Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Billy Boat Bullet Drone?

Old 04-07-2016, 02:42 PM
JoaneWing
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Billy Boat Bullet Drone?

If anyone has the B&B Bullet exhaust, can you tell me if the drone is bad? Thanks!
Old 04-07-2016, 03:10 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I don't think the drone is bad, but drone is very subjective, and I drive only in M so if I hit a spot where it's a little "droney", I just shift gears. There is nowhere near as much on the LT1 as the Bullets on any of the LS engines (I had Bullets on LS2, 3 & 7), but it's nowhere near as loud, either.

Maybe someone near you (wherever that is), who has them installed in their C7, can give you a ride so you can judge for yourself, because someone else will be along momentarily to say that the drone is atrocious.

Last edited by owc6; 04-07-2016 at 03:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JoaneWing (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 03:11 PM
johnm1850
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JoaneWing
If anyone has the B&B Bullet exhaust, can you tell me if the drone is bad? Thanks!
I am BB Bullets on my C6, there is some drone. I didn't mind it at all. It depends on what you can tolerate. I could have conversations and talk on the radio no problem. I put 20000 miles on my car with them on.
JoaneWing (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 03:52 PM
tyho
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I have a 2015 Z51 M7 with ARH mid length, a Borla catless x-pipe an the Bullet exhaust with NPP deleted and actuators removed. The car drones in 4 cylinder mode on the highway, switching gears alleviates any drone. The sound is awesome much lower and really not overly loud unless the car is in wot. Recommend the Bullets.
JoaneWing (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 05:02 PM
Edward Weaver
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There are several Billy Boat Bullet products. The Billy Boat Bullet PRT is the one with the least drone when you are off the accelerator, or just cruising, but wonderfully throaty when on it.

I have this one on my 2014 C7M7 2LT Coupe and I love it. This model is advertised as no drone, and it comes to about 99% drone free when not on it.
JoaneWing (04-08-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 05:21 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
I don't think the drone is bad, but drone is very subjective, and I drive only in M so if I hit a spot where it's a little "droney", I just shift gears. There is nowhere near as much on the LT1 as the Bullets on any of the LS engines (I had Bullets on LS2, 3 & 7), but it's nowhere near as loud, either.

Maybe someone near you (wherever that is), who has them installed in their C7, can give you a ride so you can judge for yourself, because someone else will be along momentarily to say that the drone is atrocious.
100%
JoaneWing (04-08-2016)
Old 10-17-2017, 11:10 PM
Tj25
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Just today got a bbe bullets installed on my 2006 base auto,

they are crazy loud man. It almost feels like the engine is in the back not in the front.

i love the sound of a nice exhaust but this thing is a little beasty , not sure if i will get used to it. Definately fun to listen when you step on it but its all the time there.

Hmmm,i wish these had a wild to mild option
Old 10-18-2017, 10:49 AM
Martman C7
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Edward Weaver
There are several Billy Boat Bullet products. The Billy Boat Bullet PRT is the one with the least drone when you are off the accelerator, or just cruising, but wonderfully throaty when on it.

I have this one on my 2014 C7M7 2LT Coupe and I love it. This model is advertised as no drone, and it comes to about 99% drone free when not on it.
There is only one Bullet system, Billy Boat offers a few different models of exhaust for the C7. Not sure of all of them but I know they have the PRT (which you mention), Fusion, and Bullet.

To the OP, when I did a search on doing a "muffler delete", I came across a thread where someone had purchased a used C7 that the owner supposedly gotten rid of the car because the exhaust was just too loud and droned too much. I was considering going with the PRT system, as I don't want any drone. After reading some posts from members that did the muffler delete and being happy with it, I took the chance figuring I could just put the stock mufflers back on or just buy the PRT system and replace the muffler delete I installed.

I'm very glad I went muffler delete. I bought 2 of the Flosmaster 15391 dual 4" tips, and then had a muffler shop cut out the mufflers and weld in pipe between the new tips, and existing exhaust pipe. Muffler shop charged $125 and tips were 54.28 each from Summit Racing. The C7 has 4 cats if you have the stock x pipe so it's really not that loud, you loose a bunch of weight cutting out the mufflers, and it only cost a couple hundred bucks. One thing to note is that for about the first 30 seconds on cold start-up, it's pretty loud, then quiets down nicely until you get into the throttle. The sound on WOT throttle is glorious. Just my .02 for what it's worth.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:59 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Edward Weaver

I have Billy Boat PRT on mine.Everything was good til header install.
Now I have drone. I’m thinking on going with A milder muffler.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:51 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Honestly, Drone is very subjective...

What I hear, you may not. What drives me nutz may not bother you
at all.

My wife says my C5 droned bad, but it was close to pitch perfect for me...

If you are worried about drone, then the PRT's or Corsa are about
your only choices...

Regards
Chip

Old 10-18-2017, 04:59 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Drone's presence/absence isn't subjective - it's quite measurable. As to whether it bothers someone, that's subjective. I hate any drone, so when looking for any aftermarket exhaust I always look for ones engineered with Helmholtz resonators on them. These will cancel the range of frequencies that resonate inside the cabin (that's what drone is - loud exhaust is analogous to blowing over the top of a Coke bottle which sets up a resonance tone at the natural frequency of the inside of the car - most cars this is around 120Hz). Here's what they look like:

The Helmholtz resonators are the cans coming 90 degrees off the pipes just before the mufflers. They are made to be 1/4 the length of the offending/droning sound's wavelength. They are closed on the end and so setup a standing wave that exactly counters those frequencies.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:02 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
Drone's presence/absence isn't subjective - it's quite measurable.
That is true ^^^^

If you can hear it or not is subjective, which is why some of our
customers it does not bother all, and some get droned out
of the car with the very same system.

Remember, there was always those who did not flinch at all when
someone dragged their fingernails down the chalkboard

Regards
Chip
Old 10-18-2017, 11:18 PM
Rich150001
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA Corvette Parts
That is true ^^^^

If you can hear it or not is subjective, which is why some of our
customers it does not bother all, and some get droned out
of the car with the very same system.

Remember, there was always those who did not flinch at all when
someone dragged their fingernails down the chalkboard

Regards
Chip
I have the Bullet paired with a Corsa Extreme and I love it. There is some drone, but it varies a lot depending on the gear / rpm you're at. I get compliments on the sound from strangers all the time. It gurgles, pops and roars. Probably one of the loudest, muscle'ish setups you can get for the C7.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:54 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

So does anyone know what exhaust system (axle back or x pipe, etc) has Helmholtz resonators and works with NPP on Grand Sports without needing a tune?
Old 10-19-2017, 12:14 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,402 Likes on 1,588 Posts

The only drone free exhaust, at less equivalent to the negligible drone of the OEM exhaust, is Corsa. They’ve been pretty consistent across the line... There is a level of resonation w/BB, which as mentioned, is subjective.

Edit: ... forgot to mention Akrapovic. Also drone free, but it’ll cost ya.

Last edited by sTz; 10-19-2017 at 12:18 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Billy Boat Bullet Drone?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Billy Boat Bullet Drone?