Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built thread - 2001 z06

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 06:55 PM
AndersT
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Built thread - 2001 z06 (Lots of Pics)

The last 8 years I´ve enjoyed all the info given at CF – and now it´s my turn to give something back. I sold the old 69´ vert in 2013 and bought a 2001 z06. It´s original a Canadian car but imported to Sweden in 2005, where it have had 2 owners. I bought it from the owner since 2006 – and then I imported it from Sweden to Denmark.

When I bought it, it had already som mods:
  • Vara-Ram VR-B2 intake kit
  • De Witt radiator w/ int. engine oil cooler
  • XS-power stainless long tube headers, 3” stainless mid pipe with race cats and the z06 TI cat-back
  • Co-Axial harness bar
  • Elite Engineering tunnel plate and catch can
  • OEM Z06 calibers with LG Performance SS pistons
  • 2-piece floating Performance Friction and PF street pads in front – and 1-piece Stop Tech and PF street pads in rear
  • DRM front brake duct kit
  • OEM fog light kit

The rest of the vette was right as factory – including the torch red paint and the OEM red/black z06 interior.

I´ve already collected a lot of parts and more to come – as I´m doing a complete restoration/modification. The goal is a good looking street car – it will never see a race track, but shall be able to handle on the streets. It´s not at daily driver, but I do also drive it to work sometimes in the summer. In vinter it is storaged. I will most certain need lots of advise from all you CF-members – but please be in mind that i live in Denmark (which means huge import taxes on every little part, huge shipping cost from the US and very few mecanics that really now how to work on a corvette).

This is the vette when I bought it

Previous owner had it alligned in OEM height, and to me it overall looks old and tired. The paint has marks and scratches, and in general it needs a bit TLC. There has been made some good mods, but I´ll take it even further.

Since 2013 I´ve replaced the TI-cat back with B&B quad Bullets (gives an awesome sound when combined with the headers), a LMC5 module was installed (learned it the hard way – but had as others awesome service at Richard/compliance parts).

Right now it´s being disassembled and preped for paint. I don´t like the black stripe, and I want a bit more deep red color. It will be painted Lamboghini Rosso Mars and with gloss black roof and mirrors. Other mods will be:
  • Lewis 5 rear fenders (the finish is not as bad as many others have posted - but of course a little bit of prep is needed)
  • CCW T-1000 in comp.gray front 10x19 and rear 12,5x20 – with Pirelli P-Zero front 275/30-19 and rear 345/25-20 (had the best experience with John – as a lot other forum member – he certainly knows how to give customer satisfaction)
  • Carravaggio rear spoiler
  • The night flyer package from Radioflyer – with some extra added (euro turn signals, full LED headlights)
  • Custom fiber glass frame for the smaller Danish license plate (front and rear) – which fits poorly compared to the US plate
  • RK covers for the engine compartment (most painted gloss black, but the 1-piece engine cover will have some red added)
  • Vara-Ram Power duct (and an re-allignement of the CAI-kit)
  • Stance coilover kit (there are a lot of kits available, but this will meet my needs and I´ve got a great deal with Dennis at DD Mods – again fantastic to deal with awesome vendors)

All the wiring is being fixed (Bubba WAS there but everything will be fixed, soldered and coveret in flex hoses). This is the rear harness before and after:

I even found the build sheet in the front frame - nice to know, that it is untouched

I hope to be finished in 5-6 month – as I can only use weekends and holidays. But I rather use an extra month instead of making a poor result.

Let the journey begin… ;-)

Last edited by AndersT; 08-04-2016 at 04:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AndersT:
IMXCITD (03-30-2016), Scotty_Z06 (12-04-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 07:14 PM
EVs_C5
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Excited to see the end result! Especially that color!
Old 03-30-2016, 07:35 PM
derz_vette
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

That car is insanely expensive in Denmark I am betting...
Old 03-30-2016, 08:11 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by EVs_C5
Excited to see the end result! Especially that color!
Old 03-30-2016, 08:38 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Nice car. The mods so far are good ones and those that you have planned will really enhance the car as well. Good luck and looking forward to following your progress.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:51 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

I know you warned me but you gotta supercharge it.

