Sponsored by:

Tablet install 2005 C5 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 11:30 AM
zachzacharyzak
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tablet install 2005 C5 corvette

I recently installed a tablet into my c5 corvette and have been asked to make instructions. I unfortunately did not take many pictures however i will describe in as much detail as possible.

http://imgur.com/a/IhVtx

Before you start pros and cons
Pros
tablet offers amazing customization like the torque app, pandora, music, wallpapers, web browser, navigation and so much more. Its also pretty cheap to do. The whole project cost 200-250.

Cons
Take a while to finish, no fm or am radio, no cd player, not enough bass.

Things you will need.
Alpine ktp-445u (amp)
Galaxy tab 3 (tablet) you can also use other tablets no bigger then 7in. Make sure its bluetooth 4.0!!!
Usb Charger

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201148584475?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AITrca to 3.5mm adapter
rca Y splitter (this is very important if you want rear and front speakers)

Elm 327 Elm 327
(allows torque app to work for guages and check engine light checking and even minor diagnostics)

Every thing else you need is minor stuff like heat shrink, wire, fuse tap, ratchet, sockets, torqx bits etc.

links to help you
Watch these and read these very well. This is basically the pictures and video i didn't take

http://www.androidauthority.com/tabl...nstall-631519/

Apps youll need when your done.

This app will allow you to choose what ever tablet you want regarding the home and back buttons so you dont have to be limited to tablets that are button free.

This app will get rid of distortion in the speakers while the tablet is charging. This app does cost 3 dollars but worked perfect on my tab 3.

This app force rotations of apps that do not work in landscape

This app gives you easy volume control on your screen

This app will allow check engine light diagnosing and all sorts of gauges on your screen.

If you start this project feel free to contact me with any questions!
The following 3 users liked this post by zachzacharyzak:
ArmchairArchitect (10-06-2021), a_ahmed (05-19-2016), r0bd (01-06-2017)
Old 05-13-2016, 10:39 PM
carluver
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could this be used to control hvac?
Old 05-13-2016, 10:54 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,302 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Interesting mod. Thanks for posting up the info.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:21 AM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

interesting, well done
Old 05-14-2016, 10:17 AM
Rico7142
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 340 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by FourG63 97GST
interesting, well done
Old 05-16-2016, 01:33 AM
weems
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you customize the dash to fit correctly? I am very interested in doing this mod.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:52 PM
zachzacharyzak
Intermediate

Originally Posted by weems
How did you customize the dash to fit correctly? I am very interested in doing this mod.
Bondono, dremel, sanding and paint
Sorry for the late reply

Last edited by zachzacharyzak; 07-31-2016 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Miss type
Old 07-31-2016, 03:56 PM
zachzacharyzak
Intermediate

By the way guys this is an 04 corvette. I can't seem to edit the post without an error
Old 07-31-2016, 03:56 PM
zachzacharyzak
Intermediate

Originally Posted by carluver
could this be used to control hvac?
With android anything is possible. But I would have no idea where to begin

Last edited by zachzacharyzak; 07-31-2016 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Miss type
Old 04-24-2018, 12:06 AM
Scholioso
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What ate the odds the op still has this setup? I would be very interested in hearing about how its worked over the years, what would you have done, etc.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:13 AM
sirdano
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts

there is an app for FM radio
TuneIn Radio
Old 04-24-2018, 10:59 AM
zachzacharyzak
Intermediate

Tablet is still working well since. I've made a few upgrades like adding an adapter so it uses the Bose amp for better sound quality. I did have some issues with my Corvette forum account so I'm not sure if this is the same log in info. If you have any questions let me know
Old 04-24-2018, 11:12 AM
Scholioso
Racer

Originally Posted by zachzacharyzak
Tablet is still working well since. I've made a few upgrades like adding an adapter so it uses the Bose amp for better sound quality. I did have some issues with my Corvette forum account so I'm not sure if this is the same log in info. If you have any questions let me know
I have tons of questions! Do you have to manually power the tablet off, or does it just stay plugged in & charges 24/7, does it come on with the key, etc?

Do you know if there is a way to hook up a backup camera at all to a tablet? I haven't found one, just curious.

I know there's a aux to rtv adapter to run the speakers. I have a 5 channel amp, with 6 total rtv inputs. 2 for front, 2 for rear, 2 for subwoofer. Is there a way to run that at all?

