely deal with discoloration of the hood from where the liner was (can be cleaned up with a good detailing) and maybe see higher hood heat if you were to physically touch it.

Last edited by Velocity_Vette; 01-02-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:35 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I bought 3 NOS pads when I bought my car about 4 years ago. They were about $125 each with no shipping costs from the local dealer.

They come in a huge box.

I had found a vendor who had them but they wanted about $200 for them and the shipping was $195.

If GM still has any there can't be many at this time.

Mr. Sam
Old 01-02-2016, 11:58 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

When I had my '00, I had a Motor City Mold hood on the car and with it the insulation pad would not work. Ran it that way for better than five years with no adverse effect on the paint. So yes, you can leave the insulation pad off if you so desire.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:12 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

you do not need the hood insulator, they are there to help keep noise down rather than heat retention... my blower was rubbing ever so slightly on a small piece of the insulator so I decided to take it off along with the hood light... in my opinion it looks much better without it
Old 01-02-2016, 05:48 PM
ezrider4u2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Roll without it...it helps with weight reduction Sorry, had to throw that in there. Aftermarket hood and painted-no issues even with supercharger.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:26 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

the liner is also there to fall onto an engine fire to help smother it.

Dave
Old 12-02-2018, 07:19 PM
casper 1954
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The hood insulation on my 2006 has a hole aproximately 3" x 3" I have not had any luck purchasing one from the various Corvette vendors and the local Chevrolet dealer said it was discontinued. I wouldn't mind purchasing one used that is in good condition or if anyone has an idea where I can purchase one that would be great, thanks and as always SAVE THE WAVE
Old 12-02-2018, 09:56 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by casper 1954
The hood insulation on my 2006 has a hole aproximately 3" x 3" I have not had any luck purchasing one from the various Corvette vendors and the local Chevrolet dealer said it was discontinued. I wouldn't mind purchasing one used that is in good condition or if anyone has an idea where I can purchase one that would be great, thanks and as always SAVE THE WAVE
If you get to Corvettes at Carlisle in August, there are typically a few vendors there selling them.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 12-12-2018, 10:31 AM
greast
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T_Vert
the liner is also there to fall onto an engine fire to help smother it.

Dave
I'm a retired Firefighter and IF the pad falls off and covers the engine, it actually prevents/blocks the water from a hose line from getting to the seat of the fire. The first thing you need to do is remove the pad for unimpeded access, which can be difficult. So, if you are planning on having an engine fire, leave it off. JMHO - greast
Old 12-12-2018, 11:14 AM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by greast
I'm a retired Firefighter and IF the pad falls off and covers the engine, it actually prevents/blocks the water from a hose line from getting to the seat of the fire. The first thing you need to do is remove the pad for unimpeded access, which can be difficult. So, if you are planning on having an engine fire, leave it off. JMHO - greast
You'd think you'd have enough line pressure to blow that thing right off. I'm also an ex FF and never had that issue. If you pull that off and introduce a bunch more air that isn't exactly a great idea.

Dave
Old 12-12-2018, 02:40 PM
05MBMGTO
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by greast
[QUOTE=T_Vert;1598487325]You'd think you'd have enough line pressure to blow that thing right off. I'm also an ex FF and never had that issue. If you pull that off and introduce a bunch more air that isn't exactly a great idea.

Im gonna go out on a limb and say that if you had an engine fire that required a fire truck and hose their isnt gonna be much left of the motor/car at that point anyway. LOL at that point that stupid pad isnt gonna make a lick of a difference on or off.
The only useful point of that pad is to keep valvetrain/engine noise down outside and look pretty.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:28 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=05MBMGTO;1598488582]
Originally Posted by T_Vert
You'd think you'd have enough line pressure to blow that thing right off. I'm also an ex FF and never had that issue. If you pull that off and introduce a bunch more air that isn't exactly a great idea.

Im gonna go out on a limb and say that if you had an engine fire that required a fire truck and hose their isnt gonna be much left of the motor/car at that point anyway. LOL at that point that stupid pad isnt gonna make a lick of a difference on or off.
The only useful point of that pad is to keep valvetrain/engine noise down outside and look pretty.
actually the purpose is to limit air to the fire to prevent a largr fire. One that the property owner can contain hopefully. They can be effective at that but it also depends upon the source of fuel. That is why the hold downs (ups?) are thin plastic. The od of the clips melt quickly dropping the pad. Think of opening a door and a backdraft. If you don't introduce air it can't burn efficiently. .but what do I know..

Dave

Last edited by T_Vert; 12-12-2018 at 03:44 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Is under hood pad/insulation necessary?

Quick Reply: Is under hood pad/insulation necessary?