Sorry, I can't help myself, with what you have planned it would be so awesome to sound and run as bad a$$ as it's going to look.

Good luck

Can't wait for the pics.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:16 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

Nice build! Thank you for giving back and sharing w the forum!
Old 03-31-2016, 01:41 AM
AndersT
Instructor

Originally Posted by derz_vette
That car is insanely expensive in Denmark I am betting...
Yes - we have pretty high import taxes and VAT - so every USD spend in the US (shipping included) costs me aprox. 11,00-11,50 DKK even though the official exchange rate is 6,7-7,0...

And then I guess we have the most expensive license plate in the world. We pay a "tax" in order to get the vehicle registred in the Danish DMV and be able to drive it on Danish plates. A few month ago they deducted the tax from 180% to 150% of the import price (but still a lot of Money).

The numbers speaks for itself: when I registred the vette in 2013 it was 12 years old and had 100.000 km on the odometer. It was not in show condidition - but even though I paid almost 34k USD in registration taxes. It is calculated based on the Danish selling price in 2001 which was about 190k USD, and then adjusted to actual selling price for a 12 year used vehicle. Now in 2016 registred C5´s are offered for sale from 44k to 66k USD - depending on options, year and condition.

But we have lots of other good things in Denmark, and who really cares about cars...

Last edited by AndersT; 03-31-2016 at 01:44 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:07 AM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by AndersT
Yes - we have pretty high import taxes and VAT - so every USD spend in the US (shipping included) costs me aprox. 11,00-11,50 DKK even though the official exchange rate is 6,7-7,0...

And then I guess we have the most expensive license plate in the world. We pay a "tax" in order to get the vehicle registred in the Danish DMV and be able to drive it on Danish plates. A few month ago they deducted the tax from 180% to 150% of the import price (but still a lot of Money).

The numbers speaks for itself: when I registred the vette in 2013 it was 12 years old and had 100.000 km on the odometer. It was not in show condidition - but even though I paid almost 34k USD in registration taxes. It is calculated based on the Danish selling price in 2001 which was about 190k USD, and then adjusted to actual selling price for a 12 year used vehicle. Now in 2016 registred C5´s are offered for sale from 44k to 66k USD - depending on options, year and condition.

But we have lots of other good things in Denmark, and who really cares about cars...
So you paid roughly 78K for this car?

Shakey
Old 03-31-2016, 02:08 PM
AndersT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
So you paid roughly 78K for this car?

Shakey
My import price from Sweden where approx. 27k USD - which is the same price as paying 17,5k USD for a car in the US, another 2k for shipping to Denmark and upon that 10% in import tax and 25% VAT.

So my total price where approx. 61k USD included all taxes. It´s a high figure, but only due to the taxes. I think the compared base price at 17,5k USD is OK.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:39 PM
Glasact
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

My import price from Sweden where approx. 27k USD - which is the same price as paying 17,5k USD for a car in the US, another 2k for shipping to Denmark and upon that 10% in import tax and 25% VAT.

So my total price where approx. 61k USD included all taxes. It´s a high figure, but only due to the taxes. I think the compared base price at 17,5k USD is OK.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:27 PM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

I feel sure that if I lived there I would be in the shape of my life......from walking everywhere.......

Shakey
Old 04-22-2016, 03:14 PM
AndersT
Instructor

Back to business and topic - now as everybody have had their nightmare about Danish taxes...

I´ve spend some hours on the wires. The rear end is finished (everething soldered up and packed in wire looms - ready to test the new LED rear ligths from radioflyer with euro signal ligth built in.

In front I´ve made the new wirering for the HID fog ligths (complete new wirering in 2,5 mm2), made brackets for the driver and the resistance for the LED headlights, and started to route everything nicely.

It takes a lot of time to clean everything up, solder and make a nice routing - but soon i´m done and can start doing some of the "bigger" things, where there will be a more visible progress

Right side before - with all the extra wires

In progress

Left side all packed and routed
Old 04-22-2016, 04:43 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Very nice, can't wait to see it completed!
Old 05-09-2016, 04:14 PM
AndersT
Instructor

Haven´t had that much time lately - but it´s still in progress yet slowly.