Lastly, would you have done anything differently looking back on it? Thanks!
Old 04-24-2018, 12:42 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

If you don't need top of the line Android experience, I would suggest getting one of the Chinese Android single/double DIN units. They are already configured to use the radio and backup camera functions, already have the preouts, and fit right into the radio slot. The latest and greatest are the PX5 4gb units, which are probably on par with a Note 3. You can use a USB DAC for better sound if you want, there's a decently sized community around these units.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:12 PM
Scholioso
Racer

Originally Posted by Tsumi
If you don't need top of the line Android experience, I would suggest getting one of the Chinese Android single/double DIN units. They are already configured to use the radio and backup camera functions, already have the preouts, and fit right into the radio slot. The latest and greatest are the PX5 4gb units, which are probably on par with a Note 3. You can use a USB DAC for better sound if you want, there's a decently sized community around these units.
Have you had any experience with those? I don't really want to go double din cuz I don't like how narrow they are. The double din units look funny to me having the hvac wider than the radio itself. Just doesnt flow or look right to me. But thats what I was looking at prior. I was looking into a Pioneer 7" deck. Rearview camera isn't necessary, but would be a nice feature. I don't care for am or fm radio, I don't ever use either.

Heres what I'm looking to do but with a divider between the hvac & tablet as I think it would look better.
https://amp.reddit.com/r/Corvette/comments/769gzf/c5_samsung_tablet_headunit/
Old 04-24-2018, 01:39 PM
zachzacharyzak
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tsumi
I agree with this. If I could go back that's what I would have done. But the android tablets allows more customization. I have led lights controlled by Bluetooth that require Bluetooth 4.0. if you guys have any direct questions about the install email me zachzacharyzak@gmail.com. I have alot of issues with this site and my note 8. Log in issues and crashing. It's hard to reply to these. Feel free to post my responses in the chat so other people know.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:03 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Originally Posted by Scholioso
Have you had any experience with those? I don't really want to go double din cuz I don't like how narrow they are. The double din units look funny to me having the hvac wider than the radio itself. Just doesnt flow or look right to me. But thats what I was looking at prior. I was looking into a Pioneer 7" deck. Rearview camera isn't necessary, but would be a nice feature. I don't care for am or fm radio, I don't ever use either.

Heres what I'm looking to do but with a divider between the hvac & tablet as I think it would look better.
https://amp.reddit.com/r/Corvette/co...blet_headunit/
I have a PX5 unit in one car and an Intel SoFIA unit in my C5. I primarily use them for bluetooth streaming, and they work just fine for that purpose. I also do bluetooth tethering and run Waze directly off of the head unit, and it works fine, though a bit laggy at times (only tried on the SoFIA unit, haven't set it up on the PX5 yet).

Originally Posted by zachzacharyzak
I agree with this. If I could go back that's what I would have done. But the android tablets allows more customization. I have led lights controlled by Bluetooth that require Bluetooth 4.0. if you guys have any direct questions about the install email me zachzacharyzak@gmail.com. I have alot of issues with this site and my note 8. Log in issues and crashing. It's hard to reply to these. Feel free to post my responses in the chat so other people know.
The newest ones come with Bluetooth 4.0.

Get notified of new replies

To Tablet install 2005 C5 corvette

Old 04-24-2018, 09:12 PM
Scholioso
Racer

What are the advantages of a PX5? Is it made by Joying? I've never heard of them, are they good? I had a double din pioneer a few years ago. Was ok, but slow. I've just never heard of these PX5's so I'd like to get some feedback/description.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:24 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

PX5 refers to the chipset, just like SoFIA is a chipset. PX5 is made by Rockchip. It has 8 ARM A53 cores at 1.5 ghz, which puts it on par with a Snapdragon 617/430/435 as far as the CPU is concerned. Joying makes a number of PX5 models, as well as many others on Ebay.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:48 PM
Scholioso
Racer

Not gonna lie, I don't know what a lot of that means. What would you recommend? I don't need am or fm, bluetooth is a must, fast as possible, navigation would be cool but not a dealbreaker. Needs to have 3 rca outputs for the 5 channel amp I have. Or if theres an adapter I'm not aware of, I can get that too.

Quick Reply: Tablet install 2005 C5 corvette