Cleaning up wires in the engine bay I found an unknown fan controller unit from Vinci Power Products. It was hidden under the coolant tank - but its unknown how it controls/affects the fans. It is not routed nicely and I dont like wires routed out everywhere from the fuse box. Im installing the CoolIT hardwire kit from SacCity Corvette, so this unit going out.

Battery tray before and after. Nice to see that there is no sign of any former acid leak. I´ve routed all the new wires from the right head light cove, under the coolant tank an in the battery tray. Its a harness for the HID fog lights and a harness for my custom hood light (will have a pressure switch, and lights will mounted in the engine bay as the Hood will be painted both sides, and I want it to look clean). The relay to the Hi-4 harness from Radioflyer is mounted to a little custom bracket that is riveted to the inner fender.

Have received a lot of glass fiber parts for engine dress up - here is a test fit of the 1-piece cover from DD Mods

The switch for the CoolIt hardwire is mounted - looks almost as it is OEM. The other part of the kit is routed into the cabin and ready to install, when rest of the interior electricity is done.

I´ve used the top post battery terminals to make an easy connection for the battery charger.

I plan a later project for the interior - but for now I just leave it as it is. I´ve made a temporary plate that mounts instead of the ash tray (can be deleted easy as it only pushes in as the ash tray). The plate will have a master switch for the new hood light, so it can be disconnected manual at car shows, daylight and working on the engine.

Hope to be done with all the wirering within af few weeks, so everything can be tested - but I´m still waiting for some parts to the extra turn signals on the front fenders (by Danish law).
Old 05-11-2016, 01:05 AM
darryl in pcb
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing this with us, can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:11 AM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Do you go here? Lots of English speakers.

http://www.corvetteforum.de

frank

Get notified of new replies

To Built thread - 2001 z06

Old 05-14-2016, 03:38 PM
AndersT
Instructor

Originally Posted by JETZ
Do you go here? Lots of English speakers.

http://www.corvetteforum.de

frank
I´ve been around the german forum now and then, but always returned to this site as I seems easier to find information. Lots of them speaks English but the post in german which makes it hard to do a good search
Old 05-14-2016, 03:52 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

Loving this!
Old 05-14-2016, 04:12 PM
AndersT
Instructor

The CoolIt is now installed and works perfect. Really easy to install and a nice quality product

I removed the Vinci fan controller, but found a mess in the fan harness were the vinci controller was spliced into the high fan hot wire. I´m glad I did this now as it would have melted the wire within few years...

The light package from Radioflyer was installed and tested today. And I can only say WAUW...! It makes a great diffence when replacing all the OEM lights. Didn´t shoot any picture with lights on but I will be fantastic when the paint job is finished and I can start the final assembly. It´s not permitted by Danish inspection to run HID headlights if the car hasn´t Automatic level adjustment on the headlight, so George made me a special kit with 6K LED´s in both high and low beam and installed a resistor in order to have the correct draw to raise the headlights. And it Works perfect. I´m amazed by the quality and finish in his products - it really supports the fact that you get what you pay for. Because of the distance (and the fact this is my first rebuilt/modification at this size) I´ve emailed him several questions, and he always gives an answer within very few hours. Bump for a very helpful vendor - and I can pass the best recommendations to everybody who is in the marked for his products

The Hood will be painted both sides and the OEM Hood light will be removed to make it look "clean". I´ve installed some White LED strips in front of the radiator and fitted a pressure switch to connect/reconnect ground when the Hood is closed or open. It is wired to a master switch in the center console where I can control it (e.g. at shows with all day open hood). I did not use the OEM hot wire, as I dont like to splice aftermarket accessories into the OEM harness. So its feeded by its own harness from the power outlet at the engine fuse center.

I can not describe how happy I was when everything just worked as supposed when it was powered up today. It is truly a satisfaction when all the wirering has been taken apart during the last couple of month

Quick Reply: Built thread - 2001 z06